Closed Thread
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:09 AM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Gallery
1 October 2006 around the world in RC AP

Hi all,

Having seen a reasonable number of "I'm in" responses to the proposal to cointinue doing quarterly "Around the world in RC AP's", I'm now opening the thread to post the pictures do. So no discussions or comments in this thread please.

Just like the previous time:
* Up to 6 pics per entry.
* Pics must have been taken from an RC model aircraft
* Pics must have been taken and in the period 1 to 4 October 2006.
* Please add
== date,
== location (including GPS coordinates if available),
== model, and
== camera.

Good luck to all who want to participate. Pictures do not have to be stunning. Please don't take any undue risks. If the weather is too bad, don't risk expensive gear. In fact, I think I'll allow a "RC A{" picture from the poor weather, taken while holding the model in the hand if that avoids going out and risking the model. Remember this is for fun, not competition.

Arthur P.
http://www.perspektivo.nl/aerfoto/
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Last edited by Arthur P.; Dec 24, 2006 at 03:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2006, 02:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
Looks like I will be the first one then unless somebody else is typing theirs at the moment:-

Date: Sunday 1st October 2006
Location: North of Alderley Edge Village, Cheshire, UK. 53.310N 2.226W
Model: Modified Easystar with BP21 brushless and FMA co-pilot
Camera: Konica Minolta X50, Sports Program

It was a bit windy, and gusty, but clear sky at the time with some fluffy clouds (it rained later). The EZ* was getting pushed about alot when traversing, motor off, across the wind resulting in many blurred photos. Others had a lot of flare due to the low angle of the sun in the sky. The Autumn colours have yet to fully arrive in this part of the world. Everything is still green.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Oct 01, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Alas, beat to it by the Brits ;=) Actually, I was lucky to get up at all. We had rain and thunderstorms throughout much of the day, with just short sunny spots in between, and gusting winds from 10 to 25kmh with the occasional gusts going over 30kmh at ground level. And up at moderate altitude windspeeds were significantly higher with the EZ* being pushed backwards at half throttle.

Despite the moderate weather I managed to get in three short testflights with EasyStar Nr2 (ES2). First flight was very short as it was a bit tail heavy, but the 2nd and 3rd flights were OK. Of course this was just the 2nd time with ES2. But the test had more to do with the radio gear. I bought myself a Spectrum DX6 when I was in the US last week and installed the accompanying receiver in EZ2. In view of the weather conditions I didn't test max. range, which purportedly is about 2000 feet or 600 to 700 meters, but I probably did reach distances of approx. 100 meters without the slightest twitch. Not even with the antenna pointed at the model, something I don't even have to try with my Futaba FX18.

Date: 1 October 2006 approx. 17:30
Model: EasyStar with Graupner 320 brushless outrunner and 8x6 prop on 2200mAh 11.1V LiPo
Camera: Konica Minolta X50
Radiogear: TX Spectrum DX6, RX Spectrum AR6000

Location 1: Spieringweg, Zwaanshoek, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Latitude: 52.31944
Longitude: 4.63700

Location 2: Deltaweg, Hoofddorp Sportdorp, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Latitude: 52.30596
Longitude: 4.63319
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:07 PM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Here's my first entry in to this thread.The wether was dead calm, clear and sunny. Perfect AP conditions.

DATE: 02/10/06,
MODEL: EZ*
CAMERA: Canon A540

Where can I find the GPS coordinates from?

GOK
GOK is offline Find More Posts by GOK
Last edited by GOK; Oct 01, 2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:10 PM
Port Orchard WA USA
Joined Jun 2005
41 Posts
Weather is clear but hazy. Was hoping for a shot of Mount Rainier, but it wasn't there today. The water and city looked good today though.

Date: Oct. 1, 2006, 4:30 pm pst
Model: SlowStick, eflite park 370 brushless, 10 cell nimh, 12x6 apc prop
Camera: Pentax Optio S5Z with Prism switch.

N47 29.267'
W122 31.268'

Resolution reduced for uploading
Summers is offline Find More Posts by Summers
Last edited by Summers; Oct 01, 2006 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Forgot location
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:34 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Now you see it, now you...

Went out for a shot at a SAM(Society of Antique Model) contest in Elk Grove, CA. When I got there, California Condor was there flying and he told me to grab my AP gear and we are going on a search and rescue mission. Someone had lost a Red and White(remember this part, it is important to the story) old timer and we are to look for it by AP.

With eye witness's information, we guestimate the down plane location and went airborne to get some photos. You know it is like find a needle in 60 acres of hay. Anyway long (yes, it was long aready) story short, after the second attemps, I saw a red and white image on my camera's monitor. I thought, Yes, we found it. After study the photos, we determined the approx location, we went head in to the corn field to retrieve the plane. After two hours of hard searching, nothing! Then I study the photos again, it seems the plane was in different locations in two different photos (remember, I was looking through the monitor of Optio S5i camera).

Then it dawned on me the plane image on my camera was California Condor's Slow stick flying under my plane!! We had two planes up to cover more area. We spent two hours looking for a plane that was not there!! Well we did not find the lost plane and found a plane that was not lost!!

And that is my Oct 1 story. See how pretty the corn field look in close up!!

Brian, an EAJ

Oops, forgot the essential part,
Date: Oct 1, 2006
Plane: SSOS (Slow Stick on Steroid)
Camera: Pentax Optio S5i
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Last edited by bhchan; Oct 02, 2006 at 01:16 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Oct 01, 2006, 09:14 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Richland, Michigan - Farms, Fields and Forests

date: 10/1/06
model: T-52 with a MagpieAP wing
camera: Nikon 7900

Today was a beautiful clear day in southwest Michigan. The fall color is just beginning.
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Last edited by wattsup_kz; Oct 01, 2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2006, 09:21 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,912 Posts
The rest of the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
Went out for a shot at a SAM(Society of Antique Model) contest in Elk Grove, CA. When I got there, California Condor was there flying and he told me to grab my AP gear and we are going on a search and rescue mission. Someone and lost a Red and White(remember this part, it is important to the story) old timer and we are to look for it by AP.

With eye witness's information, we guestimate the down plane location and went airborne to get some photos. You know it is like find a needle in 60 acres of hay. Anyway long (yes, it was long aready) story short, after the sencond attemps, I saw a red and white imgine on my camera's monitor. I thought, Yes, we found it. After study the photos, we determined the approx location, we went head in to the corn field to retrieve the plane. After two hours of hard searching, nothing. Then I study the photos again, it seems the plane was in different locations in two different photos (remember, I was looking through the monitor of Optio S5i camera).

Then it dawned on me the plane image on my camera we California Condor's Slow stick flying under my plane!! We had two planes up to cover more area. We spent two hours looking for a plane that was not there!! Well we did not find the lost plane and found a plane that was not lost!!

And that is my Oct 1 story. See hew pretty the corn field look in close up!!

Brian, an EAJ
Here is my submission along with "the rest opf the story"
== date: October 1 2006
== location: Elk Grove, California
== model: Slow Stick
== camera: Nikon 3700
== Description: This is the annual fall SAM 17 :Crash & Bash contest held at the Schmidt Ranch, Elk Grove, California.
Now for the rest of the story! The model (what was left of it) that we were looking for was found in a field in the opposite direction from the one that we were directed to. It seems our "eyewitness" must have been watching a bird and not the model!
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Oct 01, 2006, 09:33 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,263 Posts
Flying in the Round

Sorta - Pick a spot in the field and fly around yourself at Maxwell Middle School in Tucson, AZ... Lotsa of air-2-air pics below... Generally, the thing to do is to try not to fly over any pilot position... You'll notice most are sailplanes and DLG's so electrics especially try to keep away from them... The line winch launcher will cut you in half...

Take note of the SS about to be launched near the goal post near the top/right of the first pic... I'm standing at the goal post in the bottom/left... Normally, I fly from underneath the crossbar - today, I didn't, but I will not forget to stay under the bar from now on... Notice the SS in the last pic now closing in on my position, about 1 minute later it flew directly from in front of me and over my head - low... I heard the motor go full throttle and THUMP... I looked behind me and saw it in a wad with all the servos chattering and the motor still trying to go about 3 feet away... I moved about 5 feet away and it silenced... He was on ch48, and I'm on ch34... This is why AMA fields usually have pilot positions a certain distance apart and a flightline that every one is supposed to fly on the other side of and never over the pilot's line... Different channels can still have harmonics that can swamp another airplanes receiver if it's too close... This is what happened to this guy... He's 250-300 feet away flying directly over me at a 10' altitude - DUH!... Anywayzzzzzzzzz...

Shopping for a cyclist helmet,
Kevin

(I like bhchan's story best, unfortunate about the lost plane, but the SS at "different locations" was hilarious...)

Date: 10/01/2006
Aircraft: SS, HiMax HA2025-4466, TT 3S1P 2100, 12x6 APCe
Camera: Canon S80
wattnoise is offline Find More Posts by wattnoise
Last edited by wattnoise; Oct 02, 2006 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Don't know my left from my right apparently...
Old Oct 02, 2006, 01:18 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
date: 10-1-06
model, and camera: Slow Stick w/Magpie wing. Optio S4i
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Oct 02, 2006, 10:29 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,396 Posts
I could not get any pictures yesterday due to high winds, and we have high winds today and for the next 4 or 5 days. I took these photo's on the 30th just because of the forcast. So they are really not in the 1st to the 4th so just ignore them. I've tried to get in thes e "around the world" when I can. So here is my pics.
date,
== location - Rich Hill MO
Latitude: 38.09
Longitude: -94.36

== model, and - My home made Pagasus quailstick
== camera - Nikon 4200
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Last edited by quailbird; Oct 02, 2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2006, 12:21 PM
Studies the wind
United States, CA, Yountville
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
Sunset on the north coast

This showcase got me flying yesteerday so I could contribute here. Weather is closing in here so I had insufficient light. Three flights and 306 images later I have these four to show.

Plane: Franckenstein slowstick with co-pilot
Camera; Pentax S4
Date: 1 Oct., 2006
Description: Far west part of continent, Cape Mendocino, north coast of California, sun setting into cloud bank shutting off my light. Most pictures no good due to up or down pitch of plane. I must get a self-leveling mount for the camera!
ghoti is offline Find More Posts by ghoti
Old Oct 02, 2006, 12:25 PM
P J
30 miles east of Atlanta in a rural area.
Joined Jan 2006
29 Posts
First flight of scratch-built wing.

date:10/02/06
plane:scratch-built wing,41 oz rimfire 22m-1000
camera:Pentax optio 60
j rock is offline Find More Posts by j rock
Old Oct 02, 2006, 09:56 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
date:10/02/06
plane: MM Magpie AP
camera: Pentax optio s5z

Description: Soybean fields ready for harvest, Some corn fields have already come down. Brown colors...summer is over and fall is here.

(pictures taken at sunset)
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Oct 03, 2006, 08:16 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,302 Posts
Thought I might sneek in a couple like Qualbird, taken on 30th, as it has rained ever since. Time we had some Scottish highland scenery,not exactly "Bonnie Scotland", just where I live. The previously small village of Aviemore has been developing for the last 40 years (ski resort) and I was doing a progress shoot for builders on the northern edge of town (over 3000 population and it becomes a town). 30 miles south of Inverness in Strathspey. A "strath" is a broad valley, the River Spey carved it`s way to the sea from the surrounding hills eons ago.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Closed Thread