HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2002, 05:58 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Graupner Piper Cub J-3

Hi

I'm looking for a suitable second plane, and would like a nicely made ARF scale plane. Can anyone provide advice on the Graupner Piper Cub J-3? It sounds well made, nice looking and pleasant flyer - anyone built/flown this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Peter
Peter Young is offline Find More Posts by Peter Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2002, 08:17 AM
Dave Segal
Philadelphia PA USA
Joined Jun 2001
545 Posts
Just click over to the review at http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200...inipiper.shtml
Dsegal is offline Find More Posts by Dsegal
Old Aug 25, 2002, 05:23 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I was refering to the IC plane - see the links below:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pipercubj3.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...ew&reviewid=20

Thanks

Peter
Old Aug 25, 2002, 12:14 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
Peter, I cant comment on the Graupner version, but I have been flying the Kyosho SQS Cub 40 for a couple weeks and since they have the same specs, I assume they are quite similar.

I think this would be a great second plane. Mine has PLENTY of power with a new Magnum XL.46 on the nose. It will sustain a climb at about 45degrees at full throttle and it has good flying manners It will perform basic maneuvers like loop, roll, stall turns, inverted flight, spins, etc. It actually does aerobatics much better than I had anticipated. Mine flies more like a sport plane than a trainer.

It will slow down very well for landing, and I mix in about 20 degrees of flaperon to slow it down faster. It glides longer than I expected. Last weekend I had I think four dead-stick landings (still tuning and breaking in my engine). All were landed on the runway without a problem.

Cheers
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn
Old Aug 25, 2002, 06:00 PM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
Thanks - that's very helpful. Our lhs were advising against a cub because they thought I'd get bored with it, but your experience is reassuring. I was planning on a 4 stroke engine for the sound realism. How's the kit quality of the Kyosho? The review I read of the Graupner was appealing because of the quality of finish of the kit.

Peter
Old Aug 25, 2002, 06:51 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
I happenned to read that review a few days ago. It seems that the kit may be a bit heavier than the Kyosho since mine is somewhere between 5.5 and 6 lbs AUW. Granted, the reviewer used an engine that is quite large so it may not be much difference.

I'm happy with the build quality, even though I think they use an aliphatic glue for assembly which may soften in extreme heat. I havent had any trouble in that regard. I had a nose-in crash from about 40 feet altitude and needed to rebuild the nose from the firewall to the front wing bulkhead. This happenned while the Cub was electric powered and was carrying over 2lbs of batteries just behind this bulkhead. Overall, I thought the damage was minimal for the accident and nothing else on the airframe sustained damage from the impact.

As far as assembly goes, I think the Graupner kit is a bit more prefinished than the Kyosho. I didnt have any trouble assembling the kit, but it would have been nice to have the motor mounts pre-drilled for example as in the Graupner version.

For the same price, I think I would try the Graupner, though I was happy enough with the Kyosho that I've already bought another in the series (the Breitling Sukhoi SU-31), which I am equally impressed by.

Hope this helps!

BTW, what was your first plane? If it was a 4 channel trainer-type ARF, you may get bored. It will fly similarly, its just a lot prettier.
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn
Old Aug 25, 2002, 09:15 PM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
First IC plane is a high wing trainer - a WorldStar 40. It's described as a good second plane, with some aerobatic abilities. We've been flying electrics also (combat wing, soarstar).

I don't have any great ambitions to fly aerobatics with glow planes - at this stage I'm happy leaving this to epp foam electric planes (hoping to get a TwinJet for Christmas). I'm looking for a nice looking scale plane (Cub, Beaver, maybe a DC3 twin) that is ARF, very nicely finished/nice looking, and easy to fly without fear of imminent destruction.

Thanks for your help.

Peter