HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,663 Posts
Looks good. Is there a money back guarantee if it doesn't go 300mph?

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
the paper could be better

daboz is online now Find More Posts by daboz
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:10 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Looks good. Is there a money back guarantee if it doesn't go 300mph?

ian
Only if I'm flying it,,LOL

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,212 Posts
Ready To Rock

Well Ian's Extropus is Ready to Rock

Here they are,, the only 2 ever made...

Time to take them out and makem go FAST!!

It's allmost Weldon Time

Nick
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:18 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
Well Ive finished building my MCV and the AUW is 2410 grams (85oz). Its pretty light compared to some builds, but I need it to fly in lighter conditions.

Ive got the COG exactly on 2 5/8", but can someone tell me if I should maiden it at this, or take the COG slightly forward for maiden?

Thanks,

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:35 PM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,191 Posts
25/8?

Go for it that indeed is the sweet spot...you could affix a 1/4 ounce lead weight on top of the nose for the first toss for piece of mind...curious did you weigh the plane before you built it? Mine all fun around 95 ounces...curious.

Alan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator
Last edited by Terminator; Feb 18, 2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: lost 100 ounces :)
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:50 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
Alan,

The empty airframe weighed in at 1450 grams (51oz).

I decided not to go with the aluminium tube guides and just used 6mm carbon tubes which lost about 24 grams off the tail. Even with them, it would have only increased the weight to about 2500grams (88 oz).

Waz
Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:27 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator
Go for it that indeed is the sweet spot...you could affix a 1/4 ounce lead weight on top of the nose for the first toss for piece of mind...curious did you weigh the plane before you built it? Mine all fun around 195 ounces...curious.

Alan

195oz's?

Is that a Typo?

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:32 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,212 Posts
Make sure you don't have any more than 1/4" of elevator travel

Nick
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:21 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
Thanks guys.

I think Ill leave the COG where it is and go easy on the elevator until I get used to it.

Just did a range check with the antenna running down along the side of the fuse and my JR SPCM Rx. No probs! 25m (82') with the Tx antenna down without glitches.

Waz
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:02 AM
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Joined Oct 2003
2,191 Posts
Typo?

95 ounces not 195....
too much sinus medication on that day I think...horrid cold...

Alan
Terminator is offline Find More Posts by Terminator
Old Feb 20, 2008, 02:19 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,047 Posts
Flutter Issues

I was noticing Hannes's Diva, especially the spar setup, and thought that it was forward of the usual position, especially near the center of the wing. And it looked like it was in a naturally good position. How would a person decide where the optimal position would be? Usually along the center of gravity, possibly better along the center of lift. Chris posted a thread showing how center of lift when not coincident with c.g. would start an oscillation of twisting motion, along the wing. 60-80gs would produce an awsome amount of reverberating twist. Mass balancing of the wing, may work as well with the wing as has worked with the ailerons and flaps in reducing flutter to 'none". Maybe weaker wings would survive faster speeds if more structure was placed ahead of the typically located spar? If the fuse balanced at the cg point, then the wing would have to as well. Right at the cg. Since most of the wing is behind the cg/spar, most of the time the cg is behind the center of lift. For the wing that is. By the time you balance a full flying stab, the flaps and aelerons, the wing seems to be neglected in this mater. Piling more weight in front of the spar to mass balance the wing may be the most important of all. And maybe all along the lenth of the wing in proportion to its lift and balance. Moving the spar forward may be a good compromise, to reduce the oscillations that may develop if the wing cannot effectively be mass balanced. I have some leading edge repair due a plane and am anxious to try something here. Its not the most effective way to reduce the amt of lead in the nose of a plane but it will help. Any comments or experience here??
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1699729
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Last edited by Indubitably; Feb 20, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:32 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts

C
daboz is online now Find More Posts by daboz
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:44 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,212 Posts
I just want lessons on building a Top class DS ship,,and a top class mold to lay up some real DS ship's,,all I have is Time and a huge passion,

That sure is pure elegance that Diva wing in it's mold,,,a great form of art work..

Molding airplanes is an art work,,Take it from a semi retired artist who is thinking of taking up some new artworks as a retirement gig

Nick
Old Feb 21, 2008, 09:36 AM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,047 Posts
Art work and Flutter

I agree with you Nick about the beauty and all, but Flutter in beauty is like......? What can you say, we must fix it. Thankfully no one is in these planes as flutter takes its toll. For us it is the total appreciation of a beautiful plane that really does it. I know you agree, we have talked out these frrrustrrations too many times.
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably