HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:51 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,541 Posts
You are correct on #4 John!

The only thing wrong with the Org. Oly II wingtips was some guys were too lazy to carve them. Covering them was the hard part, but still doable.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2006, 06:51 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby legue
Burger Mike,
You dont understand. I have the Oly lll. Finished building it Friday night. Got a couple of hand tosses in last nite. Im attempting to write the build instructions for the kit for Ray. Thats not as easy as it sounds, but I love a challenge! I will post a picture when I get an OK from Ray. As a side note, I would definitally get in line for a kit, one word........AWSOME!
Bob

Congratulations to Bob Legue on being the first of the four volunteers that took on the task of building and writng the instructions to complete my new OLY lll kit.

Bob did a great job and I hope his construction photos and instructions will help others assemble the kit. Thanks again Bob

The instructions will be placed on my web site in approx 2 weeks. The OLY lll kit will be available within in 2 to 3 weeks. check my web site for updated info.

Ray
skybench.com
Home of Wood Crafters 07
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:44 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,059 Posts
Tim, yer right...while carving the tips was kinda fun, covering them was quite a chore. I really don't know how much they contributed to performance, but looked cool. I'd do it again, but might use low-heat film instead, or perhaps glass. Fun ship.

JC
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:48 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,059 Posts
Nice looking ship, Bob!

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:17 PM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Thank you John.
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:19 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
Tim, yer right...while carving the tips was kinda fun, covering them was quite a chore. ... or perhaps glass.
This is what I did. Used EZ-Lam as the Epoxy, with 3/4 oz glass on the inside and 1.4 oz glass on the bottom/outside. Added a couple extra coats of EZ-Lam a few days later, sanding smooth in-between. It worked out very nicely, was then painted using white epoxy paint out of a Krylon rattle can. Came out strong, light and baby-bottom smooth.

Carving was simple using a Dremel.

Regards.
Mike K.
Mike K is offline Find More Posts by Mike K
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:09 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,358 Posts
What are the specs on the Oly III? I saw it has a span of 132". What airfoil is used? What will the kit be sold for? Great job!!!

Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes
Congratulations to Bob Legue on being the first of the four volunteers that took on the task of building and writng the instructions to complete my new OLY lll kit.

Bob did a great job and I hope his construction photos and instructions will help others assemble the kit. Thanks again Bob

The instructions will be placed on my web site in approx 2 weeks. The OLY lll kit will be available within in 2 to 3 weeks. check my web site for updated info.

Ray
skybench.com
Home of Wood Crafters 07
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Oct 25, 2006, 06:16 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,588 Posts
Kurt,

caught you red handed not watching my Sky Bench web site.

check out this page, scroll down to the new OLY kits coming section.

http://www.skybench.com/slnost.html

Ray
Skybench.com
Home of Wood Crafters
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Oct 25, 2006, 07:46 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,358 Posts
Good day Ray;
Hey... it was early in the morning. I went to that page but just didn't get far enough down the page. Thanks for the information. That is a sweet looking plane.

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:13 PM
Lindale TX
Joined May 2006
64 Posts
Finished the Oly II fuse today, built fin and rudder-no problems. Started the stab and elevators and had a problem. The elevators are about 1/4" short at the tips when positioned over the plans. I will add some 1/4" square at the tips and then sand to blend in. Hope to start on the wings tonight.
burgermike is offline Find More Posts by burgermike
Old Oct 30, 2006, 04:30 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
I was flying mine yesterday off a winch and got a really nice zoom off of one of my launches. Wing doesn't flex much. I did use 1/8" square spruce turbulator spars (three of them), and wrapped the plywood webs with Kevlar tow when building it. Was going to use carbon but got talked out of it. Doesn't need it really.

Regards.
Mike K.
Mike K is offline Find More Posts by Mike K
Old Oct 30, 2006, 04:35 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Burgermike,
Are your sure? My plans were poorly reproduced which gave the appearance of size differences. Your plans are probably also stretched. I eventually figured it out and reoriented the assembled stab pieces to match the elevator. Difficult to discribe, but the bottom line is, the plans are stretched and out of scale slightly.
Dave
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
Old Oct 30, 2006, 05:03 PM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Dave,
When building your Oly ll the simple solution is , as with most kits is to trust the parts not the plans. Plans have a way of not being duplicated exactly or some have incorrect sizes due to moisture content. I use the shearwebs as a spacer for the ribs. My tail sections came out correct, I wonder if the joiner was short.
Hope this helps,
Bob
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
Old Oct 30, 2006, 07:20 PM
Lindale TX
Joined May 2006
64 Posts
All the tail pieces fit their respective drawings-i.e. all the precut parts matched exactley except for the elevators which were short. I just added some scrap to the ends and sanded to shape. The weight gain is minimal, plus I plan on cutting lightening holes. It's not a big deal, just making a not of it. Everything is going just peachy! I laid out the wing parts today. I only have a 2'x4' building board so I will have to build one panel at a time. The kit is short one rear bottom 1/4" sq spar but I think I have one in the scrap box.
burgermike is offline Find More Posts by burgermike
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:08 PM
Joined Apr 2006
243 Posts
Congratulations Ray

It looks like you have another winner on your hands!!

Great looking build Bobby, how does she fly?

Tom
Liberator is offline Find More Posts by Liberator