Maybe the Twirl flyers would be interested to see your movie too

Al
alfoot is offline Find More Posts by alfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:16 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,285 Posts
alfoot, I really like flying my Twirl a lot, so I'm looking at building your Mono-Twirl.
After watching your second video, I would like to ask you some question about your Mono-Twirl?
In your video, it looked like you had to fly the MT with more power or faster?
How does the MT fly compared to the Twirl?
Will it fly as slow?, does it take more power to fly it?(bigger motor?)
Can it take off from a cement landing strip ?
Is it about the same weight as the Twirl?
Do you think it would fly slower with more main blades? If so, have you ever tryied more then 4 main blades?
Thanks again .
DanT
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
Old Oct 04, 2008, 03:33 PM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
977 Posts
Hi Dan,

My Monotwirl used the same motor as the Twirl. The Monotwirl needs a bit more power to fly than the Twirl at the same flight conditions, but there was an adequate reserve.

My Monotwirl came out slightly lighter than the Twirl - just over 6 ounces - the additional servo for the lateral rotor tilt was offset by not having the stub wing.

Flying-wise the Monotwirl is a bit more difficult to fly than the Twirl, and whereas the Twirl is very forgiving if you get the rotors slow, it is absolutely essential to keep the rotor of the Monotwirl loaded and turning otherwise it will fall out of the sky. Also, the rotor tilt and rudder need to be coordinated to achieve good turns. It will fly slower if you have enough power and elevator control.

Take-offs are possible but again it is critical to achieve adequate rotor speed otherwise, like most other autogyros, it will roll into the ground. Hand launching will allow you to feel the rotor generating the lift, and I would recommend this first before trying a take-off. The movies show the technique, tilting the autogyro quite far back to get the roror spinning, and launching slightly nose high with power on.

I haven't tried more than 4 blades simply because it is so simple to make these, and I like to keep things simple

I hope this helps, I look forward to seeing your Monotwirl on here soon

Al
Old Oct 06, 2008, 03:07 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,285 Posts
alfoot,, thank you for the information.
DanT
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:58 AM
Joined Apr 2009
1 Posts
Hello everybody,

this is my debut in this forum and once again i have to admin that i am too late. About two years this time

i have successfully build and flown twin rotor autogyros and want to move on to the single rotor ones. so the monotwirl seems to be a very interesting model to me.

i have searched the internet for some hours but was not able to find any information where to obtain the plans for this. is there any slight chance that there is someone still following this thread and willing to provide me the plans?

regards, moogra
moogra is offline Find More Posts by moogra
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:03 AM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
Looking for plans if anyone would like to share.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:41 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashley View Post
Looking for plans if anyone would like to share.
Me too please!

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:55 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Plans are available here;
https://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=2784

Ken

Edit: Just got off the phone as I kept getting errors on the website. The plan is around $10 with another $10 for shipping. You can purchase a back issue of the magazine for $8.99 + $4 shipping. Thats a tad pricey for one plan.

I think I will import a side view into sketchup where I have already copied the plans and get the rotor mast details into it from there.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jan 19, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:07 PM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
977 Posts
Hi all,

I have the plan in dxf format, but I have ( I think) converted it to a series of pdf files.

Make sure that you print them without any scaling, and you should be able to get the plan. I've also included one file of the whole plan, along with building/flying instructions.

Al
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:08 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
God bless you Al!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:44 PM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
What Ken said! This can truly be a wonderful hobby, I guess that's why I keep on doing it after fifty five some odd years of making balsa, and now foam, dust. Now y'all excuse me as I'm late to the printers.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:29 AM
jclassic1
New Houghton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined May 2006
1,384 Posts
Hi Al,I have never flown a autogyro type of plane befor so should I go for the Twirl or the Monotwirl as my first one.

John
jclassic1 is offline Find More Posts by jclassic1
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:29 PM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
977 Posts
John,

The Twirl is definitely easier to fly, relaxing even. The Monotwirl is less forgiving, and flies like a "proper" autogyro in that it has all of the characteristics of a single rotor machine.

As they are so quick to build, and most of the equipment is common to both, I'd suggest trying the Twirl first, and then move on to the Monotwirl or another single rotor autogyro.

BTW, this is another thread that has not been to the top in a while, and so the Putfile movie link of the Monotwirl in flight is defunct.

Here's a Youtube version of the movie:-

Monotwirl Autogyro - Prototype (3 min 32 sec)

Al
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:11 PM
jclassic1
New Houghton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined May 2006
1,384 Posts
Thanks Al for your advice and also the video of the monotwirl.I did build the twirl a couple of years ago but for some reason never got around to flying it.It unfortunatly got damaged and eventually scrapped for the bits needed for other foamies.
Got both plans printed and plan to start with the twirl as you recommend.

Thanks Al.

John
jclassic1 is offline Find More Posts by jclassic1
Old Feb 08, 2010, 11:19 PM
Monash, S.Aust.
Joined Apr 2004
204 Posts
Hi Al, is there any chance of updating the earlier links to movie clips as they seem to defunct too?
Cheers,
Adrian.
mustangsforme is offline Find More Posts by mustangsforme