HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:18 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,171 Posts
Flapless sounds the best,,,he made them flapless 9 years ago,maybe stll does or will do this to the next shipment of mc3's,,I'm sure he would love to save the xtra work required to cut the flaps in,,,I just can't eliminate them on this 1,,,,,,,Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:40 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,036 Posts
Ok, Here is the final assembly. I searched and searched and finally have come up with what I think is the best assembly of the Opus elevator ball links. Thanks to Dean for posting the thundertiger/raptor links. They are sweet! For those that would like to save a ridiculous amount of time and save a few bucks I will sell a few kits like the one shown. If you went out and purchased everything to make this you would spend $26.00 at the hobby store and then get material and make your own horns. I probably used up $50.00 in diesel just driving to all the places I had to go to find this stuff. That being said, $15.00 a set.and dont forget to use locktite.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:12 PM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
Fantastic job Joe, put me down for a set because those things look absolutely bomb proof !
I really like the way that configuration places the open end of the plastic link perpendicular to the vertical G load that would otherwise be trying to pull them off of the ball.

Dean

PayPal sent !
I threw in a little extra because I think your time and effort is worth more.
Not much more, but a little
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Last edited by D.S.; Oct 17, 2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:31 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,171 Posts
Great job Joe! those are great,,put me down for a pair as well,,Pm me with email so I can send $$ via pay pal,,,,Thanks Nick
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:33 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,171 Posts
Opus Flap Mod

I did My flap mod and will be posting pic's after I eat some dinner

Nick
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:34 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S.
Fantastic job Joe, put me down for a set because those things look absolutely bomb proof !
I really like the way that configuration places the open end of the plastic link perpendicular to the vertical G load that would otherwise be trying to pull them off of the ball.

Dean

PayPal sent !
I threw in a little extra because I think your time and effort is worth more.
Not much more, but a little
Thanks man!
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:54 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,036 Posts
Thanks for the extra few bucks guys. Give me a few days to get some more aluminum and I'll get them made up and out to you. Joe
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:01 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,171 Posts
Opus Flap Mod Pic's

here is the way I've done the flaps on my opus.
I can get more than 90 deg downward delection If I wanted ,.and this is way stronger and has a more positive controll than the stock set up,
I turn the servo's around to get them as far forward as possible and in the thickist part of the wing.,,,here are the pic's,,,,,,Nick
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:28 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,036 Posts
What kind of cells are those?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:41 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
What kind of cells are those?
I get them at local hobby stores that do alot of rc car stuff,,they are AA Venom 2400 mah nmhi,,,,my last opus had 3600 nimh A cells,,but batteries are lighter than led so I'm going back to AA pack and putting led in the extra space,,,,Nick
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:38 PM
So-Cal
Joined Apr 2004
539 Posts
I wonder whats more drag?..

Doing it Jantars way, horn on bottom, with a complete servo cover/ pushrod fairing.
Or, going with the top-drive flap set-up and using the stock flap servo covers, the tiny pushrod fairing on top, and a few small strips of tape on either flap to hold them solid until landing??

I'm all for doing it Jantars way...Its a lot more solid, and in case you have'nt tried getting a top driven flap linkage adjusted its a time consuming beeeotch.

However, I have to think the other(stock) way is less drag.

Ryan
d.s.stunner is offline Find More Posts by d.s.stunner
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:50 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,171 Posts
Ryan[/QUOTE]However, I have to think the other(stock) way is less drag.
Yes,my way has more drag but it's how it's done on the world record holding plane,,,,,Nick
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:29 AM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,167 Posts
Loose connection?

Nick?
Your deans plugs need to be taped together....
The friction fit inbetween them will become loose with time and use and could cause problems...flying and or landing with one wing wing have is or can be tricky..
I tried that method a couple of opus's ago...I now use a single locking plug ala Hoopes style molex...lock on Nick....try it you will like it...
Tape, with a bit of goop will hold fwiw just a bit of a hassle to undo and store the wing...

Alan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:41 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,171 Posts
Thanks for the tip,,How do you install the single plug without drilling trough the center hard point of the wing?? I have a symetrical pet peve,,lol Nick
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:41 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
USA, CA, Sausalito
Joined Apr 2006
218 Posts
I have an MC3 and I was wondering - are you guys glassing or gooping the tail on as well as using the supplied bolts, or are you just relying on the bolts? I have just relied on the bolts so far but after seeing Mikes Carbon Blade tail come off at 165 I have started to wonder. He used epoxy and bolts.

I was DSing the MC3 pretty good through a lot of turbulance. I would hate to see it get the same fate at that Carbon Blade. Advice please?

Mark
longdollar is offline Find More Posts by longdollar