Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
RETIRED PHILLY FIREFIGHTER
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Discussion
Short Skyvan Plans

Anyone know where I can purchase or find a printable set of plans for a short Skyvan? Wingspan around 40" or so. Always wanted to build one of these. Thanks, The Vagabond
Vagabond324 is offline Find More Posts by Vagabond324
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:20 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,728 Posts
https://www.modelaircraft.org/plansa...ans%20balsa%22
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:27 PM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Check out "scratch built foamies". Its the first thread down under the sticky with a link to plans.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Last edited by KenSt; Oct 12, 2006 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:29 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
I've thought about doing a much larger version - 100"+ - after seeing Ivan Pettigrew's Bristol Freighter fly. Neat subject! If you get those plans, please let us know how they look.

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:20 PM
belgium
Joined Feb 2004
118 Posts
hi,

hello,

this is a link for order the skyvan for 2 speed 400

http://www.vth.de/shop/shopfiles/pro...wcat=1&sparte=

y hope that this is what you are searching for

regards
wim
wimpy is offline Find More Posts by wimpy
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:57 PM
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy
hello,

this is a link for order the skyvan for 2 speed 400

http://www.vth.de/shop/shopfiles/pro...wcat=1&sparte=

y hope that this is what you are searching for

regards
wim
Thanks, I saw that one but could not figure out how to order from the site. I just called AMA and ordered their 48" set of plans that is shown in post #2 of this thread. Hopefully I can thin it down so as it will work out as an electric. I would have loved to order the one you mention as it's already designed for electric. Thanks again, Jon
Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:12 PM
www.toddsmodels.com
North Bend, WA.
Joined Apr 2000
1,832 Posts
http://plans.rcmodell.hu/planelect.html

Free plans somewhere on this page and they are electric.

Todd
www.toddsmodels.com
Todd Long is offline Find More Posts by Todd Long
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:06 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
I built the Shorts Skyvan provided by vth.de (Verlag für Technik und Handwerk) back in the late 90s. It was actually a free plan in one of their magazines called FMT (Flugmodell und Technik) and the accompanying article — which, I understand, also comes with plans if ordered — was quite thorough. The model's designer and the article's author, Jonas Kesseler, is a very, very skilled eflight modeler — and his plans are excellent!

The model flies beautifully and I would highly recommend it. It is, though, traditional balsa construction and takes time to build. I built mine with the same liverly as Mr. Kesseler's: BusyBee Airlines in Norway. But, unlike Mr. Kesseler's, instead of 7.2-volt 400 motors I used 6-volt 400 motors. The photos here are of my model.

If you're really desperate, send me a PM and we could possibly work something out. Living in Germany makes such orders easier.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:35 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
I just looked at the RCM list of models provided in the link in Post #2 of this thread. The plan only costs $12, which isn't bad at all; it actually seems like a good deal. But it comes from a gas-power model review in a 1977 RCM issue. Weight wasn't such an issue 30 years ago. So I bet that will certainly require some dedicated eflight modifications since a twin-engine gas-powered model of that era likely makes use of beefy (e.g. heavy) construction materials and/or techniques.

It's also bigger. That too is nice. It's something I even considered. So a few years ago I enlarged the Kesseler plans by, I recall, 130%, which realized something like a 190cm, or a little over 6 ft., wing span. But I never got around to building it — and the plans made a great table cloth, eventually covered with spilled coffee and bread crums.

Price-wise, by comparison, the vth plan is not cheap. But if you were to enlarge it, you'd have a big, nicely designed for electric flight, milk-carton-like, model. (The Kesseler construction describes the Skyvan as a flying carton.)
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Oct 13, 2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:58 PM
No Guts No Glory
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2003
1,225 Posts
I agree the fmt plan is nice

I agree the fmt plan is very nice
kestrel2003 is offline Find More Posts by kestrel2003
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:20 PM
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Very nice of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik
I built the Shorts Skyvan provided by vth.de (Verlag für Technik und Handwerk) back in the late 90s. It was actually a free plan in one of their magazines called FMT (Flugmodell und Technik) and the accompanying article — which, I understand, also comes with plans if ordered — was quite thorough. The model's designer and the article's author, Jonas Kesseler, is a very, very skilled eflight modeler — and his plans are excellent!

The model flies beautifully and I would highly recommend it. It is, though, traditional balsa construction and takes time to build. I built mine with the same liverly as Mr. Kesseler's: BusyBee Airlines in Norway. But, unlike Mr. Kesseler's, instead of 7.2-volt 400 motors I used 6-volt 400 motors. The photos here are of my model.

If you're really desperate, send me a PM and we could possibly work something out. Living in Germany makes such orders easier.

Hi James, very nice of you to offer, I'll wait and see what the AMA plans look like, if they can be thinned out a bit, I'll give them a go. I really did want the kesseler plans but trying to order the plans without and knowledge of german, well it just left me scratching my head as to how to go about placing an order on their site. BTW: your plane is a Honey, very nice indeed. Busy Bee Lines, I like the color scheme, might do that one myself. Thanks again, Jon
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:21 AM
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Pictures available?

Anyone have any good color pictures of the Short Skyvan. I'd like to see some other airlines that ran this airframe as well as any Military colors if it was used by the military. On a Happy note, my wonderful penfriend in Germany has ordered the FMT plans for me and I should see them in a few weeks. Thanks again for the help. Best regards to you all
The Vagabond
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:24 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
There's some really great ones on Airliners.net - there's a completely insane one from Australia or Europe for some skydiving operation - trust me, you'll know it when you see it

-Sky
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:44 PM
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glue_sniffer
There's some really great ones on Airliners.net - there's a completely insane one from Australia or Europe for some skydiving operation - trust me, you'll know it when you see it

-Sky
Thanks Glue Sniffer, I see, I see, Wow how much talent would I need to reproduce that scheme? Guess I better start practicing
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:54 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Yeah it's uh....different, huh?

-Sky