HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2006, 09:55 PM
I wanna go fast...
Imperial beach Ca
Joined Jun 2006
283 Posts
Cool
lets see those Cubs on floats!

Hey everyone, I've been doing my homework on the float cub I'm building. I 'd like to see pics of cubs on floats! Say a little about the performance, and your favorite traits, and bad habits!

I know there is a bunch of cub fans, So post those pics!
dirtstar1 is offline Find More Posts by dirtstar1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:02 AM
I wanna go fast...
Imperial beach Ca
Joined Jun 2006
283 Posts
Still waiting to see other cubs! In the meanwhile, Ive read a bunch of info adout float angles, and where the step is located, and I come to the conclusion that I must change my strut tower... here are a few more pics, If I missed the boat on the angles, please say something! Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:23 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
Just an opinion...after carefully looking at the pictures, I would move the floats aft 3/8" and reduce the aft strut vertical dimension by 1/8".
Is the strut arrangement rigid ? ( needs to be rigid )
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:14 PM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
841 Posts
Art: I believe you are seeing some parallax error because the plane is photographed at an angle. I think he got it really close to right.
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:32 PM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
Jim, As always, there is a lot of merit in what you say. These old eye balls have been around the sun 66.8 times...LOL !!
I enlarged the side view and tried to use a suspended ruler as a makeshift plumb line.
Time will tell. We all want the same thing..another avid waterflyer !
art
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:00 AM
I wanna go fast...
Imperial beach Ca
Joined Jun 2006
283 Posts
Thanks guys for the help! Yes Art the landing gear is very ridged, What you see in the pics is a mock up set of struts to get placement right. I built the first strut out of 3/32 stainless wire, then tig welded it together. This morning I scrapped that set to build a perfect set. Same shape, just without the peice of scrap I was using for a spacer. I looked long and hard at legend cubs web site. where the build a float kit for general aviation. So when Im done it should look pretty scale.

Tonight I balenced out the plane, And at perfect balence by the CG, The plane sits on the step on level ground. When you touch the tail, It feels like the plane would rotate easily on take off. Am I missing anything?

Thanks again

Ryan
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:30 AM
RC = Empty wallet
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2005
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtstar1
Am I missing anything?

Thanks again

Ryan

Batteries or rc equipment?
InvalidUsername is offline Find More Posts by InvalidUsername
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:54 AM
I wanna go fast...
Imperial beach Ca
Joined Jun 2006
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braden_conza
Batteries or rc equipment?

Thanks for asking. I stuffed a outrunner 450 in there ''looks like an AXI 450'' Then I coupled it to a CC phenix 25. HS 55's run the plane full house, and all that is powered by a 3s 2100 lipo. I haven't weighed it yet, but the whole thing should be about 2 pounds, with 40 ounces of thrust!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:28 AM
I wanna go fast...
Imperial beach Ca
Joined Jun 2006
283 Posts
a few pics of the dash
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:59 PM
Toronto
Joined Mar 2004
16 Posts
Dirtstar
You're going to really enjoy that model. Mine keeps me very happy...110" span, OS 91 FS, 15 1/2 lbs. I tried to make the gear scale looking without getting too carried away. You can simulate streamlined tubing by folding a strip of grey sign vinyl around the wire so the flap is facing aft. One water rudder is plenty and I ran the flex pushrod along the top of the float and up the diagonal cross brace into the fuselage. You may have to relocate your rudder servo to make this arrangement work but the clean look is worth it. The sub fin is optional performance wise but I like the look of it so I tacked one on in the scale location. It flies very nice inverted, I assume the floats help in that regard. Take offs from grass aren't a problem if the grass is wet. If it's dry I have to mist some water on the bottom of the floats and on 20 feet of grass in front of the plane. It also makes an excellent camera plane with a 2 lb. Canon DV that rotates 180 degrees inside the cabin. Heres a pic from an IMAA rally in Kinston Ont. this summer.
Bent is offline Find More Posts by Bent
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:40 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Joined Jul 2005
402 Posts
gotime242 is offline Find More Posts by gotime242
Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:12 AM
I wanna go fast...
Imperial beach Ca
Joined Jun 2006
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent
You can simulate streamlined tubing by folding a strip of grey sign vinyl around the wire so the flap is facing aft. .
Great Idea! I was going to fold up pieces of aluminum cans to foil my struts. But 5 mill sticker material will do just fine! and I can get it in any color. By the way, Your plane looks great!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:14 AM
I wanna go fast...
Imperial beach Ca
Joined Jun 2006
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime242

looks like a great day at the lake! What brand model is that?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:36 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,767 Posts
looks like a Wattage 400 Cub
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:07 PM
johnd
1 Stoplight town East of Lansing, MI
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts
My GWS Pico Cub is going together right now, and I'm abotu to get to work on the GWS floats I got with it... I put together a set of these (GWS) floats before, and i was sure all the way, that there was 'a better way to do it'. I don't go for the big red strieps, so used clear packing tape to seal the plastic bottoms to the foam tops.

The floats on the Cub above (very nice Cub by the way) look like GWS, anad also look very clean... any pointers on their assembly?

BTW, I've got a roll of that aluminum auto body repair tape that I was thinking of doing strut fairings with...

Thanks!

John D.
jondon69 is offline Find More Posts by jondon69