HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2006, 11:13 AM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
Question
My DX-6 got shot down?

I was flying at my usual small field using the DX-6 in my Stryker, have been using this for quite a while with no issues.
A helicopter flew directly over the field at low altitude. I have been overflown there many times by news choppers and even had one fly around the field checking out my plane, but this one was larger and had no names or news channel numbers.
I heard it coming and started circling the field very low to give it a wide berth and when it was clear I got a little more altitude and suddenly the motor quit, I couldn't immediately tell by sound because the chopper was still near, but my plane just started gliding. Luckily I was well placed for a deadstick so after trying closing the throttle and trying to reset it I just put it down.
I walked over and picked my plane up and tried the throttle again and it was normal, threw it airborne and finished that battery and flew thru 4 more with no issues whatsoever.
Did the chopper shoot me down?
Piledriver is offline Find More Posts by Piledriver
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2006, 11:51 AM
Asheboro, NC
Joined Sep 2006
86 Posts
Very possible that the avionics on board the chopper caused an issue....What color was the chopper? Is it possible it was a military rig? I live in near proximity to Ft. Bragg and Pope AFB and constantly have military type choppers and jets/transports overhead, I have experienced difficulties with several different types of electronic devices in the past that I have attributed to these aircraft.
GETBENT is offline Find More Posts by GETBENT
Old Oct 07, 2006, 08:51 PM
Private Pilot/K5MBV/SCUBA
Garland, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,077 Posts
Was it ....gasp, BLACK with no markings? A U.N One World Order military helicopter using nuclear power to generate the EMF pulse that renders all electronics within it's preset range inoperable could have targeted you! Good thing you weren't wearing a pacemaker. hehehe

Ken K5MBV
Nicetie is offline Find More Posts by Nicetie
Old Oct 07, 2006, 11:34 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Since you had no problems with servo control, I doubt the helicopter had anything to do with it. I'd check for a loose connection between your motor and ESC.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Oct 07, 2006, 11:40 PM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
I've never had a problem with this plane before or since so I find it hard to believe it could be a loose connection. I flew the rest of that pack and 4 more with no problems.
It was a civilian chopper
Old Oct 08, 2006, 12:07 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
You can't believe it's just a loose connection or something mundane like that, but you can believe it's some mysterious device in an unmarked helicopter that interfered with only your throttle channel while leaving all of your servo channels unaffected, and all this with a 2.4 GHZ spread-spectrum DX6 system.

If you learn a little more about how your radio system works, I think you'll change your mind about that.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Oct 08, 2006, 07:13 AM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
Thanks for the attitude Mike.
I never said it was an unmarked helicopter.
I asked the question , did the chopper shoot me down, not accuse some black ops conspiracy that you seem to want to read into my question.
The plane acted like it reached LVC, still having servo control but no throttle, it just wouldn't reset like it should.
Old Oct 08, 2006, 07:15 AM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
Perhaps the proximity of the helicopter affected my esc? Made it act like it reached LVC?
Old Oct 09, 2006, 03:58 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
If a Spektrum has a BEC dropout or a shootdown (which I induced once by basically cooking it with a long-range amplified WiFi set at point blank range), it stops working completely on all channels for the same six or seven seconds you see it take to start up from cold. Since your event wasn't that, it can't have been the Spektrum.

However, ESCs might well be confused by some of the radio devices a helicopter might carry... there are VERY powerful transmitters in some avionics setups. Or it could just be pure coincidence.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Oct 09, 2006, 05:42 PM
Private Pilot/K5MBV/SCUBA
Garland, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor
If a Spektrum has a BEC dropout or a shootdown (which I induced once by basically cooking it with a long-range amplified WiFi set at point blank range), it stops working completely on all channels for the same six or seven seconds you see it take to start up from cold. Since your event wasn't that, it can't have been the Spektrum.

However, ESCs might well be confused by some of the radio devices a helicopter might carry... there are VERY powerful transmitters in some avionics setups. Or it could just be pure coincidence.
Andrew McGregor, Check your PMs.
Ken
Nicetie is offline Find More Posts by Nicetie
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:09 AM
Surprise, AZ
Joined May 2006
33 Posts
This is not that unusual--Check out RC Universe, Spektrum Issues.

TERHUT
TERHUT is offline Find More Posts by TERHUT
Old Oct 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
Whitby, Ontario
Joined Feb 2006
368 Posts
I've had my Spektrum lose connection (due to bad rx pack, I only fly glow) and I can tell you that if anything stops responding, then everything stops responding. If you only lost the throttle, then it's not the Spektrum.

In all my reading about people being 'shot down' using a Spektrum radio, it's always the throttle that seems to be affected. Never the ailerons or elevator etc. Also curious is that it's only ever electric planes.
HowardSmith is offline Find More Posts by HowardSmith