HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2001, 02:23 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,405 Posts
It sparks because the voltage difference is enough that the electricity arcs from the brush to the commutator.

Its always a good idea to break in new motors, but it doesn't really make a big difference for a lot of them. Chances are that you would still get sparking even if you had broken the motor in.

The sparking is common and unavoidable in some situations, but can be minimized by proper motor timing. I don't have a lot of experience with the Master Airscrew unit, but my guess is that it is normal for it to spark at full throttle. Maybe someone else will chime in and give different advice.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2001, 02:26 PM
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
803 Posts
Mine do the same as well. Unfortunately, the timing isn't adjustable on these motors.
SheldonYoung is offline Find More Posts by SheldonYoung
Old Jun 27, 2001, 02:29 PM
wyoming, mi usa
Joined Dec 2000
1,449 Posts
Thanks!

I talked to MAS and they said I could break the motor in running it for 30 minutes to get the brushes to seat,

I conneced to d cells and removed the prop. Let it go at it for 30 minutes and it is much less noticeable.

Thanks for helping me understand.
rtideas is offline Find More Posts by rtideas
Old Jun 27, 2001, 03:14 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
The collapsing flux field (magnetic field) on the stator coil as the brush passes the comutator pad and disconnects that coil, causes an increase in voltage that resists the field collapse. The momentary spike in voltage is sufficient to cause an arc back to the passing brush. I'll let others tell you how to control it and the interference it causes.

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Jun 27, 2001, 04:54 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,802 Posts
Very nicely said Gary.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 27, 2001, 06:31 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Warner:
The collapsing flux field (magnetic field) on the stator coil as the brush passes the comutator ...
--
Except that these permanent magnet brush-type motors do not have a stator coil. The stator would be the 'stationary' coil as for example in a wound field type motor. The permanent magnets in our motors provide the stationary field. You are of course referring to the 'rotor', or 'armature' coil.

A brushless motor however would properly be said to have a stator.

By the way, I found this nice little web page giving useful terminology and motor info for e-power newbies that you all might find interesting: http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~tyounger/hafh/rc/motorguts.html

[This message has been edited by Gerald (edited 06-27-2001).]
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Jun 28, 2001, 12:33 AM
wyoming, mi usa
Joined Dec 2000
1,449 Posts
What causes motor brushes to spark?

I have a new MAS electric flight pack. It's a 550 motor w/ a 3:1 reduction drive.

At full throttle, the brushes are sparking.

Do these motors need to be broke in?

How muxh damage does sparking do?

Thanks,

rt
rtideas is offline Find More Posts by rtideas