SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Short videos from Modesto Radio Control Club's 6th Annual Electric Fun Fly

A collection of one minute videos showing the most interesting planes and events flown at this years fun fly. This review is about the flying events and the planes. Check out the combat highlight videos and the new Hanger 9 Sopwith Camel.

Splash

Introduction

The Modesto Radio Control Electric Fun Fly officially started at 8:00 when all World War I planes were invited to take to the air and the sky was reserved for 14 minutes for planes from: The War to End all Wars! This first video features two Rough and Ready Aviation planes that were not ready to fly when that review was done earlier this year. Enjoy the Fokker D VII and the Albatros.

Downloads

The Great Planes S.E.5a had its review videos shot at the Fun Fly. Here are some extracts from those videos and the previously unseen final crash that damaged the plane. (Per the S.E.5a review it has been repaired and flown without further problems. Cause of crash remains a mystery.)

Downloads

A Sopwith Triplane patrols the Modesto Front but encounters no enemy planes on this routine patrol.

Downloads

The Spindoctor was flown during the 8:00 hour in the Open Flying portion of the hour (45 minutes out of every hour) and I wanted to share this unusual plane that has had a long life and was first flown with gas power but is now a sweet electric.

Downloads

At 9:00 the sky was reserved for planes from World War II. The last four years the sky was filled with planes from the World War II era. This year the most interesting plane was Ed Holt's modified Great Planes Corsair.

Downloads

Aerotowing has become very big in our club as mentioned in the review of the Multiplex Easy Glider Radio Ready version as posted in Liftzone. check out that review for more aerotows including tandem tows of EZ gliders.

Downloads

10:00 GWS Slow Stick Combat! This is an annual event at our Fun Fly. A couple of years ago we even had Mr. Lin and Ray from GWS visit our Fun Fly to see the combat in person. Here is the highlight reel from the 06 combat.

Downloads

After the Combat was over I saw a Beaver on floats (no wheels) take-off from our dirt runway. I was so surprised I didn't capture the take-off on tape but here is some footage of it flying. It has been re-powered with a new GWS brushless out-runner motor.

Downloads

11:00 Great Planes Fun Force Combat planes took to the skies at 11:00. Here is the highlight reel.

Downloads

At noon we had a mass flight of most of the World War I planes present. Here is some of the video of those flights.

Downloads

Perhaps the most interesting plane at this year's fun fly was the new Hanger 9, Sopwith Camel that did its first flight at our Fun Fly. It waited until the afternoon to fly.

Downloads

Conclusion

The Modesto Electric Fun Fly has been a nice event for 6 years running. We had a raffle, a limbo event and an All Up last Down event as usual but there wasn't any destruction with the limbo this year so it wasn't as exciting as usual. It wasn't until I started putting together the videos that I realized just how WWI heavy we were this year. Next year it will probably swing back the other way to WWII. Hopefully in 2007 we will not have another Electric Fun Fly the same day about 65 miles away. We will work with them to make sure they aren't on the same day. We hope you enjoyed this small taste of our Fun Fly.

Last edited by AMCross; Nov 22, 2006 at 11:39 AM..

Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2006, 09:21 PM
Mountain View, CA
Joined Sep 2000
112 Posts
Thanks for posting these, Mike. And thanks again to all the Modesto club members for their work in putting on this fly in.

I don't take videos myself, but it is sure nice to have these of my Spindoctor and Sopwith Tripe.

Dick
D Oglesbee is offline Find More Posts by D Oglesbee
Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:15 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Mike,

I really enjoyed all the videos, especially the Spin Doctor!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:00 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Dick I always enjoy your company and enjoy watching you fly. Thanks for the knid words Ronnie. It was fun to share the videos of some of the planes that flew at our Fun Fly this year. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:59 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
It's a shame that I don't have time to see this Fun Fly.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO