HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,785 Posts
Looks like an interesting plane, Dave. I may have to give it a go!
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
Dave, what's the procedure for scaling it? I could do the drafting math, I suppose, but if there's an easier way...

I built one of these long ago based on Stringfly's tracings scaled to 24" span and it's always been one of my favorite toss-around-the-pasture models. I modified it to a simple hex-shaped box fuselate for the center section.

Now I want to try a 32" version so the prop slot goes up to 8". I've got some cheap-o retracts that would make a slightly larger and more powerful one both pasture-toss and runway-operation compatible. (Greasing the landings on a strip with this thing is sooooo easy and makes you look like a *much* better pilot than you are! (-: )

The new one needs lights, too.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Last edited by rdeis; Jan 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: subscribing
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
65 Posts
Tiled PDF Plans?

Hi, are there tiled PDF plans avail for the SU 24"?
914pete is offline Find More Posts by 914pete
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
I found a PDF set a couple of weeks ago in the Su-27 shockflyer thread someplace. Posted by Stringfly, I think.

*edit* found it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=15

I just finished rebulding the nose on my full-fuse adaptation of Stringfly's work. One of my favorite goof-around models!
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Last edited by rdeis; Jan 16, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:52 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,022 Posts
Making tiled pdfs , scaling and printing , is covered on this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1560478&page=3
it covers a number of methods..

you should also look at dekans F22 thread.. a simple build much the same..
What airplane version ,prop in slot you make, doesn't matter, as long as its one of the twin tail jets it can be adapted to a model form..
Just take the top and side views for the profile shape, and do a bit of cheating for the various control surfaces..

From the available sketchup file using cute pdf you can produce a tiled or untiled PDF for later use...
However from sketchup itself you can just as easy print it out directly in tiled form.
Important in sketchup ...use ..top view..have the camera set to parallel..Box the window tight to the plan.. what you see is what you print
In the print out box select cute pdf as the printer..uncheck fit to page... set scale at 1:1.. use draft print...do a print check with preview then print.. cute pdf will do its stuff and then ask where you want it saved..
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Apr 02, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:13 PM
Woody
Darien,CT
Joined Nov 2006
102 Posts
Just maidened my 27" F-15 Blue foam Jet. What a great flyer ! It tracked like it was on rails, rolled straight and true, and turned on a dime. Slowed right down for landing. I kind of designed it as a composite as I could not down load any full size plans. I also added a landing gear as I was afraid of tossing it with that prop so close. I used a Blue wonder motor , a cut down 9x6 prop and got 10 amps and 100 watts. At 9oz , this plane goes straight up. What a great plane.
Spurwood is offline Find More Posts by Spurwood
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Oct 2011
65 Posts
Su27

Hi, here is a pic of my SU27. Great plans. I'm very new to RC flying and I have to say, this plane flies great (on a calm day). I used 6mm depron and bamboo skewers for wing support. The motor is a GraysonHobby MicroJet V3 and HS55 servos. I'm currently using a 800Mah battery but only get 3-4 minutes of flight time at half throttle. Not sure if the battery was bad to begin with. I've requested a return to GraysonHobby but have not heard back from them. Poor customer service.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:14 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,022 Posts
Any of the twin tail jets can easily be adapted as a prop in slot and they will fly great...
For launching try holding the wing tip and swinging it round and up at 45 degrees, then let go.. This keeps your fingers well away from the prop...

Also worth doing is a conversion to a KFm4 wing... just adding top and bottom layers to the wing, it does away with any CF spars and makes the whole a lot tougher and more easy to handle by the wing tips where there is 3 layers... sand and shape the leading edge to a nice profile when you do this..
KF ing can also improve some of the flight characteristics.. and it never does any harm..

For windy sites go up a size...and kfm4 it ....something 12-16oz is better in the wind
Last edited by davereap; Feb 19, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914pete View Post
Hi, here is a pic of my SU27. Great plans. I'm very new to RC flying and I have to say, this plane flies great (on a calm day). I used 6mm depron and bamboo skewers for wing support. The motor is a GraysonHobby MicroJet V3 and HS55 servos. I'm currently using a 800Mah battery but only get 3-4 minutes of flight time at half throttle. Not sure if the battery was bad to begin with. I've requested a return to GraysonHobby but have not heard back from them. Poor customer service.
Welp, against my better judgement, I flew it in some pretty stiff wind yesterday evening and it's gone. I tossed it into the wind, it climbed to a out of sight altitude in a matter of seconds, turned down wind and when I tried to turn it back up wind the wind literally blew the plane out of view. Spent an hour and a half looking for it. It could be in another state for all I know. LOL...Live and learn.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,785 Posts
I HATE when that happens! Lost one myself when it flew over the trees and out of the park. Never seen again. Hope SOMEBODY had fun with it when they found it...
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:31 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,022 Posts
Always put your name and phone number on it... then you might then get lucky if the right person finds it..
Other than that, keep it closer..
Its a pain when one goes awol.. and if its lost in stable flight it can go for miles..Ive been there as well..
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Always put your name and phone number on it... then you might then get lucky if the right person finds it..
Its a pain when one goes awol.. and if its lost in stable flight it can go for miles..Ive been there as well..
I will from now on. This field I fly in is huge. Never thought in a million years I could lose a plane outside of it.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:44 AM
Don't Call Me Shirley
United States, VA, Bassett
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
That's good advice. I lost one during a breezy night flight. I assumed it was nearby. Spent nearly two weeks looking for it. As a last resort, I called my neighbors asking if they'd seen it. Luckily, a guy that lived nearly a mile away had it. Couldn't believe it flew that far.
But a simple label with my phone # would have saved me a lot of grief.
Tucknut is offline Find More Posts by Tucknut
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:52 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,022 Posts
With all these "park fliers" I cant see any point in flying too high or far away, they are slow enough to keep close, and being an old "F" I can see it better when its nearby..
Only with my faster and heavier models do I keep some extra height and thats more for the safety of others who wander across my field..
Oh...and my gliders are always way up floating about..

Simply print out some small sticky address labels, and have one on every model regardless of how high you fly it
Old May 11, 2012, 02:33 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,022 Posts
Have you all seen these

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1500375 ......F15
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504288 .....YF22
They are a bit off on scale shape, but most wouldnt realise it

they have some advantages.. take off from grass... and even more presence being so big..a ducted rudder for better control..

I am drawing up a KFm4 depron version in sketchup so I can make one to any size