HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:12 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Discussion
Wen Mac P-38 Lightning

Speaking of the "Good Ol day's"

A pic of my RTF 1959 Wen mac Twin 049 P-38 Lightning CL plane. I cleaned it up and display it. It went fast enought to make you dizzy as heck

so like 40 yrs latter I'm still........ flying the 52 in 5lb elecrtic twin P-38 Lightning with invasion stripes

Never grew up

Freddie
Coastwatcher is offline Find More Posts by Coastwatcher
Last edited by Coastwatcher; Dec 24, 2006 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:12 PM
Joined Jul 2006
273 Posts
Those engines on the Wen Mac are so clean, how did you get them so nice? I have a Wen-Mac Skylark, and it's a 1961 that I too would like to clean up to display nicely. Nice job!

NorfolkSouthern
NorfolkSouthern is offline Find More Posts by NorfolkSouthern
Old Oct 03, 2006, 09:35 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
You can take the engine out disassemble it and soak it in some fuel or solvent . Or watch eBay for NOS engines or parts to make your plane look new. Sometimes buying a NOS engine or engine parts is better in the long run if you are going to keep it for your enjoyment. Takes alot of devotion and elbow grease to get that ancient fuel residue off .

Patience and determination should be in good supply.
There are also people on eBay that sell reproduction stickers.

Here is a 1960 K&B P-47 Chrome plated version.........engine K&B (.060) is still stuck , fueled but not flown, but I carefully detail and removee the fuel residue. Made a nice plane to display. I thought better of trying to handle it alot . Warm soapy water , toothbrush and patience will do alot for these old planes. Probally best to leave the motor stuck .
Last edited by Coastwatcher; Dec 24, 2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2006, 02:57 PM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
That Wen Mac P-38 is a beaut!
Mark Gund is offline Find More Posts by Mark Gund
Old Nov 01, 2006, 05:14 PM
Joined Jul 2006
273 Posts
I just had to test the engine on my Skylark. So I attached the igniter to the glow plug, primed it, and it started right up on the second crank and ran completely through the prime. So now, I have a complete plane with a reliable engine. All I need to do is install the fuel tubing, and then get a control rod that goes from the bell crank to the elevator and I'm set. How much would a plane like mine be worth if the engine is operational?

NorfolkSouthern
NorfolkSouthern is offline Find More Posts by NorfolkSouthern
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:30 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
Sorry for the late reply..... I post alot of diff areas.

The Skylark is not in terrible demand with the collectors. The WWII warbirds in Wen Mac, Cox , or Aurora are all desirable. and usually bring the most attention and $ for vintage CL planes.

The P-38 Wen Mac or the Testors version are VERY expensive planes if you have to buy them from someone who knows the worth. Planes that have NEVER been fuled or started bring considerably more $ .

Here is another P-38 I restored , it is from about 1963 , minor changes from the 59 model such as the white props.

Merry Christmas ,
Fred
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:59 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,485 Posts
All magnificent. Real works of art and treasure's. P47---soooooo shiny.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:34 PM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
700 Posts
Love those P-38s. I watched this one on Ebay Oz recently, purportedly a Mercury Models offering?

It sold for $A150 or about $US120 and had two OS PET 099s for motivation.

Merry Christmas guys, santa's been and gone in this part of the world.
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Last edited by McGiver; Dec 24, 2006 at 10:35 PM. Reason: typos grrrr
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:55 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
McGiver,

Not familar with that Mercury Model name. But I LIKE IT!!! COOL!!!

Here is a pic of my latest vintage CL addition .........a 1968 Cox Spitfire in light green scheme . It came with the .049 engine. It is 100% original and unflown.

Got to get in bed 11:54Pm and Santa is on the way hopefully with a ME109 VQ kit. I cheated and looked ...........coal for me...
Old Apr 08, 2007, 02:12 PM
Emerald Isle , NC
Joined May 2006
1,329 Posts
more old U control

Recent addition to the UC vintage hanger.

A unflown Cox spitfire ( unusual) 1970 from New Zealand . These were SOLID FOREST GREEN , no camo and had different color roundels on it than the USA sold products. Still used the COx 049 . Rare RTF.

FP
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:57 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1 Posts
How to fly?

I just got one of this Wen-Mac in a state auction, how do you fly this thingys?
hgvergara is offline Find More Posts by hgvergara
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:14 PM
Salisbury N.C.
Joined Apr 2008
277 Posts
Wow

Coastwatcher, I salute you for saving a very important part of out C/L history. I wish I lived a little closer and could come over to admire your awesome collection. Have you aquired any more beautiful birds lately. If you need someone to leave these to in your will I would gratefully accept! LOL Just kidding! Are you a member of any local C/L clubs? I'm with the Metrolina Control Line Society in Huntersville.
Rodl is offline Find More Posts by Rodl
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:20 PM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastwatcher View Post
Speaking of the "Good Ol day's"

A pic of my RTF 1959 Wen mac Twin 049 P-38 Lightning CL plane. I cleaned it up and display it. It went fast enought to make you dizzy as heck

so like 40 yrs latter I'm still........ flying the 52 in 5lb elecrtic twin P-38 Lightning with invasion stripes

Never grew up

Freddie

My Wen-Mac P-38 was the same color as yours. But, I don't remember the color of the props. I flew mine mostly on the inside engine because I couldn't afford the fuel to feed both engines. It was quick with both engines though, and it flew well enough on shortened lines with just one engine.

Ed Cregger, NM2K, Artisan
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:23 AM
Double Naught Spy
USA, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
Freddie,
Are you still around?
I like the Aurora Se5a that is peeking out from under the P-38 in the first posts photo!
I also see an Aurora B-25 next to your Spitfire (which even has an intact antennae! Sweet!)
Nice planes all! Here is a shot of my Aurora Fokker D-VII that I hugely regret selling a few months ago. Although I did get some big bucks for it!
iamplanecrazy2 is offline Find More Posts by iamplanecrazy2
Last edited by iamplanecrazy2; Dec 19, 2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: error
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:41 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
913 Posts
Still around?

iamplanecrazy,

Looks like the last time coastwatcher log on was back in September.
I would like to see the rest of his collection too.
You should try to e-mail him or PM him.

Daniel
dlazarus6660 is online now Find More Posts by dlazarus6660