SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2002, 03:30 PM
England
Joined Aug 2002
37 Posts
Can you help out a clueless R/C'r?

Hi, I'm after a receiver but I don't know what I need.

question 1. I have a 2 channel transmitter, the xstal frequency is 27.905mh/z
someone told me that is channel 2/3.

could I buy any receiver and just put in that crystal and it'd work?

and which channel/s is/are that/those frequencies

question 2. how do you install an esc? does it need a servo? or does it just work straight off of the receiver?

question 3. warning, this is realy dumb How do you fix on the prop to a motor?

thanks, I'm gratefull for any answers

Gaz
Gazdaman is offline Find More Posts by Gazdaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2002, 03:42 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Hi Gaz-

==question 1. I have a 2 channel transmitter, the xstal frequency is 27.905mh/z someone told me that is channel 2/3. ==

Is this off of a Firebird or similar plane? If so, don't waste your time trying to reuse the transmitter with other gear.

==could I buy any receiver and just put in that crystal and it'd work? ==

No. There are positive shift and negative shift receivers. If you've got one of the Firebird type transmitters, I don't think there is a non-Firebird receiver that will work with it anyway.

==and which channel/s is/are that/those frequencies ==

It should tell you the channel on the plug-in crystal on the transmitter. Unless it's a really cheap transmitter, in that case it may have a built-in crystal. The only way of knowing the channel then would be to check the plane the transmitter came with.

==how do you install an esc? does it need a servo? or does it just work straight off of the receiver? ==

It plugs into channel 3 of the receiver. No servo required. One lead goes to the battery, another to the motor, a 3rd to the receiver.

==How do you fix on the prop to a motor? ==

Some motors you just press the prop on. Others have a small adaptor that bolts the prop in place. Still others (GWS) have a threaded shaft and you screw the prop on, then use a nut to lock it.

Hope that helps!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Aug 23, 2002, 03:48 PM
Moderated. Severely.
Sonoma County, California
Joined Apr 2002
450 Posts
Well....

I think you may have some 'older' equipment? If so, you would probably need a new system. For +/- $100 you can get a Hitech3 system with transmitter, reciever, 2 servos, and charger. Not to bad for a new system. If there is a hobby shop near you you might want to ask them. What brand/model is your controller?

An ESC, electric speed control, does not need a servo. It plugs straight into the reciever and controls throttle by itself.

Props go on motors in different ways. Some are just push on. (with maybe a drop of CA glue) Some are bolt on.

Do you have a plane in mind?

Darren
TheAddler is offline Find More Posts by TheAddler
Old Aug 23, 2002, 03:58 PM
England
Joined Aug 2002
37 Posts
the transmitter is from an r/c car, it has a yellow '3' on the crystal front.

it also has switches on the bottom to put each channel in reverse or not.

is this worth using? and which receiver will I need?

Gaz
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:01 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==the transmitter is from an r/c car, it has a yellow '3' on the crystal front. ==

Ah, you definitely don't want to use that. Aircraft frequencies are different than ground frequencies. Ground is in the 27 MHz band, aircraft in the 72 MHz. sorry, I missed that you mentioned 27 in your 1st post.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:02 PM
Moderated. Severely.
Joined Apr 2002
450 Posts
It is not worth useing! (And, not that it might be a problem for you where ever you are, I don't *believe* its legal to use?) Anyway, there are differences in car to plane r/c equipment. And my guess is, you would not be able to find what you need to make it work. I think you'd be much better off getting a lower end system to start.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:04 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
This is a great radio to start out with. 3 channel, comes with feather receiver, 2 lightweight HS-55 servos and charger for the radio at 85 bucks.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/r752038.asp
England
Joined Aug 2002
37 Posts
so I can't just slot in a new crystal?

Gaz
Moderated. Severely.
Joined Apr 2002
450 Posts
Is there an echo in here? I swear when I start to write... there are no responses yet. Tres, you must have an even better job then me!!
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:05 PM
Moderated. Severely.
Joined Apr 2002
450 Posts
No, they are just different things. Sorry.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:07 PM
England
Joined Aug 2002
37 Posts
right ok, so I'm in the market for a new radio, and a compatible receiver, no servos, got some of those coming already.

and I need some very cheap, because I have incredibly little money.

I'm in the whole PS2 modchipping scene, so all my money tends to go on that.

Gaz
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:14 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==Is there an echo in here?==

LOL! At least we agree on everything!!

==right ok, so I'm in the market for a new radio, and a compatible receiver, no servos, got some of those coming already. ==

If 85 bucks is out of your range, your next bet is to post on the "For Sale/Wanted" forum to see if someone has a used one for you.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:15 PM
Moderated. Severely.
Joined Apr 2002
450 Posts
LOL,
If you are using the ModChip you should be saving money! You don't have to buy all expensive games! Anyway, The local hobby shops here let people buy a system, and then buy back the servos. You might want to try that. But I would suggest you bring your servos in and see what they are compatible with.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:18 PM
England
Joined Aug 2002
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheAddler
LOL,
If you are using the ModChip you should be saving money! You don't have to buy all expensive games! Anyway, The local hobby shops here let people buy a system, and then buy back the servos. You might want to try that. But I would suggest you bring your servos in and see what they are compatible with.
lol, all my money goes on blank cds and blank chips ( I program my own )

hmm, I guess I will make a post. This is an expensive hobby to get into.

but I've got my hands on some micro servos and a motor. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a transmitter

Gaz
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:33 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,563 Posts
Do you have a plane in mind yet? The type of plane may dictate some of the choices in radio and propulsion equipment.

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck