HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:23 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
I dont know for sure but I'll bet that the MC3 Opus tail is more stout than other versions. Are you testing a MC3 tail?
Heck no ,It's double carbon opus-v Tail ,,the results are cool,,,,,,posting the whole story in about 15 min,...........Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:25 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Ill be waiting.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:14 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,208 Posts
The Test

well here we go,
I made a jig with a digital fishing scale & rubber bands to pull on one of the 2 push rods for the ruddervator.
This test is done with a stock double carbon opus tail and ball links tha come with the plane. The push rod used is of hevy carbon and has 2 blue plastic guides,,,well a pic is worth a 1000 words and I type with 2 fingers.lol

The end result was failure of the ball link slipping off the ball at over 22 lbs of pressure ,,the stock ball and wire going into the ruddervator held fine with no bend or flex. the ball link might slip off with turbulance at lower pressure ,but I think a cupped ball link that is like a trailer hitch might work,,u need ball link plieres to get them on and off ,,,,note the bend in the plastic in the pic of the ball link after it failed,,,,,,,Nick
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:17 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,208 Posts
the scale hit 25# for a second before the failure.,,,this would be a combined pressure of 50# if both tail halfs were used for this test,,,there was no twist in the surface either,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nick
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:21 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
So what does that mean? I would say that that passed the test.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:43 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,208 Posts
I think so too,but I don't like that the ball connector popped off,,the 1 thing that we need to consider is the additional force of 50 G's trying to pop it off too,,I'm going to find some that nedd ball link pliers to get on and off ,,not these that pop of and on easy with little pressure by hand,,,,,Nick
Old Oct 15, 2006, 02:19 AM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
So the ball poped off at 22 pounds. Lets say we are using a nice beefy servo with about 80 oz x inches of torque. If the output shaft on the servo has an arm that is about 1/2 inch long that should be 160 oz or 10 pounds of force. Thats a factor of saftey of 2 if the ball poped at 20 pounds. Thats just ok but not great, I agree, we need tighter balls!! I also agree that the force of 50-70 G's should not be over looked.

Thanks for posting the pictures, I've never liked loose balls anyway!
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:12 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
I slept on it and figure this. Our servos have a certain amount of torque but I'll bet their holding power is several times greater than that. I would bet that when a 2M DS plane is pulling hard turns going 250+ it is equivelant to hanging a 20lb. weight from the elevator. It would take at least that much to make the tail boom flex the way that I have seen them do.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:42 PM
301MPH!
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
655 Posts
I will be using heli ball links. You have to use ball link plyers to get it off. If they are new fingers won`t work! I would like to see a test with them!

Doug
speedster is offline Find More Posts by speedster
Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:08 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster
I will be using heli ball links. You have to use ball link plyers to get it off. If they are new fingers won`t work! I would like to see a test with them!

Doug
Doug, can you post a link showing exactly which ones you reccomend. I would like to see them.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:39 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster

Doug
i'D BE GLAD TO DO THE TEST
Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:43 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,208 Posts
Quote:
I slept on it and figure this. Our servos have a certain amount of torque but I'll bet their holding power is several times greater than that. I would bet that when a 2M DS plane is pulling hard turns going 250+ it is equivelant to hanging a 20lb. weight from the elevator. It would take at least that much to make the tail boom flex the way that I have seen them do.
Just remember that I only tested 1 side ,,,,and you have to double the weight to calculate the whole tail ,,,But I would like to see 50# per side ,I would like to test some more links,,,,got to go to the hobby store
Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:48 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,208 Posts
JOE: what type of flap mod do you do???
Old Oct 15, 2006, 07:08 PM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Doug, can you post a link showing exactly which ones you reccomend. I would like to see them.
I like these from a Raptor helicopter: Thunder Tiger PART#TTRPV0041

They have a lot more holding power than the links that come installed on the Opus. You can easily pop the stock Opus links off with the tip of your finger. Like Doug said above, you need ball link pliers to get these off without damaging them. I tried to use needle nose pliers at first but you end up scratching the balls and scarring up the plastic links because they are hard to separate. If you have seen the way those maniacs fly helicopters these days you will have some idea of the stresses these links have been designed to deal with.

Watch this crazy helicopter vid:

http://www.align.com.tw/bb2/mpeg/TREX600012.wmv

You can buy matching balls for these links that fit over the wire rods most of us use for elevator arms or you can get them with a threaded stud that you can use with the Joe Mannor aluminum arms. Since they put the center of the ball closer to the center line of the arm, there will be less twisting force on the arm than the balls and links Joe used. The size of the threaded stud could be a concern, I don't know how they compare to the ones Joe used.

Thunder Tiger PART#TTRPV0448

Thunder Tiger PART#TTRPV0058
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,208 Posts
Flap Mod?

hey,Joe;what kind of flap mod do ya do?????????????????Nick