HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2006
117 Posts
Discussion
My 1st R/C Sub conversion (Trumpeter Seawolf), Questions...

Hi all,

I've been reading on this subject with great interest. I've always wanted a sub that looked and behaved like the real thing. Finally....

What revived all this interest was the Wally sub (seawolf), it has served its purpose and now I want something a bit more challenging. So I have decided to take on the trumpeter seawolf as my next project based on the build threads I've been studying around here and the net. I have the model ready for conversion, but I do have a few questions before I start.

1) I have not been able to find a diagram defining all the parts of this sub, so... What is that small protrusion on the bow of the conning tower? Is that a search light? What are all those masts? What do they do? I am sure one of them is a periscope. What are those 3 bulges/humps on the underside of the hull?

2) I have seen footages of this sub model without bow planes....are the real ones retractable?

3) What does a cross section of the stuffing box for the prop drive shaft look like? I may just go ahead and purchase Mike Sub works parts.

4) What are the pros and cons for the RCABS vs. RCABS-R?

5) Which RX would you recommend I use with my Futaba 9CHP? I would like at least 7-8 channels as I would like to add more features to this sub, i.e. Retractable masts, camera switch, lights, etc. (I definitely do not want to buy another TX...)

Thanks in advance.
redbrick is offline Find More Posts by redbrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:18 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
You might have better luck getting answers to these questions at the SubCommittee boards. I'll answer what questions I can.

1. Those masts include an attack scope, search scope, radar anenna, radio mast, and ECM mast.

2. The bow planes are retractable.

3. Shaft stuffing box for the WTC or the tail cone (just before the prop) of the sub? Usually the WTC shaft stuffing box will have some sort of o-ringseal to keep the water out. The sub tail cone stuffing box is just a piece of brass tube, usually with an oil-lite bushing or bearing on each end. The stuffing tubes look like any othermodel ship stuffing tube in cross section.

4. I've never had an RCABS boat, all of mine are "gas" ballast tanks.

5. Try the Sombra Labs Shadow 3 receiver, very small and synthesized.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:19 AM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
double post
Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:59 PM
Joined Mar 2006
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob
You might have better luck getting answers to these questions at the SubCommittee boards. I'll answer what questions I can.

1. Those masts include an attack scope, search scope, radar anenna, radio mast, and ECM mast.

2. The bow planes are retractable.

3. Shaft stuffing box for the WTC or the tail cone (just before the prop) of the sub? Usually the WTC shaft stuffing box will have some sort of o-ringseal to keep the water out. The sub tail cone stuffing box is just a piece of brass tube, usually with an oil-lite bushing or bearing on each end. The stuffing tubes look like any othermodel ship stuffing tube in cross section.

4. I've never had an RCABS boat, all of mine are "gas" ballast tanks.

5. Try the Sombra Labs Shadow 3 receiver, very small and synthesized.
Bob thank you for your response.

Looks like I'm gonna have to come up with something for the bow planes then...hmmmm.

I did wander over to subcommittee...doesn't seem to be a large group...but will monitor it. Thanks.

[Q for all] I was going to purchase the AP-3P01 micro pump from smart products, but they only sell them in quantities of 10's!!! So I found this...

http://www.mpja.com/directview.asp?product=15958+MI

What do you think? Do you think it'll work? The VDC is a bit higher....they seem to sell these in single units. Your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
Ohio, IL
Joined Feb 2006
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbrick
Bob thank you for your response.

I did wander over to subcommittee...doesn't seem to be a large group...but will monitor it. Thanks.
Probably the first place you should have posed the question. True they probably never heard of, and can't tell you how to mod your Wally Sub, but for just about everything else.....

http://www.subcommittee.com/cgi-bin/...602;hl=seawolf

http://www.subcommittee.com/cgi-bin/...929;hl=seawolf

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/englis...=JAEN&wb_dis=2
HelloMoto is offline Find More Posts by HelloMoto
Last edited by HelloMoto; Oct 11, 2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:28 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbrick
The SubCommittee has almost 1000 members around the world; so compared to the AMA, IMPBA, NAMBA, NAVIGA or IPMS, it is a small group. R/C subs are a specialized area of the hobby, just like helicopters. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. DOn't just monitor their website, send in your application. The quarterly SubCommittee Report is filled with lots of good information.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:43 PM
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
Another group is http://www.subpirates.com many of the members there have done the seawolf conversion and BigDave has created a specially made WTC for this boat (http://www.frontiernet.net/~bwelch/seawolf.htm). As for 8-9 functions I think as a first time sub builder you will have trouble fitting it in such a small package, I am not saying it cant be done, just that you may be getting a little ahead of yourself
ShadowPeo is offline Find More Posts by ShadowPeo
Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
Joined Mar 2006
117 Posts
Okay...I'll hang over there then...

Thanks

Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:35 PM
Boat-aholic
Melbourne Australia
Joined Dec 2005
57 Posts
I put a Big Dave WTC with RCABS in my Neil 1/72 Blueback and it works very well. I have an Engle 750 piston tank in my U-47 but I think the RCABS is a better option as it's much cheaper and works more quickly too! The piston tank gives slightly better gradual control I guess at tripple the cost! I'm a member of Sub committee and Subpirates and agree with Shadow that there are plenty of willing helpers on the subject. Steve Neill did a video of his Seawolf with RCABS testing in his pool. It handles very well!
Jason
magpie90 is offline Find More Posts by magpie90
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:25 AM
Joined Jun 2004
11 Posts
RCABS Pumps

Hi,
I'm a subcommittee member and friend of Dr. Art Broder and I am sure he or I will be happy to sell you a single air pump. I would reccommend possibly using the new AP-2P01 pump in this small model. Email me if you wish to get a pump. bdolomou@uoguelph.ca
Troy Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Troy Tempest
Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:21 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
There are a few detailed conversions of this boat in the start here if you are new thread. I recommend starting there.

Adam
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1