HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:55 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
Where to buy paint masks/templates and decals?

The subject is a 35" wingspan plan built Spitfire Mk VIII. I've looked and am unable to find a commercial source for either. Any ideas? I have cut my own templates before....the results were less than stellar.

Jeff
JWC is offline Find More Posts by JWC
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:27 PM
Crossville,TN 38555
Joined Apr 2001
29 Posts
decals

Tower Hobbies carries Major Decals. Take a look at http://www2.towerhobbies.com/CGI-BIN...gm?c=QAE&V=MAJ

Their ".40 Size" may be about what you need.

John
John Blankenship is offline Find More Posts by John Blankenship
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:34 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts

This was done scanning a set of Aeromaster decals, converting to .emf format and scaling them up. (42" span). The paint job was done with a mask, cut out from a scaled up drawing, attached to the surface with roll of tape to keep it off the surface and airbrushed using Model Masters RAF colors.

dd.
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:53 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,893 Posts
Any better art supply store will have friskett paper, which is an adhesive backed paper made esp. for masking shapes. It is available in high and low tack versions - I use the high version. It's made for airbrush use but could also be used with spray can paint. After you cut and fit it onto the model, burnish the edge down to prevent paint bleed under it.
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Aug 22, 2002, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Actually, you want some paint to 'bleed' under it. The use of mats in painting the real planes at the factory resulted a slightly blurred or feathered edge. Masking tightly to the surface will give too crisp an edge.

I emulated this by rolling up masking tape and using the rolled up piece to hold the mask in place about 1/8" off the surface. Obviously, care needs to be taken when spraying, airbrush or can, that you do not spray at a joint. Spray down on it or across and away from it but never directly at it as too much paint will go underneath.

dd.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:45 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,961 Posts
Originally posted by Doc Data
Actually, you want some paint to 'bleed' under it. The use of mats in painting the real planes at the factory resulted a slightly blurred or feathered edge. Masking tightly to the surface will give too crisp an edge.

1. There's a difference between a "bleed" and a properly feathered edge, such as you'd get with a blanket mask.

2. While camouflage was painted with blanket masks, national insignia and unit markings were almost always masked with tape and masking paper, so that they'd have a hard edge. I have lots of photos of insignia being painted on WWII aircraft - on the production floor, on carrier hangar decks and in the field - and I can't think of any in which they DIDN'T mask with tape or at the very least use a hard-edged stencil.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:29 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
consensus?

Is the general concensus to find a suitable picture of the camouflage pattern and simply trace it by hand? I would prefer to buy a 1/12 scale mask, due to my artistic side being a little.........underdeveloped. Last time I tried that, it looked like this........(God forgive me).

Jeff
Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:44 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
By the way Doc, I forgot to mention how impressed I am with the quality of your Spitty! If I could do that with mine, I'd show 'em off more. As it is, you're looking at my best camouflage attempt. Most of the time, I just cover things red.

Jeff
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:43 PM
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Jim Ryan,
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring only to the camo paint when talking about feathered edges. All insignia where masked with tape (or occasionally free handed with a brush).

JWC,
Thanks. However, the plane ended up looking not so good...
http://www.mustangone.com/MySailPlanes/SpitWreck2.jpg

dd.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:53 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
Oh man Doc! That made me a little sick! Hopefully you've recovered from your loss. I'm considering attempting the Jim Ryan fiberglass technique, to see if my mishaps can be less demanding......structurally!

Jeff
Old Aug 25, 2002, 05:59 AM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
I found some roundells online, Yeah! There are also markings for Canada, Italy, USA (of course) Germany and a P-40. Here's the link.

Jeff

http://www.scalecombat.com/sections/...p/workshop.asp
Old Aug 25, 2002, 06:16 AM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
The only thing I haven't found so far is someone to come over and spray my spitty for me. Covering is half on, I'll finish up tomorrow and take it out for a maiden. I'm not about to paint an unproven model. The roundells are simply printed out and sprayed on with 3M77.

Jeff
Old Aug 25, 2002, 08:28 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
Thanks for the link on the insignias Jeff!!
You just saved me a lot of trouble searching for some for my Scratch Built 109.
The Jagdeschwader 1 marking was exactly what I was looking for.

Bryan
RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
Old Aug 25, 2002, 10:03 PM
JWC
Still learning.....
Kodiak, Alaska
Joined Sep 2001
430 Posts
Glad I could help Brian! Maybe to pay me back, you can come over and spray my Spitty for me. Wait a minute....If the wind dies, the maiden flight is tonight. You might want to hold off and wait for the carnage..I mean flight report!

Jeff
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:28 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,961 Posts
Originally posted by JWC
Oh man Doc! That made me a little sick! Hopefully you've recovered from your loss.

Ouch. No kidding. What a shame to crunch such a great looking plane and finish.

I'm considering attempting the Jim Ryan fiberglass technique, to see if my mishaps can be less demanding......structurally!

Jeff, let me make it clear that the glassing technique outlined on my website is NOT going to make the airframe significantly stronger in terms of crash resistance. Glassing will make it a little stiffer torsionally and flexurally, and it'll create a slightly harder shell so it doesn't suffer so much from hangar rash. But the purpose of glassing an airframe is that the filled glass cloth makes a nice smooth paintable surface. If you expect more, you may be disappointed.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan