SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:29 PM
Wrongway Feldman
Joined Jan 2006
480 Posts
Discussion
Interesting RTF "Air Kite Glider" - who wants to try it first? :)

Not sure what to make of this. IFO-like in construction, LED's preinstalled for night flying. Cheap enough @ $70, I wonder if it's any good.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HX258&cat=GDT
flew2high is offline Find More Posts by flew2high
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:45 PM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,449 Posts
IFO copy
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:07 AM
Wrongway Feldman
Joined Jan 2006
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17
IFO copy
Like Dr. Z says, "Ok, but how's ze quality"? I certainly don't need one, but someone might find it appealing. It's probably 27mhz, and no doubt a little cheesy overall...some would call an Aero Ace cheesy though...
flew2high is offline Find More Posts by flew2high
Old Oct 14, 2006, 02:05 AM
Ramona, California
Joined May 2003
383 Posts
I'll give one a try. I'll pick one up at Geeks tomorrow. You can get a better
look at it here. There's a YouTube link near the bottom of the page. Looks
like it flys well
$38 shipping is just plain wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Style-3-CH-H...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.huaixingtoys.com/english/new.htm
7thSon is offline Find More Posts by 7thSon
Last edited by 7thSon; Oct 14, 2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 02:19 AM
Joined Jun 2006
296 Posts
they copied everything!look at there site:aeroace ,j3 cub,and others
Foamaster :) is offline Find More Posts by Foamaster :)
Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:47 AM
Ramona, California
Joined May 2003
383 Posts
The radio is useless, but the plane is actually nicely built and flys pretty well. The
lights work extremely well and since Curtek closed up before I could make a purchase
it makes this thing well worth the purchase price. I'm going to put a littlescreamer
on it when the brushed motor burns out.
7thSon is offline Find More Posts by 7thSon
Old Oct 18, 2006, 06:22 AM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,658 Posts
7thSon,
How compatible are the electronics with a hobby radio? Are they 27 MHz or otherwise? Also, do you have any pictures of the airplane? I'm looking to buy one to mess around with.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Oct 18, 2006, 06:29 AM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSon
The radio is useless, but the plane is actually nicely built and flys pretty well. The
lights work extremely well and since Curtek closed up before I could make a purchase
it makes this thing well worth the purchase price. I'm going to put a littlescreamer
on it when the brushed motor burns out.
Yep the radio is on 27Mhz and is set up as mode 1 and it can't be changed to mode 2. The rec and ESC are all on one board and the servo's are a five wire set up. I took everything out of it and installed all 72Mhz equipment and yes it does fly real nice after that
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
Old Oct 18, 2006, 04:08 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,658 Posts
Are you sure it can't be changed to mode 2? If so why not?
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:15 AM
Joined May 2006
28 Posts
If you guys see this, you will know you are supporting thieves and pirates...
Shocking truth about this company...
airdancers is offline Find More Posts by airdancers
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:49 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdancers
If you guys see this, you will know you are supporting thieves and pirates...
Shocking truth about this company...
Ya just gotta love it when someone complains about a company that ripped off the IFO get's ripped off.

It's also interesting that the majority of your 26 posts are complaints about this or quasi ads for the company. Are you affiliated with this company?

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:19 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flew2high
Not sure what to make of this. IFO-like in construction, LED's preinstalled for night flying. Cheap enough @ $70, I wonder if it's any good.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HX258&cat=GDT
Thanks for the heads up on this. I actually saw this on eBay with the ludicrous $38 shipping charge and immediately came here hoping someone had posted something about it. So I ordered it from computergeeks and entered "SCOREADEAL" as an online coupon code and saved ten percent. So I got the whole thing for $71 and change, INCLUDING shipping. I think the coupon's good until March of 2007. Based on the comments by radio56 and 7thson, I expect I'll have to do some upgrading but I still feel like I got a great deal. If I haven't posted anything on it by the middle of next week, you can safely assume (without PM'ing me) that my experience was no different than those who have previously posted.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Dec 02, 2006, 01:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
The air kite arrived this evening. So I charged the battery and gave it a shot. It flew so well that I couldn't respond quickly enough. Immediately after launching, it shot up into a tight roll and came right back at me, taking a nice chunk of flesh out of my cheek and another chunk out of my ear. On the next flight, I backed off the elevator so it didn't climb so quickly. But I still couldn't react quickly enough and after a big loop it came crashing to the ground and broke the motor mount (and ripped loose the wires on the LED circuits). Moral of the story: try a LOT less throttle.

So I epoxied the thing back together tonight and will try it again tomorrow. Or should I say, crash it again tomorrow. Great visibility though with the LEDs. If I can learn how to fly this thing, I think it will be a fun night time park flyer.
Last edited by Darth_Elevator; Dec 03, 2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2006, 02:07 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Flew the air kite again this morning and it flew pretty well. Lost my bearings for a moment and didn't realize I was flying inverted, and flew straight into the ground. Busted the epoxied motor mount again. Wondering if anyone else has had problems with a weak motor mount or if my experience is atypical?
Old Dec 05, 2006, 02:25 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
If you just started flying in October, you're taking on quite a challenge with this! If it flies like the Mini IFO it is really for intermediate to advanced flyers. The Mini IFO is great fun, but things happen in a hurry and it's easy to get disoriented with these flat plate designs.

The Mini IFO also had a weak spot in the motor mount. Mine was forever popping off if I bumped into something while flying (there's something about the Mini IFO that makes you want to do silly things like fly inverted while dragging the tail ) Think of it as a safety mechanism though, it's probably keeping something else from breaking and just takes a few minutes to fix. Instead of epoxy, try thick C/A and kicker. It'll get you back in the air quicker.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright