SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2001, 09:33 AM
Bloomington, MN
Joined May 2001
112 Posts
Why solder ESC's instead of plug-n-fly?

Why do instructions say to solder ESCs directly to the motors instead of simply attach the motor side to a plug and be able to swap ESCs between aircraft?

And, if you do this, shouldn't you be able to solder the capacitors and/or diodes to the ESC side of the plug set up and take them with the swappable ESC?

Has anyone tried this?
J Cubed is offline Find More Posts by J Cubed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2001, 09:54 AM
Somewhere in England
Joined Apr 2001
207 Posts
>Why do instructions say to solder ESCs directly to the motors ..snip..

No particular reason. One less thing to hook up the wrong way around perhaps.

>And, if you do this, shouldn't you be able to solder the capacitors and/or diodes to the ESC side of the plug set up and take them with the swappable ESC?

Well the capacitors work best when connected as close to the brushes as possible. Inside the motor might be the best place for them. Also the best suppression network has two capacitors - one capacitor soldered between each brush and the can of the motor.

[This message has been edited by cwatters (edited 06-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cwatters (edited 06-28-2001).]
cwatters is offline Find More Posts by cwatters
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:12 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Yeah, what cwatters said

Connectors are things that go wrong and can be connected up wrong and will always have more resistance than just wire. But there's nothing stopping you from using them if you want.

But leave the capacitors on the motor. You really do not want long wires on things intended to suppress interference

Very few modern ESCs still need a Schottky diode but that can be on the ESC if it is needed.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jun 28, 2001, 07:43 PM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
I usually solder a 1" section of 14 ga. wire and add a Dean's ultra male connector to my motors. I use 3 caps instead of 2. 1 in between the leads also. I don't know if this is really better it's just the way I read to do it in S&E modeler.
-fish
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:13 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
I use the " 3 cap " supression also. I forgot the contact to contact one and after adding it got a noticable increase in " antenna down" range in the ground check.

I also put the Deans Ultra with a little wire on the motor ( unless there is no room in the model)
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jun 29, 2001, 06:06 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,631 Posts
If space/weight is an issue (4 models) then I solder directly to the motor, otherwise (2 models) I use connectors.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover