HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2006, 01:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Discussion
New Easy Star... Now what?

Just received my new Multiplex Easy Star that I've wanted for some time now. And I've spent the better part of two hours trying to search through the myriad threads in the EasyStar area for some basic information, to no avail. I think the biggest problem is that the Easy Star is such a popular plane, every raw beginner like myself with 3 successful flights on it seems to become an overnight RC expert. The problem of course, is that there seems to be an over abundance of bad info, along with modifications that range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Can anyone answer these questions for me?

1) The stock motor is a Multiplex Permax 400 6v Part #332545. I think, but am not sure, that the allowable voltages are from 6 to 8 volts. Can this motor be safely used with my ThunderPower 2s Li-Po's in sizes from 730mAh, 910mAh, and 1320 mAh?

2) I would eventually like to replace the stock Permax with a brushless, but I can't find a baseline spec for the Permax 400 kV rating, so I'm not able to search for a good replacement motor for it. Does anyone know the Permax 400 kV specs? Or does anyone have an idea of which replacement motors might work? I have a Park 370 4100kv inrunner that's not being used right now, and a Park 370 1080kV outrunner that is also available for use, would either of these two be feasible to stick in the Easy Star?

3) Is there anyway that the Easy Star can be put together without glueing the motor to the fuselage, and then glueing the fuselage together? This is what the instructs call for, but I would like to be able to periodically change the motor for experimentation purposes when I graduate to aerial photography one day. It just doesn't make sense to me that a motor should be permanently glued into a fuselage. I would like to build the plane so that the entire fuselage can be opened up whenever I need or want to do it.

These are the only mods I'm interested in at the present time (aside from running reinforced packing tape along the high wear and tear areas at the bottom of the plane). I figure that with a fuselage that can be opened up, I can always open it to do any mods I need or want to do in the future.

Thank you,

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Last edited by NoFlyZone; Oct 07, 2006 at 01:55 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2006, 03:57 AM
California
Joined Apr 2006
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
1) The stock motor is a Multiplex Permax 400 6v Part #332545. I think, but am not sure, that the allowable voltages are from 6 to 8 volts. Can this motor be safely used with my ThunderPower 2s Li-Po's in sizes from 730mAh, 910mAh, and 1320 mAh?
2S lipo will work, you just have to figure out how to balance the bird with each size of the battery. However, it will fly a bit under power when comparing to 7 cell, as 2S lipo has less voltage then 7 cell under load.

Quote:
2) I would eventually like to replace the stock Permax with a brushless, but I can't find a baseline spec for the Permax 400 kV rating, so I'm not able to search for a good replacement motor for it. Does anyone know the Permax 400 kV specs? Or does anyone have an idea of which replacement motors might work? I have a Park 370 4100kv inrunner that's not being used right now, and a Park 370 1080kV outrunner that is also available for use, would either of these two be feasible to stick in the Easy Star?
By replaceing a brushed motor with a brushless one with same KV using the same prop won't get you more power. It may give longer flight time, but that's about it... As for a suitable brushless replacement, I don't think there is a "one" that everyone agreed to be the best. Your best bet would be do a search in the EasyStar thread in the foamie section. I personally think it's a wast of money to put brushless on ES.

Quote:
3) Is there anyway that the Easy Star can be put together without glueing the motor to the fuselage, and then glueing the fuselage together? This is what the instructs call for, but I would like to be able to periodically change the motor for experimentation purposes when I graduate to aerial photography one day. It just doesn't make sense to me that a motor should be permanently glued into a fuselage. I would like to build the plane so that the entire fuselage can be opened up whenever I need or want to do it.
3M double-side the poster tape. That's what Multiplex uses in the RTF version of EasyStar.

~asm
asm_ is offline Find More Posts by asm_
Old Oct 07, 2006, 12:06 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
The stock motor and 2S-Lipoly will definately be less power than 7-8 cell NiMh/NiCd.

More power can easily be had with a S-400 7.2v or S-480 (silver can) on 3S-Lipoly and 6x4 APC or MAS prop for a very reasonable cost.

For BL power, there are several people in the Ez-Star thread (Foamies Kit Forum) that have done successful conversions.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Oct 07, 2006, 07:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asm_
...I personally think it's a wast of money to put brushless on ES...

...3M double-side the poster tape. That's what Multiplex uses in the RTF version of EasyStar...
~asm
Hi asm,

Thank you very much for the info. After doing a lot of reading and researching over on those forums, I'm going to stay with the stock brushed motor and use an APC 6x4E prop. After I complete the build, I'll post the amperage draws of both props at various rpm. Besides, those replacement stockers can be had for as little as $6.00 - $7.00.

I've gone and bought the 3m Scotch DS Poster Tape as you suggested. I'm going to CA the back 7 inches of the fuselage, where the elevator and rudder attach to it... then use the tape on the rest of the fuselage. I'm also going to reinforce the back 6" of the fuse with a 3/16" CF tube, as this seems to be the weakest and most flex prone area of the plane. While I'm at it, I'm going to dig out a channel for another motor wire and lay it into the plane in case I want one day to go brushless for whatever reason.

Thanks again for your help!

Chuck
Old Oct 07, 2006, 07:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsracer
More power can easily be had with a S-400 7.2v or S-480 (silver can) on 3S-Lipoly and 6x4 APC or MAS prop for a very reasonable cost.
Hi popsracer,

I finally ran across some posts by a few very knowledgeable people. One in particular recommended the APC 6x4E on the stock 400 motor. I'm thinking this might increase the thrust and allow one to use less throttle at slow cruising speeds. I'll post the results of my E-Meter tests after I'm done building it. I'm not really after more power, but am more interested in longer flight times at a relaxed flying speed. Modifications are going to be kept to the bare minimum, as they only seem to add uneccessary weight in most cases. I mean, why add all that weight just so the plane is capable of doing things it wasn't designed to do?

Thank you for the help!

Chuck
Old Oct 07, 2006, 08:03 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
Going only by my personal observations I didn't think the 6x4E APC prop did anything better than the stock prop. You seem to be on the right track with your build. I would go with a 7 or 8 cell non lipo pack with the supplied brushed motor. The weight of the battery helps to balance as well. I flew my ES stock for the longest time before I modified it, it was a great flyer, even did some slope soaring with it as well.
I currently have added ailerons, cut down the wing, installed a full length wing support rod (from an EasyGlider, twice as long as the little stock one) installed a Warp4-4 turn, Phoenix 25 speed controller and now run a 3 cell 2100 in it. It was radared at our club a few weeks ago in the mid 70's mph! It a whole different kind of fun seeing an ES come blazin' down the flightline.
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Old Oct 07, 2006, 09:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPete
...It was radared at our club a few weeks ago in the mid 70's mph! It a whole different kind of fun seeing an ES come blazin' down the flightline.
OMG, that's insane... LOL

I think for now, I'll just try to fight the reduced weight problem caused by using my Li-Po's. If I was just starting out, I might be tempted to go buy the NiMh's... but I have 4 TP 2s 1320's that I'd really like to try using. I'll jam the battery, esc, and receiver up into the nose as far as I can, and hopefully I won't be too far from having the correct COG. If it's still too light up there, I'll go buy the biggest 2s batteries I can find until I get the right weight.

Thanks for the help... maybe one day I'll go with a setup like yours. I just got done using a Dremel tool to make a nice deep channel that will accomodate 3 wires, just in case I go that route.

Like I said, I'm going to E-Meter the stock prop, and the APC 6x4E just to see what the difference is. Once I know the specs at different rpm's... then when I get to the park tomorrow to fly it, I'll be able to compare minimum cruising speeds with the different props. I'll post the results.

Thanks again, Pete

Chuck
Old Oct 08, 2006, 01:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPete
I would go with a 7 or 8 cell non lipo pack with the supplied brushed motor. The weight of the battery helps to balance as well.
Hi Pete,

Well, those 1320 2s Li-Po's at 2 ounces don't even come close to letting me hit the COG. And the biggest 2s Li-Po I can find (2000 mAh) only weighs 3 ounces, so they wouldn't work anyway.

But I did manage to find 2 batteries from my Firebird Freedom. I'd forgotten I had them because the Firebird was a disaster I'd just as soon forget. Anyway, they are 7 cell 8.4v 1000 mAh and weigh 5.3 ounces. The ones Hobby Lobby sell for the Easy Star are 7c 1100 mAh and 5.3 ounces.

I did a quick check and they are going to work perfectly for the COG.

Chuck
Old Oct 08, 2006, 10:01 PM
Plane O, TX
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
I'm running my EZ* Using 2 - 1320 2s Li-Po's rubber banned together with 4 quarters taped under the canopy and it fly's great! My CG is farther about 78-80mm but I like it there. I bought the plane used/never flown from a another member with 2-8.4 1100 mah batteries but I like flying wih the lipos much better. Waiting on a liposhield to come this week so I don't have to worry about running to long.

The nihm's must have been sitting for a while though. I am wondering if cycling them a couple times might provide better flight times.
M@ R is offline Find More Posts by M@ R
Old Oct 08, 2006, 10:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@ R
The nihm's must have been sitting for a while though. I am wondering if cycling them a couple times might provide better flight times.
Hi M@R,

Actually, the COG mark is 78 mm, just like you have it.

I maidened my ES today with the 7 cell 8.4v 1000 mAh batteries and got 20 minutes of flying. Most of it at just a few clicks of throttle, and sometimes just deadsticking it.

A great plane!

But the thing takes FOREVER to land! A couple times I turned in for my final approach at 10 feet off the ground... and 200 yards later I was still at maybe 4 feet high. Geeeeeeeeze this thing glides!!! Almost toooooo well. It takes a lot of down elevator to bring this thing in for a landing.

Chuck
Old Oct 09, 2006, 08:05 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Joined Oct 2006
85 Posts
Hi, very interesting comments.
I'm planning to buy the Easy Star very soon! Can you tell me what servos and receiver are you using ? I'm going to buy futaba but am still not very sure which ones are the correct.
Thanks!
limaunion is offline Find More Posts by limaunion
Old Oct 09, 2006, 10:27 AM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
If you use lipos make sure you upgrade the ESC or figure out how long you can fly before the voltage drops too low. Since the ESC that comes with the Easy Star DOES NOT have a low voltage cutoff if you run the plane too long you will go too low on votlage and damage the lipos.

Good luck!!
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old Oct 09, 2006, 11:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaunion
Hi, very interesting comments.
I'm planning to buy the Easy Star very soon! Can you tell me what servos and receiver are you using ? I'm going to buy futaba but am still not very sure which ones are the correct.
Thanks!
Hi Limaunion,

I'm using a Spektrum DX6 transmitter, which I really like, and the receiver for it is the Spektrum AR6000, which comes with the transmitter. I'm also using a Castle Creations Pixie 20P ESC, which is more than adequate to handle the stock brushed motor, and it's fully programmable.

As far as servos, I have E-Flite S75 sub micro servos in it. They generate 17oz.in of torque which seems very adequate to move the control surfaces of the Easy Star. If you are going with the Futaba servos, then I would imagine any Futaba servo giving that much torque should be fine. You don't have to be concerned with room for the servos in the Easy Star, as there is plenty of room to spare in case you want to go with a larger servo.

As far as battery packs go, I'm using a 7cell 8.4v 1000mAh battery which gives 20 minutes or so of flight times, and the battery weighs 5.3 ounces. This seems to be the perfect weight, because the plane balances right smack on the COG with a stock build. I didn't make any mods to the plane except for using a 6 1/4" long piece of .188" OD carbon fiber tube at the rear of the plane. When you get your Easy Star, you will notice a small channel at the back of the fuse. All I did was cut a piece of carbon fiber and lay it in the channel using CA. It seems to stiffen up the very tail of the ES and it doesn't really add any weight back there.

I'm using an APC 6x4E prop and a 2.3mm prop adaptor with nose cone instead of the stock prop. The stock prop is supposed to be put on and glued onto the motor shaft, but that just goes against my grain for some reason. I'll do a side by side comparison of the amp draws with both the stock prop, and the APC 6x4E maybe today, and will post the results for you.

The thing about this plane, is that it LOVES to fly high. Even with a 54" wing span, it'll go so high that you can't tell which way it's going if you're not careful. Yesterday was my maiden flight in a dead calm at the surface. But up high there was maybe a 10-15 mph wind (I'm guessing), but the Easy Star was not being buffeted around at all. I think it will make a superb aerial photography plane for this reason.

If there's any more questions I can answer for you, feel free to ask away.

Chuck
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:36 PM
Joined Jan 2009
11 Posts
what about this new one,some pepole like it very much now ...

http://www.rc-model.cn/802.htm
Newstar is offline Find More Posts by Newstar
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:12 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
As usual, Chuck knows . Whatever your experience, when you get a plane new to you, ask questions . Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt