SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:36 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Bob,
Agreed, that's what I was trying to tell BurgerMike, don't trust the plans. The parts will fit each other. The words didn't relay the message. I am used to having scaled plans. I was a little surprised that I couldn't pin the parts to the plans and expect the pieces to fit. I think other builders also expect that and they can be politely warned that pinning the parts to the plans may result in confusion.

The airplane is great though, and building it is easy, once the builder realizes the slightly stretched/scale plans. By no means do I mean to discount the airplane though. I'm having a wonderful time with my OLY.

I'm looking forward to hearing more news about the OLY3 too, as I'm in the mood to build a 3 meter. That sounds like a fun airplane. D-sheeted, S3014 airfoil, and more goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby legue
Dave,
When building your Oly ll the simple solution is , as with most kits is to trust the parts not the plans. Plans have a way of not being duplicated exactly or some have incorrect sizes due to moisture content. I use the shearwebs as a spacer for the ribs. My tail sections came out correct, I wonder if the joiner was short.
Hope this helps,
Bob
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:56 AM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Yeah! And too see it come togather so quickly and fly so well is magic. I got another one ordered already.
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:28 AM
Lindale TX
Joined May 2006
64 Posts
The elevators being short had nothing to do with plan misprints or shrinkage or whatever. They were not cut properly! they didn't even match each other, one was shorter than the other.
burgermike is offline Find More Posts by burgermike
Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:35 PM
Lindale TX
Joined May 2006
64 Posts
Started the wings today. Everything is going as planned. Glot a little confused between the plans and the instructions, but a glance at another build thread by erich under the Thermal section cleared it up. Got my son a Great Planes Spirit RTF this weekend for his birthday, I may keep it until I finish my OLY II and give him a bag of marbles instead!
burgermike is offline Find More Posts by burgermike