HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2002, 09:33 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2001
440 Posts
Good/Bad Experiencies with Grey Market Importers

Before I drop ~$1200 on a compete Logo10 sport package from a well known Hong Kong retailer, I would like to hear any good and not so good experiences with dealing with grey market importers. What additional risks am I taking by going this route?

Please be constructive on all comments, this is not intended to be bait for a bunch of venting type posts.

Thanks,

Jon.
AndrewsJr is offline Find More Posts by AndrewsJr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:11 AM
Gentleman, scholar and acrobat
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2001
427 Posts
I bought a GY240 from Cyberheli and it was at my UK front door in 3 days. I was able to track it through the Chinese postal system on the Internet. I have heard lots of good things about this company from others.

The only downside I can see importing things from reputable companies is that if you have to return the product, especially a bulky product like a kit, is that the shipping costs are high. I think that as a private individual you will pay more than commercial business rates to get it back to the retailer.

Iím not sure what credit card protection is like in Ohio but, as Iím sure you know, in Europe anyone selling on the internet is obliged to take it back no questions asked. Any fraud is the problem of the card issuer and the retailer.

Tax is also another issue. If you get hit in the UK itís 3.5% import duty + 17.5% tax plus a collection fee. I assume the same happens in the US? So far I have only been hit once. I import all sorts of stuff. I find that although the UK distrbuters of toy aeroplane stuff are getting better (Ripmax, Perkins, Flair and Irvine) they still miss out on lots of great stuff. I also find it odd that in the UK we still ďdiecruchĒ a lot of kits. For similar prices I can import nice laser or CNC machined kits for similar prices.
Cush is offline Find More Posts by Cush
Last edited by Cush; Aug 27, 2002 at 02:44 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:44 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Stephen is great! I ordered my Voyager from him and it got to my home in Canada in 2-3 days via "Speed Post". When I had concern about the swashplate, he send another one quickly, no questions asked.

I guess the risks are that you cannot return the gyro or radio to Horizon Hobbies in the US for warrantee service but must ship them back to him or someone in that area. However there is always a greater risk that the repairs would be from crash damage and paid for by you anyway

Cheers!

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Last edited by gpeden; Aug 23, 2002 at 05:08 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 01:03 PM
NJ
Joined Feb 2002
348 Posts
I ordered a hacker moter for my Logo 10 from them a couple weeks ago. It was shipped via "speed post" as well. At my door within a week. No problems at all.

By the way - the Hacker B50-13L is a real screamer in the Logo 10. Especially considering I was running the Fun 600-15 before.

Good luck, and enjoy.
helimatt is offline Find More Posts by helimatt
Old Aug 23, 2002, 04:13 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,494 Posts
I actually have much better service from oversea dealers than locals. Hoellin used to have killer deals, until the Euro got stronger. But still I would give my business to Stefan any day just for his excellent service.

Helimat wait until you try 14 cells on your B50-13L...
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280