HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2006, 02:13 AM
BUILDnFLY
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Discussion
Energizer lawn and garden battery

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you know the capacity of the Engergizer lawn and garden battery (got it from Wal-mart on sale) It says it has 200 cold cranking amps but nothing about the capacity. What is the average of these things and is this a better alternative than the smaller 7.5Ah gel cels available? Should I just shell out and get the larger marine type batteries that have a capacity of 80-90Ah? Thanks!
jphong is offline Find More Posts by jphong
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2006, 02:15 AM
BUILDnFLY
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
Oh and I am also charging it with an old 12v 5amp charger that my friend had laying around...it has overcharge protection and I've measured a current draw of 2.5-2.6 amps when hooked up with the battery. Will this overcharge protection be useful for this type of battery? And also is the 5amp current supply just right or not? Thanks again!
jphong is offline Find More Posts by jphong
Old Oct 09, 2006, 04:04 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
I did a quick Google and came up with 24 AHr
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Oct 09, 2006, 04:16 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphong
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you know the capacity of the Engergizer lawn and garden battery (got it from Wal-mart on sale) It says it has 200 cold cranking amps but nothing about the capacity. What is the average of these things and is this a better alternative than the smaller 7.5Ah gel cels available? Should I just shell out and get the larger marine type batteries that have a capacity of 80-90Ah? Thanks!
they are starter batteries - you cycle them once and they are damaged. They are not designed to be discharged - just spin the stater for 15 seconds. Marine batteries are hybreds, with thicker plates but are still not designed to be discharger <11.2V. You need a true deep cycle battery - designed to discharge to nil capacity and the charged back up to full.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Oct 09, 2006, 05:54 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Best would be Optima Yellow top. Sealed, deep cycle. Auto Zone or Pep Boys or similar
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:30 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,062 Posts
I use the lawn and garden batteries almost exclusively for my field use. They will give excellent service and life if properly maintained. By that I mean, never NEVER never discharge below 11.7 volts under load. Recharge with the proper equipment (constant voltage, limited current charger) and do not leave it stored in a discharged state. Check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some good advice on the care of your batteries, all types.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
Lawn mower batts. work fine. No different than your car batt. just lower capacity. Been using a jumpstarter for the last couple of yrs. which is close to a mower batt.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:00 AM
MaxiR SE~E620SE
Campbell Hall, NY
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Best would be Optima Yellow top. Sealed, deep cycle. Auto Zone or Pep Boys or similar
Actually, the yellow top D34 and blue top D34M seem to be the same at 55Ah. The blue top D31M would be the best at 75Ah. They are all expensive though
truthunter is offline Find More Posts by truthunter
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:22 AM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
get a FLOAT CHARGER for it from Harbor Freight tools to slow charge it and prevent it from SULPHATING maintaining the voltage at ~ 13.5V and then it will last longer than U think it can
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:32 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Actually best thing is to get a Battery Tender or Battery Minder. These are microprocessor controlled to not harm the battery. Battery Minder even has a mode to try to bring a sulphated battery back. I would not trust a Harbor Frieght float charger on a good battery.

I use Battery Minders on competition cars that sit for long periods of time.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone