HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2006, 06:19 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Build Log
BCP/HBcp2 (Micro heli) AH-64 Apache build

Well, Im undertaking another project. Basically I really dont have the time to do it but the bug bit me. Vac forming is/gettin monotinous. After a while you tend to get a little burned out. Sometimes I bite off more than I can chew. Dealers are on edge but really Im trying to keep up . So to break the monotiny, Im working into my production schedule some R & D. The AH-64 is taking shape. One thing for sure Im glad I have the T-rex Apache to go off of and not just photos. Im going to opt to do some panel lines but the rivets are out of the question. It should be pretty nice once its completed. Due to my production schedule this may take a little while. Gotta try to keep everyone happy. Trying to keep it Flyer first, modeler second, manufacturer third, but in reality its basically completely backwards. I'll be keeping the interested parties informed here.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Last edited by darthdrk; Oct 19, 2006 at 03:33 PM. Reason: change to a build thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2006, 07:15 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
Awesome, can't wait!!

Rivets are easy with some white glue and a good tip!

Keep us posted...

-Roman
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8
Old Oct 03, 2006, 08:38 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,156 Posts
I am pro-rivets also...

And with a decent price point I'd probably buy one or even pay to volunteer to test it :-)

Ps. It would have to fit a HB Cp2
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Last edited by elan; Oct 03, 2006 at 08:41 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Oct 03, 2006, 08:45 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I cant really see a way of doing rivets that small and so many. Remember these are handmade molds, not CNC. Mabey something will present itself to get the rivets detail accomplished. Besides that, all the coffee I drink may not allow for a steady straight line of rivets
Basically all the major parts are cut out, next the tedious job of shaping and sanding.
Old Oct 03, 2006, 10:11 PM
O'n'A Party Rock!
Joined Jun 2006
180 Posts
Rivits are too "busy" and usually hard to make scale at that size, let people add them themselves if they want, IMO.....
Ffejtech is offline Find More Posts by Ffejtech
Old Oct 03, 2006, 10:49 PM
Aberdeen,Scotland, UK
Joined Jun 2005
1,309 Posts
I'll put my name down for pre order on one if it fits a 3D Pro hummingbird? .
McDanger is offline Find More Posts by McDanger
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:22 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Follow up: I getting there. This is turning out much better than I anticipated. Id say Im about 80% near being able to pull a prototype. Im forming the nose section. The main body is near finished, engine nacelles are near finished. I still have to make the weapons wing and the Horizontal stabilizer. Ill be using as a platform my HoneybeeCP2. I will be needing to bend some landing gear. So, in about a week I should be near completed and have pics at least of the prototype.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:05 AM
expert heli pilot wanabee
United States, CA, Los Banos
Joined Jul 2006
2,229 Posts
wow! can't wait keep us posted
siryan is offline Find More Posts by siryan
Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nthumb
Joined Sep 2002
127 Posts
Darth, it sounds awesome ... can't wait!!

I've got one of your Hughes 500's coming from Chris in Germany, but I can see this one following right on behind it!!

Keep us posted!

Jim
jimflint80 is offline Find More Posts by jimflint80
Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:42 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
BCP/HBCP2 Micro Heli AH-64 Apache Prototype #1

Heres some pics of the Apache Im working on
Also seen with a couple more gunslingers
Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:45 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Assembly: This will be a kit that is not for the faint hearted.
So Far the Apache fuselage is weighing in at 63 grams but I still have to mold the weapon wings and the horizontal stab.
I still have quite a ways to go to complete it
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:15 PM
Aberdeen,Scotland, UK
Joined Jun 2005
1,309 Posts
This is going near the top of my "Must Have" list,and i was doing so well with spending lately ,,,, do you know about things like boom lengths differences between a BCP and 3D Pro Darth? (me being lazy indeed),mind you,on the other hand,it probably wouldnt matter much as this would probably be a 12mm brushless tail motor job anyways.
McDanger is offline Find More Posts by McDanger
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:52 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Some more work done on the Apache Fuselage. I performed a minor operation: I seperated the nose section, a simple and painless operation. After cutting the nose section I glued tabs or a screw flange so that the fuselage halves could be brought back together and held together with small screws. This is for those who are concerned with access to the mechanics.
Also added the windshields. I can remove the windshields for painting and reinstall them so I dont get any paint on the clear plastic.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:01 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
More info: I plan on using the Hummingbird elite cp mainframe or the BCP/HoneybeeCP2. The plan is the tailboom on the mainframe will not be installed. A direct drive tail motor and rotor will be used up on the tailfin. If I use the tailrotor from the stock drive system, I would probably have to mod the tailrotor blades so that they will have enough spacing so it will not hit the horizontal stabilizer. So far its comming along nicely.
Another thing. Some parts will not get molded such as the weapon down riggers.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:21 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Ok, I need some community feedback. Im thinking of not making a molded horizontal stabilizer fin but adding a template to the apache kit to make the stabilizer. You may ask why...? Well its basically a weight saving move. I made the horizontal stab from a discarded meat package which adds virtually no weight to the tail. Also one can be made from balsa which will be lighter than one molded from plastic. The question is, what do you guys think ? If I use the foam horizontal stab, Id have to keep in mind when painting I would have to use a paint that is foam friendly. If I use Balsa, It wont matter. Its time for class participation.....