HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2006, 05:57 PM
San Jose, Ca
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Discussion
Foam-Safe Spray Paint

I've heard that several people use spray paint purchased from their local hardware store to paint their planes. Does anybody know which ones are foam safe, or which ones to avoid?
mozmonkey is offline Find More Posts by mozmonkey
Last edited by mozmonkey; Oct 05, 2006 at 06:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2006, 10:53 PM
Spring time, planes bloom
near UNC Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2003
1,787 Posts
I just painted my e-starter with Krylon spraypaint from Walmart.

http://www.krylon.com/sprayyourway/h2oproducts/

different colors and won't hurt the foam at all
ecologito is offline Find More Posts by ecologito
Old Oct 05, 2006, 11:43 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,320 Posts
I use water based latex and latex enamel (from several sources) and have not had a problem.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Oct 09, 2006, 12:59 AM
San Jose, Ca
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om
I use water based latex and latex enamel (from several sources) and have not had a problem.

Tom
Do you know any brands off-hand? Where do you get these?
Old Oct 09, 2006, 10:21 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozmonkey
Do you know any brands off-hand? Where do you get these?

The paint I am using now is from Ace Hardware. It is called "Ace Royal 100% Acrylic Latex Enamel". I am using the Ace paint only because there is an Ace Hardware store within 2 miles of my house and they computer color mix anything I want.

I have also used latex paint from Home Depot and Lowes... both worked fine but I slightly prefer the "Behr" brand paints from Home Depot. The Behr metallics are VERY nice.

Tom
Old Oct 09, 2006, 03:36 PM
San Jose, Ca
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om
The paint I am using now is from Ace Hardware. It is called "Ace Royal 100% Acrylic Latex Enamel". I am using the Ace paint only because there is an Ace Hardware store within 2 miles of my house and they computer color mix anything I want.

I have also used latex paint from Home Depot and Lowes... both worked fine but I slightly prefer the "Behr" brand paints from Home Depot. The Behr metallics are VERY nice.
Are these spray paints? If not, do you just apply them with a brush or sprayer of some kind?
Old Oct 09, 2006, 04:16 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Rustoleum!!!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Oct 09, 2006, 04:17 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Are these spray paints? If not, do you just apply them with a brush or sprayer of some kind?
These are not 'spray paints' as in rattle can paint. They are regular old house paints.

I apply mine with airbrushes and a larger touch-up gun intended for automotive use.

Tom
Old Oct 09, 2006, 05:59 PM
San Jose, Ca
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot
Rustoleum!!!
Then I guess a better question is: "what type of spray paint is NOT foam safe"? I tried a couple cans I already had and they dissolved the test foam I sprayed them on.

Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush and am looking for a quick and cheap way to do it right now without investing in more equipment. I'll probably invest in an airbrush sometime in the next 6 months.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 07:05 PM
All posts Copyright '07
Joined Sep 2004
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Then I guess a better question is: "what type of spray paint is NOT foam safe"? I tried a couple cans I already had and they dissolved the test foam I sprayed them on.

Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush and am looking for a quick and cheap way to do it right now without investing in more equipment. I'll probably invest in an airbrush sometime in the next 6 months.

createx airbursh paints are great, even in a $5 harbor freight airbrush system. they cost about $3 per bottle at Michaels. no thinning needed. if you have a compressor (even a big one), you are good to go. just get a cheap regulator.
TrappedinNM is offline Find More Posts by TrappedinNM
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:45 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
I just used Krylon Shortcuts for the first time on a Depron model. Many folks in the foamie section highly recommended it and it was pleasant to work with. Fast drying, easy to mask lines, decent color selection. Only downside is the cans are small like the Tamiya car paints so depending on model size you may need a couple cans. Found at Ace, True Value, and I heard Michaels but not 100% sure.

Your quest to find foam safe rattle can paints is going to be short. Most rattle-cans use solvents in their propellant like acetone. They are designed to evaporate quickly out of the paint and promote flow of the paint while it's present. Solvents eat foam and many plastics. Foam safe paints use special propellants and water based ingredients. Generally they are well marked that they are foam compatable since they are marketing the arts and crafts sector. They are usually a couple bucks more a can but worth it if you don't want to break out the air compressors and spray guns.

But, be careful of any 'ole brand of paint you suspect may be foam safe or the lady at Michaels says is foam safe. My buddy bought cans of paint at Michaels and started spraying his molded foamie (without testing) and 5 minutes later his plane looked like it took an acid bath!! The solvents can take a few minutes to eat through foam so be patient when testing.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:59 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecologito
I just painted my e-starter with Krylon spraypaint from Walmart.

http://www.krylon.com/sprayyourway/h2oproducts/

different colors and won't hurt the foam at all
So what is wrong with the quoted spray paint? I guess the question was answered with the first reply.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:01 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,009 Posts
There's nothing wrong with that...problem is sometimes it's tough to find a specific brand or style so it's good to know alternatives.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:33 PM
San Jose, Ca
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
So what is wrong with the quoted spray paint? I guess the question was answered with the first reply.
There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just having trouble finding it. My local Walmart said they carried it, but when I got there they had only 2 colors in stock -- and you guessed it -- they weren't the colors I was looking for. I'm trying to find out my options so I can go anywhere and know what I can buy.

I'm going to try another Walmart tomorrow. So far the Krylon H2O looks good and is at a great price ($3.77) compared to the small cans they sell at the LHS for $5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy
The solvents can take a few minutes to eat through foam so be patient when testing.
I've been testing every can on scrap foam first. It's pretty impressive watching it eat through the foam and relieving to know I tried it first.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:33 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
The Krylon H20 Flaked right off of th foam of my Megatech Stealth.

Do all of these acrylic paints have a problem with this?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38