SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:19 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
Discussion
October 2006

Hey Gang! Let's all turn over a new leaf, let bygones be bygones, and start a new month of fun flying.

Chuck ordered the 6 Slipso 400 Club Racers short kits.

Rick has a whole hobby shop full of kits and equipment.

It's noticeably cooler.

Slope season is nearly upon us.

Breathe in, breathe out. Life is Good.

Ok, that's ***all*** my excess enthusiasm released at one time for the entire month - I Promise! Let's all go flying!
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2006, 09:30 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
Lesson number one Wind is needed for a sloper.

Have you seen Tram's build-review of the Gunderson Aerodesign's S-1 Canard Slope Glider Laser Cut Kit? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540380

Yesterday I saw this beautiful plane in Cousin Dave's SUV/hanger awaiting extensive slope testing. Just today I accidentally ran into Tram's Article.

We have a celebrity builder/reviewer in (nearby) our midst! And a celebrity tester to boot!

I noted an important lesson buried in the article: "Lesson number one wind is needed for a sloper."
Old Oct 01, 2006, 06:59 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,837 Posts
Close call this evening...

This morning I put together a cam mount to replace my old "setscrew" one. I was too anxious to give it a try before days end. I had not flown the old AP Stick in quite awhile, and took for granted all was well with it. I strapped the mount on and headed out to give it a try. The wind was blowing about "I better not do this" knots per hour. I took off and noticed it was flying really bad, even considering the wind. After I landed I found the problem. I was lucky to have got it down and still be able to carry it away in one hand! Note to self: maybe I need to start preflights again
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Oct 02, 2006, 05:36 AM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Jim,
I'll add a few more slope lessons.
#2 - A giant slope/cliff is needed.
#3 - The wind needs to strike the slope perpendicular to the cliff's face
#4 - The launch zone should be free of trees which would impede the launch or pilots vision during flight.
#5 - The best flying sites will have a clearing at the top for landing.
#6 - Grassy slopes are better then rocky slopes for landing.

Its all fun. Locally our slopes are rocky, and the landing approaches are filled with wicked rolling rotors. For that reason, most of us fly foam airplanes. This S-1, being balsa, will require some tender loving care during flight tests landings, due to our abuntant rock supply. Talking to Todd Sunday, Todd reminded me that a trip to Nashville might be in order to take advantage of their grass slope in a NNW wind. Also, theres a dam only 1 hour north of here (Tulllahoma) with a grass slope as well (SSW winds). . So there are options.

The S-1 is a beautiful airplane and Tram did a fine job of building it. I'm really looking forward to getting the flight testing started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet
Have you seen Tram's build-review of the Gunderson Aerodesign's S-1 Canard Slope Glider Laser Cut Kit? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540380

Yesterday I saw this beautiful plane in Cousin Dave's SUV/hanger awaiting extensive slope testing. Just today I accidentally ran into Tram's Article.

We have a celebrity builder/reviewer in (nearby) our midst! And a celebrity tester to boot!

I noted an important lesson buried in the article: "Lesson number one wind is needed for a sloper."
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
Old Oct 02, 2006, 11:15 AM
Wnd was blowin time stood stil
Atlanta GA
Joined Oct 2004
476 Posts
A little warning about Dams. My brother was trying to fly at one and got a good talking to from the security guards and told never to come back. Something about terrorist acts, looking suspecious with his RC plane, etc. All depends on the people working I guess.
wheatfly is offline Find More Posts by wheatfly
Old Oct 02, 2006, 12:23 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Regarding the Dams, if its not posted, then its pretty much fair territory to fly. If they tell you to get off, then off I go. After 911, the dam in Nashville was closed to rc sloping for about 2-3 years. Then they finally reopened it realizing the folly of their decision. Funny thing, that very same dam has truck traffic driving over it. The slopers who flew there, thought the only way to really protect that dam would be to close vehicular traffic, as most terrorist use trucks and cars to deliver their special payloads.

Last I heard, that dam is now open for business, RC wise.
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
Old Oct 02, 2006, 09:55 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Yeh, I would think dams and r/c birds may not look to good..

I usually fly low (legally) in our RV down the rivers and usually pop up to 1,500 or 2,000 agl over dams...
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 03, 2006, 09:57 AM
Wnd was blowin time stood stil
Atlanta GA
Joined Oct 2004
476 Posts
Tram you might be interested in this you could fly in. Everyone else too.

I have gone to the event in the past and had a lot of fun, it's pretty laid back. Missed last years but only a small hand full of electrics when I went the year before but there could be more this year? Really nice area. I will be there this year but probably not flying anything.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429512

It is probably about an hour and 45 minute drive from huntsville (maybe a little less).
wheatfly is offline Find More Posts by wheatfly
Old Oct 03, 2006, 08:41 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
That's nuts, that is my brother in law's grandfather's airplane, and the one I got my tail dragger endorsement in.
Old Oct 03, 2006, 09:23 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,424 Posts
Which plane are you talking about Tram?
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2006, 09:26 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
The first plane in the post that wheatfly posted..
Old Oct 04, 2006, 07:00 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
Results of some research and observations at RCRC

I got an electronic copy of HSV Resolution 95-112 which is mentioned on several signs there. 25 year lease details between HSV City and RCRC. Good bed time reading. Nothing all that exciting. "Explains" why no vendors are ever allowed there. PM me your email address if you want it. It's a sizeable scanned document PDF.

About 185 RCRC paying members, with about 40 hard-core flyers. Most gas, but a few electric.

No organized "email" like we have here or as NASF does.

Flying Rules printed out and in a bin that I've yet to see. Talk of adding them to the RCRC website.

Often a lot more chatting goes on in the wonderful covered pits than flying occurs.

Serious chain link fencing between the pilots, planes, and the spectators. Hard rules against flying over the tennis facility and the flight line. Eliminates more than half the sky, so IMHO, must consider wind direction before going there to fly.

No winch or other facilities for gliders.

Since I've heard the dues are prorated somehow towards the end of the year, I ought just join and find out more from the other side of the chain link fence
Old Oct 07, 2006, 08:20 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
Discovered "Big Field!"

I had a glorious 35 minute thru-dawn flight today at an 40-acre field just 3 blocks from my home! I'm calling it Big Field!

Near-calm. Super-heavy dew - glad for my hunting boots! Barking dogs, "Go back to sleep!" Birds waking up, chirping, and flying across the field.

Launching pre-dawn is not a real smart move. Tough to see and to orient even the ES under those conditions. The world is black and white then. Then as the sun peeps up, things get red and very glarey. Then eventually it's just plain bright, and I wished for my sunglasses! Certainly an experience!

Thanks Cousin Dave for the rudder extension suggestion (Got Rudder!) and for showing me how to fly my ES very slowly at partial throttle, like a glider that does not sink unless you turn too hard. Charging, I put back in 1160 mAh into the 3S 1650 mAh pack, so likely I could fly at least 45 minutes at that slow speed. Looking forward to the end of daylight savings time at the end of October for more daylight time before work.

During the seasons when the field is empty, this field might just work out for me instead of driving clear into town to fly. Why could I not "see" this field before, even after Ken F. mentioned flying it? Well Duh!

Hope everyone enjoys today's contests and/or the Brindley Mountain Fly-In. I've gotten in my flying for today! Will probably try it again tomorrow AM with my pocket digital timer set to 45 minutes!
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Oct 07, 2006 at 09:25 PM. Reason: left off the Well Duh!
Old Oct 07, 2006, 08:01 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,837 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...96&postcount=8

Just posted in GWS forum....thought I'd share it here to. Trick or Treat
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Oct 08, 2006, 09:19 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
(Relatively) Short Story of Good Luck

Flew Big Field at daybreak Sunday. Cool, crisp, calm.

Unexpected higher winds aloft immediately carried ES Up Up and Away!

Spent seemingly forever trying to get it back and down. Could fly back and forth, weathervaning, but could not make headway against the wind. ES gradually became a tiny spec that I could only tell what direction it was moving, left, right, up, down, not its shape or orientation. Spiraled it in to the subdivision below rather than fly it to Decatur!

Successful DX-6 range check completed. Control range way beyond my eyes!

Drove over to the subdivision, drove around some, and found it in the front yard of a house, sitting under a tree awaiting pickup! Good self-Landing!

Jim is unbelievably lucky!