HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RayH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 06:33 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
Fair enough. What are you in need of trade wise? gv
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2006, 06:40 PM
Tuskegee Airmen; My Heros
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavoss
Fair enough. What are you in need of trade wise? gv

LOL would you believe, twill. But just the standard 8.8 oz white stuff.

If you can get another roll the same size,as the black one, I will get you one of everything I have on hand. Provided they are all single layer lay ups.
RayH is offline Find More Posts by RayH
Last edited by RayH; Oct 09, 2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 06:48 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
When you say, "everything on hand" does that include an F80 too or ones you have already laid up? I"m just wondering. I'll get the glass situation handled tomorrow. GV
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gavoss; Oct 10, 2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 08:11 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
Address please for shipping. gv
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:39 PM
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
.. not able to get any work done last night, and tonight may be kinda rough too. Need to ship a 1/4 scale Spit to Florida, a slope kit to northern Cal, and that will most likely take up the rest of the evening. I will try and get the rest of the seaming done for George and Jack over the next couple of days. Stay tuned.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 02:51 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
I'm cool with the list you sent me. I'm checking on the FG right now. When I get a shippng total from them, I'll get the cloth and have it shipped.

Again, not to keep repeating myself, but no rush on the other fuses. I'll tackle the Macchi's simultaniously since they will use the same paint and then the DC3 is next. I'll probably have the Spit fuse by then so it'll follow.

I'll post when I get the FG paid for and shipped.

I do have a question, actually a few really. I pretty much thought that most builders used a 2-piece mold and they put the joining tape or lap seam while the halves were still in the mold. Is it easier/better to use molds like the Macchi where you finish both sides and then pull them from the mold, tape the halves together and then join the 2 halves? I've had pretty good luck making plugs and molds, but I can't make fuses that are even close to useable. I guess I could try again with more info from you.

Along the same line, it looks like there is no opening in the mold for the wing. Are you cutting a hole for the wing in each half and then putting the tape on from the wing opening? Finally, do you wet out the tape before you try to install it or do you put it along the seam dry and then wet it out? Inquiring minds want to know. gv
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:41 PM
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
lots of ways to do it but my steps.
I dont always have the time to do a "wet" seam, and only the Me262 and the L-39 are bolt together so that I could if I even did want to.

-prep mold (clean up then wax with hi quality auto carnuba wax)
-cut cloth to cover mold halves then remove from mold
-lay in light coat of resin into mold
-lay in thickened resin into problem areas, 90 degree corners, exhaust, over hangs etc
-lay pre cut cloth back into mold
-wet cloth with addition resin
-squeeze / mop out any extra resin
-allow to cure, if able when "green" or when resin starts to get hard take fresh razor blade to over hanging cloth, and cut down flush to mold.
-allowing about 24 hours to cure, then pop out fuse halves align and tape sides together.
-working from one side of the fuse, open by removing the tape from that side, usually the bottom. Lay out seam tape to length, cut, then drop inside the fuse. I use scrap balsa to keep the bottom of the fuse open as I lay the tape in dry into the dry fuse.
- pour light amounts of resin into fuse and brush into the seam tape, retape shut the bottom of the fuse, and stand on nose so that any residual resin will run to the nose.
- When cured, cut out the hatch, and repeat process, working through the much smaller hatch opening. This will require a dowel with the brush taped to the end to reach all the way to the tail as well as the nose as needed.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:38 PM
Long Beach
Joined Jan 2004
1,421 Posts
WOW...your a maniac Ray!
Henry V is offline Find More Posts by Henry V
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:03 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
Ray, The cloth is paid for and you should get it the middle of next week. gv
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:33 PM
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Ray, The cloth is paid for and you should get it the middle of next week. gv

Funsville. I am doing as much work as I can through tonight, as I have military duty this weekend, starting on Friday night through Sunday night, so I wont be able get any work done till Tue next week. The bulk of your stuff is done, I seamed two last night and will try and get two more bottoms seamed tonight.
Thanks again.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:51 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
I have my last contest (actually my ONLY thermal event of the year) this weekend in Dallas. I've had pretty good luck in RES finishing third the last 2 years. Hopefully I can get my first LSF Level 5 win this weekend.

I have done OK in unlimited. I was 8th overall 2 years ago with close to 50 people, but last year I was 14 on Saturday and I DNF'd on Sunday because I wasn't flying well and decided not to finish the day. Maybe this year will be better. At least we aren't going to have tornado watches this weekend like the past 2.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:20 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
Ray, que esta la carne on the E-6 Intruder? I gotta have one of those too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:06 PM
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Ray, que esta la carne on the E-6 Intruder? I gotta have one of those too.
I have already put in an order with Merrill at M and M glider Tech for two, matter of fact, one for you and one for Nauga.
So you are already in. Just at Merrills mercy now.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:48 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,839 Posts
Kool. I thought you were working on getting the rights to buy the molds? gv
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:35 PM
Check the Bloq
Joined May 2002
1,494 Posts
ok George and Jack, 1st of the Spits now under way, update tomorrow after I pop it out.