SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2006, 12:54 AM
Build, Fly, Crash. Repeat
Tampa, FL
Joined Oct 2005
284 Posts
Build Log
Littlescreamer-Powered RiteWing-MiniDemon!

Hey All! I wanted to share some pics of my build with everyone

Talking to Bob (RVincent) of Littlescreamers a while back about fixing up some of the LS motors I had, well right before he sent them back we got to talking about his SpeedScream wind and I mentioned I'd love to test it out! So he sent me this 2 cell race motor with ample warnings about bench testing and over propping, that in mind I asked him what airframe could best display this little guy. The RiteWing MiniDemon was the first on the list. Contacted Larry at MonsoonRC (superniceguy-btw) he hooked me up with one So it arrived with the two cores nicely glued together and the battery bay cut out. I followed CK's awesome video (really awesome), cut out the servo spots and stuck them in there (E-Flite S-75's) and laid out the rest of my gear. Put the coroplast over the battery bay.

Covered the electronics bay with coroplast then test fit the motor mount, made the cuts and this next picture is the cut motor mount area while sitting in the bottom wing beds..

After that the next step was gluing the mounts on and covering. I was a little unsure about how strong it would be but after the RITE method of glassing, it took on a whole new attitude!

Just like the wing master Chris Klique (Ritewing) says, super light and super strong while still having a little flex. I talked with Chris about a bunch of little questions that he never got tired explaining even when most normal people should be sleeping, he was just as excited as I was, totally friendly, awesome guy!! I digress! So The wing was getting stronger and I had chosen some neon monokote to cover it. Copied CK's designs and it turned out great.

( ok ok my desk is a TAD messy )

Following with the ailerons, decided to go orange on the top and a little pattern on the bottom (partially because I wrote on the balsa with a pen and you could see it through the green covering! the orange in the middle covered that up nicely)

Being the first time using the RITE method, i think you can still see a few bumps here and there on the surface, the light really makes a horror show out of what is barely noticable in real life, beginner mistakes!

I added the winglets, ran the antenna out the battery bay down the LE, through the tip of the coroplast winglet and out the back and that my friends is the story!

Thanks Bob for the decals!! Its the equivalent of a Type-R sticker on a Honda! I like those two, they look great!

I would like to thank (no particular order) Bob Vincent of Littlescreamers, Chris Kique of RiteWing, Larry of MonsoonRC for helping me get started and grabbing the S-75's! Don of StrongRC.com! CastleCreations support, Graves RC and all users on RCG who helped along the way!.

Maiden tomorrow! I'll report back on how crazy this thing goes!

Parts List:

Thunderpower 7.4v 1320mah Lipo (w/microdeans) -LHS
Littlescreamers SpeedScream (2 cell-race motor) - HL soon!
APC 4.75x4.75 Prop - can't remember
RiteWing 22" MiniDemon - monsoonrc.com
E-Flite S-75's - monsoonrc.com
Berg Microstamp 4L (w/Berg Crystal!) - LHS (castlecreations.com)
CoolRunnings A-25 ESC (direct motor connection) - GravesRC
Slowfly 8mm tube mount - strongrcmotors.com
IBWingnutz is offline Find More Posts by IBWingnutz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2006, 01:03 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Fantastic Job. that looks like it will be a winner..

Keep us posted we all love maiden stories.. get some video if you can..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Oct 07, 2006, 01:16 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
ditto what Paul said...

Oh, and I see that you're in Tampa... The wife and I are taking the 'little one' to the 'happiest place on earth' next week.

If for some reason you decide against keeping this beautiful specimen, you may hand-deliver to me @ the Allstar-movies resort

hehe

Can't blame me for trying!

-mike s.
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Oct 07, 2006, 11:12 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
Can't wait to hear the flight report!
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Oct 07, 2006, 11:22 AM
Herndon, VA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
Awesome build report. That last picture sure makes the plane look fierce!
I expect a video today! Stat!!!!
aspencer80 is offline Find More Posts by aspencer80
Old Oct 07, 2006, 11:54 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,791 Posts
Coppy cat!
It looks great.
Have a great maiden.
ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 07, 2006, 12:50 PM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
Bright enough? Love the color scheme it should make a cool blur as it screams by!

Scott
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers
Old Oct 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Herndon, VA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
A FlouroFella candidate for sure!!!
Old Oct 07, 2006, 02:47 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
Looks awesome! But what happens when the heat in the bearing tube mount softens the zip ties? Shouldn't you bolt down a motor with that much power?
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Oct 07, 2006, 04:46 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
You may be alright with heat since you are using the tube mount which should not get that hot. I do agree that you would be better off with a more solid mount option though. I have the same motor, or at least real close, that Bob wound for me. I used a LS stick mount with stick buried in the rear of the wing and it works rather well. Looks like you have the right core for the job and I can not wait to hear your reaction to the initial burst from the motor after tossing it. It literally explodes from nothing to holy buckets in no time at all.

One other slight concern I see is the length of the control rods and possibilty of surface flapping. If she gets on step and finds an ocscillation in the surface you'll take a butt clinching ride for a few seconds there. Mine does at full speed but it's due to the core not being glassed/CK'd properly.

Good luck with it and looking forward to the flight report.

Good winds
Bill
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Oct 07, 2006, 04:49 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Where'd you get that CR A25?
Old Oct 07, 2006, 05:09 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
The way that motor is in the airstream, it won't even get warm I have the same set up on my 32"er and that motor lands ice cold As long as Steve stays within the prop limits I gave him, it will be just fine. The one item I do worry about is the mount assembly rolling? That motor makes buckets of torque!
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Oct 07, 2006, 05:33 PM
Herndon, VA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
I'd be worried about the CoG being back a little far.
My psychic ability predicts a tail heavy first flight.
Lets see if Im right!!!

What about the ESC overheating? Lets hope it stays cool enough.
Old Oct 07, 2006, 06:22 PM
Build, Fly, Crash. Repeat
Tampa, FL
Joined Oct 2005
284 Posts
Hey All!

Ok had a blast today with the maiden! I was a little nervous, I hadn't even weighed this sucker yet but couldn't wait any longer.
First flight was short and thankfully landed safe, cg was a little far back as I anticipated. So grabbed 1/2oz of weights, taped it to the top and sent her skyward! Much better! Way more flyable. little down trim.. little right trim and she was great, the faster it flew the better it flew!

Full speed the only think I noticed (when i could see it ) was the wing tips would oscillate forward and backward while the plane was going straight/level. Don't know what that was? Ideas?

I had D/R set up on my Tx and the first uneventful flight it was very clear the exagerated throws were actually stalling the plane. I figured they might help until I got her up, NOPE! Couldn't even get her high enough with the high throws. Switched it to low and with the new cg, flew great.

Full throttle was a little intense, sweating big time not just because of the sun! The pattern i have on there was critical to success.. it gets very small VERY fast... it was at least 3/4 mile away and when it banked and reflected the sunlight it was clear which side was which! Super great template thanks CK!

Landing .. .Yes landing.. Well lets see... at the end of the video (hopefully you can scan forward) was a interesting event. Coming down pretty fast, wind gust, it banked left, I did something on the controls, it looped (15 feet off the ground) I heard a fwap, and there it was sitting beautifully on the ground right side up.. Not even a scratch Totally scared the crap out of me but wow it was amazing I think it landed flat on the ground. (The attempts at good video sometimes can backfire on ya!! )

I got the second full flight on my re-useable 30 dollar vid camera so quality is minimal but you get the idea!!

Topspeed estimate?? Well right before I flew this I warmed up with my Brushless Stryker.. It was faster than that but not as fast as Chris's bigger wings/ Bob's FW190. For the size? Holy smokes way past the limits!!!
I am WAY impressed with this combination and I haven't even got the bugs worked out. Lowcost-superfast-wing, lowcost superfast motor = Lowcost super super fun times!

Note: motor was cold when it came down.. Probably could handle more!!! (What do you think Bob?? )

Bildo - I got it at GravesRC right before they sold out (august)

Dr. K - The motor mount is Goop'd in as well as ziptied. It wasn't loose at all after the maiden. Motor mount ice cold after the flight.. .ESC well ... Super-warm..... need to work on that one

Paul Vi- Thanks means a lot!

CK - Flew awesome at full tilt even after a WOT dive. Thanks man!

spencer - go fly your twinstar!! Jk get a rite wing!!!!

VIDEO
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579949
IBWingnutz is offline Find More Posts by IBWingnutz
Old Oct 07, 2006, 06:23 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
I have the same setup with CR A25 buried in the wing (zero air flow) and it stays pretty cool. I do take it easy on mine though, only going WOT in bursts during speed runs. You're right Bob, the LS/SS comes down barely warm every time. My recommendation is launch and get her away from you (fingers) and roll the throttle on gradually because as Bob says she puts out enormous amounts of torque if you hit it hard. A little goes a long way until you get it under control. I launched and went WOT once and torqued it right in to the ground. Thought it was a glitch at first.