SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by questtek, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 12:50 PM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Cool
Underwater ROV Eyeball

The following pics provide an overview of an underwater ROV eyeball that I created. It used two 420 line Sony board cameras facing fwd and aft in two precision glass optical dome ports. Propulsion is by two small waterproof electric motors with magnetic couplings so there are no o-ring seals. The cable to the surface provides the video signal(s) in addition to the RC control signals. While the RC frequencies will not transmit through water at any great distance, you can send them along a single wire for very long underwater distances. It has been a great tool to explore the bottom on the lake that I line on....and maybe to find some of those sunken RC electric boats I lost!
questtek is offline Find More Posts by questtek
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:45 PM
Just a sip
Hudson, OH
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
very cool! keep us posted
jinithith2 is offline Find More Posts by jinithith2
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:38 PM
Joined Oct 2006
1 Posts
Hey, I seen your ROV Eyeball and that is nice work.
I am building a small rov and I will control it with a basic stamp. Most of the ROV has been easy to design and build, but I have run in to a problem with the thruster's. After a lot of research, I see that I will need to use a magnetic coupler to go deep. I see you ROV Eyeball use's magnetic couplers. Could you give me some pic on how you did yours.

I have a sherline cnc mill and lathe to build any parts I my need.
Gregwalker is offline Find More Posts by Gregwalker
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
29 Posts
Which motor thrusters are used in your ROV ? how do you control the depth ?
kostixx007 is offline Find More Posts by kostixx007
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:11 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1 Posts
your thrusters...

Could you tell me more about your thrusters? I am a newbie who wants to build an ROV good to 100 feet.
gregson is offline Find More Posts by gregson
Old May 27, 2007, 03:10 PM
Joined May 2007
1 Posts
Question reg. the dome ports

First of all. That little ROV look very nice. A friend of mine and I are also in the game of building a ROV, but in the use of wreck-hunting. Visiual insprction of echos on the echo sounder in the boat. That means we don't have to dive to identify. Thats handy when the wrecks is located deeper then 50 meters

Well we are at the moment building a Canon Camcorder into a housing, that we be able to use on the ROV, but also use as a normal under water video setup. Until now we have been playing with a flat port, but we need to move over to a dome port and a wide angle lens on the camera. When I searched the net for dome ports I came over you port regarding your ROV Eyeball. I looks very nice a perhaps the domes you have used are just what I'm looking for.

Can you provide any information on the domes? Manufacture, Price, Where did you buy them etc.

I hope you can help. Thanks a lot.

BR.

Rene
rblaursen is offline Find More Posts by rblaursen
Old Aug 08, 2007, 10:39 AM
Alien H4-680 Quadcopter Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1 Posts
Well, I'm also building a micro rov. Using a color LCD screen equipted camera good to about 60' I planned on bolting on some thrusters and figuring out how to steer it. The thruster suppliers are what I'm after. I look forward to your source info.
thanks
penztoy is offline Find More Posts by penztoy
Old Mar 28, 2008, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1 Posts
Eyeball Material Plans etc.

I was wanting to know if you would share your material used and plans for building your eyeball ROV. I am a Marine Deputy and we need a device simular to what you have there for body recovery, evidence searches, vehicle found underwater and so on. Let me know if you can help.

Thanks

Bruce
992vtwin is offline Find More Posts by 992vtwin
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:30 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1 Posts
Underwater electric motors

Professor Joe- Where can I get, or how do I build are the underwater electric motors you are using on your "eyeball?" I would like to adapt them as recovery pods on a freesailer boat.
Thanks for your fascinating posts.
midmoc is offline Find More Posts by midmoc
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
Rov

Where did you get the motors for the eyeball? I am starting out to make a rov to check out things under water. How did the 420 take images under the water? How did you record or view the images. I see that you used a 680 Sony on you upgrade, have you used it at night. Does it have ledís for inferred viewing at night?

Dome port, I see them on the internet for camera housings but they cost a lot of $ís. Where did you get yours?

Neal
deltavch is offline Find More Posts by deltavch
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:38 AM
Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
49 Posts
Hi Professor Joe,

Not sure whether you posted replies to above questions. I'm also interested in sourcing some of parts for underwater "eyeball".

Can you reply or PM with any information?

Thanks.
Blue Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Blue Falcon