HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2006, 11:25 AM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
938 Posts
Build Log
F16 Diamond Formation Flyer

I have been kicking this around for awhile now and finally decided to try it. I am going to build a flying diamond formation using F16's as the planes. This is based on the concept from Ken Willard's Bluebirds design from an old RCM magazine (I think it was RCM back in the 80's). The planes will be profile. I will be using the ailerons of the left and right planes (in tandem on each side) as the left and right ailerons for the formation. The rear plane's ailerons will also be used in tandem as the elevator. At this point I will be configuring this in the pusher set up with either an outrunner or a CD ROM motor. Haven't settled on which one yet. I will decide on the battery once I get the prototype built depending on how much it weighs.
Below is a roughed out view of how this will look. The planes are approximately 18" long with a 12" wingspan. I have already cut out the palnes and will begin assembly later this weekend. As you will see, I will be connecting the planes at the leading edges using hollow carbonfiber tubes.
I will attach more pictures of the build over the next couple of days.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2006, 01:29 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,608 Posts
i have seen this@a local HS,very nice.
ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Oct 06, 2006, 03:01 PM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
938 Posts
The drawing is something I pulled from a 3 view and actually put into an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet since I have no CAD programs. Works well enough. I'm curious though about what you saw in the hobbystore. Was it a scratch build as well or a kit??
Old Oct 06, 2006, 10:31 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
A fun project... If you're interested, I can make some suggestions based on my version. Sounds like you are on the right track, although your carbon framework will need to be much more stiff.

The build thread

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Oct 09, 2006, 08:23 AM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
938 Posts
Thanks Matt. I will check out your thread. Right now I'm trying to figure out the CG. My best estimate is somewhere just behind the leading edge of the stab on the lead plane. Where did you balance yours? Also, glued the four top views together to the carbonfiber last night. It was pretty solid. One weak spot I will need to beef up is where the rear plane and the lead plane touch. I will put a small rod between the two. It won't be visible but should stiffen up nicely. I will try to post some pics either tonight or tomorrow.

Mine seem to be a bit smaller than yours at a 12" wingspan. Wish I would have gone larger. I would like to try and have this done in time for the JR Indoor Electric Fly being held November 4th in Columbus, Ohio. It's essentially an indoor driving range covered by a huge inflatible dome. The reason for this size is to stay with something that I could fly indoors as well as out.
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 10:40 AM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Removed
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Last edited by LBMiller5; Oct 10, 2006 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Posted in Wrong Thread!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:33 PM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
938 Posts
Matt, I was looking at your build thread (great work!) and noticed that it looked like you used the rear plane as an elevon. I'm thinking about using the outboard planes as the ailerons. I was going to use both ailerons in tandem as one. They would go up and down in unison. Now I'm thinking I could make just the outboard wing on each the aileron. It would be a good size/portion of the wing like you did on the rear plane in your configuration but a tad thinner. Do you think that would work well given your experience with flying your diamond?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 01:35 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Ah.... I wondered when someone else was going to try it. I'm in the middle of my build, mine are not profile flyers..... they will be full dimension airframes. Can't wait to get it flying.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:33 PM
Mike
Joined Jul 2003
938 Posts
Here are some pics. The structure is fairly solid. I will be running some tri stock from the lead plane to the rear plane to strengthen the assembly across the middle. The stock will be glued to where the top and side pieces intersect for a 90 degree angle.
I've progressed beyond these pictures and need to add more. Some of the markings are now on the planes (starting to look like T-Birds). Will be working on the control surfaces then adding in the Side profile pieces.
Hopefully by the end of this weekend I can get to the point of adding the motor, radio and battery. It will depend on the weather (still have tons of yard work to do) and the Buckeyes game. Go Bucks!