SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:45 AM
Zzzzooooooommmmmm!!
Inyokern,CA
Joined Mar 2005
310 Posts
Question
What are the symptoms that occur when the BEC is overloaded

I have an older PH25 in a plane that has crashed twice the same strange way. I suspect the receiver but this question came to mind. On a down leg turn, all of the servos moved to full deflection, the engine quit and the plane tumbled out of the sky. Cycling power (unplugging and re-plugging in the battery) and everything came back as if nothing happens. It did this at the same place in oval flight for both times. I have heard about BEC overload but don't know what symptoms lead to that conclusion. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
mp
mpcrash is offline Find More Posts by mpcrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:05 AM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
Normally your control surfaces will shut down for approximately 1/20th of a second. If a servo stalls/binds/etc though it can lock up completely. To test if it's the BEC, unplug your motor, turn on your transmitter, plug in your battery pack, and exercise all servos simultaneously for 20 seconds. If you see the servos stop, you have your answer. If not, it's the rx.
Joe Ford is online now Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:11 AM
Zzzzooooooommmmmm!!
Inyokern,CA
Joined Mar 2005
310 Posts
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old Oct 03, 2006, 04:50 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,448 Posts
You definately have the symptoms of a BEC overload (plane crashing!).

Seriously though, I had this happen to me and it turned out to be a faulty receiver crystal. It would bench test fine, but fail a few minutes into the flight. The control surfaces would go hard over and it would do the spiral of death. Luckily I found the problem before I lost the plane for good.

Good luck,
Greg
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 03, 2006, 09:10 PM
Zzzzooooooommmmmm!!
Inyokern,CA
Joined Mar 2005
310 Posts
Well, I don't have enough planes to test the crystal. Already lost two Mini Funtana's to this thing. The first one only needed one click of trim and flew uncharacteristically well. Landed smooth. Probably why it crashed on third flight. I thought it was antenna routing since I ran it along the servo wires. When the second went down, well it is just sad. I will mention this in the repair request for JR. Mp
Old Oct 03, 2006, 10:19 PM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
So I take it you tested the BEC and it was not the cause?
Old Oct 03, 2006, 10:57 PM
Zzzzooooooommmmmm!!
Inyokern,CA
Joined Mar 2005
310 Posts
have not had the time to get to it. I am preparing my house for a move. I will test it soon. Since I don't want to pack up a broken plane with a mystery on board. I just received a replacement plane to move the equipment to so I will have to get to it in the coming week.

will keep the thread open until at least it gets tested. Thanks for checking up on this.

mike
Old Oct 03, 2006, 11:06 PM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
My pleasure...fellow r/c junkie first and foremost.