SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2006, 12:49 PM
Joined Oct 2005
26 Posts
Discussion
is magnum xl 15 a good engine?

hi everyone, i saw on ebay a magnum xl 15 for sale. brand new in the box for 40.00$ us. i'm kinda new with this, so is it a good engine for it's size?

thank you
novielo is offline Find More Posts by novielo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2006, 09:43 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
Here's a link to the questions i had on my .15XL, it had it's maiden flight today and i'm happy so far with this motor, it starts well and has pretty good power. I would suggest putting the pcs. of fuel tubing over the needles as one of the posts in my link suggests, other than that i will tell you the manual said 2 turns out on the high speed needle but mine will only run at 5/8 of a turn out.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4519122/tm.htm
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V
Old Oct 09, 2006, 09:10 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne V
Here's a link to the questions i had on my .15XL, it had it's maiden flight today and i'm happy so far with this motor, it starts well and has pretty good power. I would suggest putting the pcs. of fuel tubing over the needles as one of the posts in my link suggests, other than that i will tell you the manual said 2 turns out on the high speed needle but mine will only run at 5/8 of a turn out.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4519122/tm.htm

-------------

And your last sentence describes perfectly why I tell newbies to ignore the "factory settings". Because there aren't any and half the time the factory doesn't know them anyway. Don't be afraid to twist those needles. Just write down the previous setting so that you can return to it at will.
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Oct 09, 2006, 11:33 AM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
Mine has been going strong for 2 years!
Sonsight is offline Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old Oct 09, 2006, 03:49 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
Artisan, i agree the magnum was way off the manual but my .40LA was right on at 1-1/2 turns out. Had the magnum up 3 times today on a 30" SPAD flying wing, man it's crazy, that thing will roll so fast i'm having a hard keeping track of which side is up. I broke my 7x6 yesterday so i'm now running a 8x4, better thrust and more than enough speed for that little wing. Once i wreck that plane it's going on the back of my stryker.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 07:07 PM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Artisan, i agree the magnum was way off the manual but my .40LA was right on at 1-1/2 turns out. Had the magnum up 3 times today on a 30" SPAD flying wing, man it's crazy, that thing will roll so fast i'm having a hard keeping track of which side is up. I broke my 7x6 yesterday so i'm now running a 8x4, better thrust and more than enough speed for that little wing. Once i wreck that plane it's going on the back of my stryker.

-----------

While I fly some giant scale and some 1.20 to 1.80 larger glow models these days, there will always be a place in my heart for .15 powered models. I love them, always have and always will.

I had a couple of Magnum .15 engines, but never got around to running them.

I now have six or seven .15 engines. Two Thunder Tiger .15s, two Enya plain bearing .15s that I bought from Sheldon's Hobbies a short while ago and two Super Tiger G15 engines from the Seventies. There are several Fox .15s, but they don't have carbs, being control line engines.

My favorite .15 was made by HB. It was weird. It had one ball bearing and screamed its brains out.

Electric stuff is replacing lots of small engines today, but the good thing is that some of the electric aircraft (ARFs) being sold today make excellent platforms for running a .15 glow or Diesel.

I'm glad you are enjoying yours.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 07:30 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
Being a beginner a year and a half ago the electric thing suited me just fine, but after going glow i don't think i'll be back to electric land ( except my ehawk1400 ), i'm not too sure they make a folding prop for glow. I don't know if it's possible for $59.99 to make as much power at this, and i don't have to wait an hour to have more fun.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:35 PM
WMB
Montana
Joined Sep 2002
125 Posts
I've got about 85 flights on mine now. Starts with one backflip of the spinner, idles good and good transition. Spins an APC 8x4 ~ 14,800 0n 30% heli fuel.
Talk about tight when new, I used a heat gun to get it loose before hitting it with the starter and then let it scream. I'm happy with mine.
MikeB
WMB is offline Find More Posts by WMB
Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:27 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:

-------------

A stopped clock is right twice a day - is my answer to your LA having the right needle setting.

I have seen people write and say that their engines did not run correctly at the factory settings, so they replaced the engine with another new one. This is why I keep stressing the fact that you cannot depend upon the settings to be right.

Even if the settings were set absolutely perfectly at the factory, what if someone else owned your engine before you did and changed the settings before returning the engine?

The fact that these controls are variable intentionally should tell a person that there is a need to adjust these settings on a regular basis. Folks have burned up perfectly good engines because they believed in this factory setting myth. It is my intent to get folks twisting their needles for the best setting.

Anyone that fusses that you are a needle twister for trying to make your engine run the best that it can, flat does not know anything about running glow engines. There is no room for debate on this topic.

One day, our engines might come with a small computer that adjusts the engine perfectly every time. Until that day comes (probably never), you will have to do it yourself.

I'm speaking to everyone reading this group of postings. Not just to you.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:43 AM
Joined Oct 2005
26 Posts
i ordered magnum xl 15a after the good comments i got from here.

while i was reading the booklet i saw, in the break in procedure, that it is mentioned that the adjustment of 2 turns is made withut the exaust tube connected to the fuel tank.

it isn't written anywhere what are the settings when it is plug... maybe the answere to our questions.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:47 AM
Joined Oct 2005
26 Posts
i had a big surprise tough when i opened the package... the engine is equiped with a pull start!!!

i new to the hobby, end my only experience is on cox 049. is it a regular configuration to have this? i removed the pull start assy and discover that the crank shaft is about 5/8" longer then the crank case. here's some pictures of it.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:32 AM
Joined Oct 2005
26 Posts
the weight of the enigine with everything, muffler, carb, is 8.5 oz. the pull start assy weight 1.5 oz.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:33 AM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
I think you ordered the car/truck version, there's no way that's an airplane configured engine. Where did you but it from?

p.s here's what you should have http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAN90&P=7
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:17 PM
Joined Oct 2005
26 Posts
this where i got it from:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

seems it was mispackaged because even the paper in the box talk of an aircraft engine...

does anybody else had this prob^
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:32 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
While it does look like the magnum airplane engine in every way i would say it has been modified for pull starting cause i can't find anything on the net that shows a magnum setup like that, and even the picture in the e-bay ad does not reflect what you were sent, i would contact the vendor that sold you the engine.

i will also say the ad is misleading, if it's a magnum airplane engine and is new in box, there's no way this could be true because if you go to magnum's website you will see they don't have a product that looks like the motor you got. I guess that's why i always buy from a hobby shop not e-bay
Last edited by Wayne V; Oct 18, 2006 at 01:37 PM.