SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2002, 11:56 PM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
I caught a pretty cool shot of Brian's Graphite as it flew by Thanks Brian.
ferradas is offline Find More Posts by ferradas
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2002, 04:12 PM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Glad everyone seemed to have a good time. Enjoyed all the pictures.

Of course we were disappointed that the Devil Mountain portions was blown out, but if we were back east we would have been happy just to have one good day, and some people did get to fly. This is probably another advantage of splitting the weekend between two venues, although Saturday was a good day at Pittsburg too.

Our record for Devil Mountain so far is 6 good days to 1 bad day--knock on wood-we have not been rained out yet.

We will be back next year to try again.

Chuck
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
Old Oct 07, 2002, 08:49 PM
Suspended Account
San Francisco CA
Joined Jan 2002
21 Posts
Sheerluck,

Thanks for your kind words about a wind gust being a factor in the crash on final of my BAE 146. The truth is the the loss of the BAE146 was pure pilot error!!! First I did not have a spotter with me; second I did not set a flight timer; and third my ego got in the way as I did not want to overshoot the runway.

The probem started with the fact that at full power the BAE146 pulls over 60 amps! With 20 matched cells, the knee is very sharp when the cells dump. On the last pass I did a climb to show that even late into the flight the BAE 146 could climb. However, at the top of the climb the batteries started to dump. Since I was at midfield I thought that I could go downwind and make a "god-like" approach instead of a forced short-field landing into the rough stuff at the end of the runway.

Instead of a show of skill, I made a smoking hole in the ground in front of everyone. I usually fly hotliners at 60+ amps and with these I can glide halfway to Canada and back when the batteries dump. Not so with the BAE146. The real shame is that the BAE flew like a 2 meter glider, albeit a Gentle Lady. I plainly just lost air speed and snapped it into the ground!.

It is rebuildable but I don't think I'll bother. I think there are some pictures and vidios at this site http//www.pam-rc.org

I'd also like to thank Chuck Hill for organizing Sunday's fly-in. Despite the wind and my poor piloting skills (again!), I had a great time. Two trophies didn't hurt either.

Konrad
Konratz is offline Find More Posts by Konratz
Old Dec 05, 2003, 12:24 AM
StereoAerial Photographer
SF Bay Area
Joined Jan 2003
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wild Moose
two shots from the air...
Roger - I was just poking around in this old post, and it was interesting to see that you were there! I was also, but not associated at that time with ezone. I also flew two sorties there, and got quite a few shots. I did have to leave early, though, because my high school reunion was that evening, about 250 miles southeast of there. Here's the best of the shots I got there, posted below.

John
jlballou is offline Find More Posts by jlballou
Old Dec 05, 2003, 11:47 AM
Los Altos, CA
Joined Sep 2001
607 Posts
Konrad,

I just noticed this thread again, because jlballou posted to it.

I have some excellent video of the last filght of your BAE-146, including the accident. I could turn it into a Windows Movie, or perhaps a Quicktime. Is this something you would be interested in?

Thanks,

- Ted
TedLarson is offline Find More Posts by TedLarson
Old Dec 05, 2003, 05:31 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,586 Posts
John,

Do you have more photo of the field of Peninsula Aeromodelers? I would like to have some for our field development project. We like to see from the air the distance to surrounding structures.

Thanks\

Brian, an EAJ.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Dec 05, 2003, 05:33 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,586 Posts
John,

Do you have more photo of the field of Peninsula Aeromodelers? I would like to have some for our field development project. We like to see from the air the distance to surrounding structures.

Thanks

Brian, an EAJ.
Also the President of PAM(Peninsula Aeromodelers)
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan