HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2006, 07:35 PM
Bob
Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2005
252 Posts
Question
How thin Goop for covering EPP wing?

I read once that one way to reinforce an EPP plane is by spreading Goop over the surface. I think it was thinned with alcohol and spread on with a credit card. Is alcohol the best thinner? Is this an effective technique?
Bob
4444 is offline Find More Posts by 4444
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2006, 08:15 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
alcohol will not work...

you need Xylene or Toulene to thin the goop...

as for it being a way to completley cover the surface.... i would say no... it gets HEAVY to get an even descent coat... i would still use covering.. but use thin goop around the impact zone's and wingtips..

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Oct 08, 2006, 08:54 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Kind of depends what you are building and what you intend to use the goop for. Many of our our landing zones are arguably rougher here in Colorado than they are in Cali, so we tend to be fans of anything that will keep covering fresher longer.

For a hotwire cut EPP plane, you can use goop on the outside of the covering (Ultracote, Solartex, etc) to make it more tear resistant. Most of us here in the Denver Area that regularly fly combat on Zion tend to put 1 or two coats of thin goop on the bottom and the leading edge a few inches back on top.

Also, for the molded EPP, ala Windrider and Predator...you can use a coat of thinned goop on the foam(after the tape is applied) to increase adhesion of the covering.

But in neither case, do we use Goop alone without covering.

You can really thin it down and a single coat doesn't add much weight. It can be overdone and will hurt your recovery and light lift performance. You'll want to avoid going real heavy on the goop behind your CG.

It has to be reapplied from time to time, as the goop tends to get kinda furry and lose it's effectiveness as well as increasing drag.

Graham
NewbieX is online now Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Oct 08, 2006, 10:31 PM
Bob
Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2005
252 Posts
Thanks Joe and Graham,
I'm using an EPP plane as a beginner sloper. Figure I'll crash into the rocks as I learn. So I'll stick to Ultracote or Monocote. It's easy enough to patch up. Hope to move on to covered foam after a while.
Bob
4444 is offline Find More Posts by 4444
Old Oct 08, 2006, 10:32 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
you can still do the thinned goop like i said on the impact/landing/skid area's..

really helps keep the covering and tape from fraying and getting ugly..

what plane are you working on?

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill