HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:56 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Discussion
Simple Tilt & Pan

Here is a quick and dirty Tilt & Pan I made in a big hurry using very little in the way of tools. Mostly a pocket knife and a push pin to start holes and a 1/16 drill in a pin vise. edit - and some sandpaper!

I was going to show it being assembled, but it was made for HS 50 servos and all I have lying around right now are HS 55's. The case is about 1/16th longer and even if I enlarge the square holes, the screw holes will be in the wrong place.

The flat piece holds the pan servo. The hole is off center and you put the servo in so that the servo arm is centered on the flat piece. I used the largest servo arms that fit.

Next the servo arm is screwed underneath the L shaped piece. When that's done the arm is placed on the pan servo and the arm is screwed to the pan servo. (That's what the little hole in the bottom of the L shaped piece is for.) Now the pan servo can swing the L shaped piece.

In the next step the tilt servo is mounted in it's hole on the L shaped piece. The longest two sided arm is placed on the tilt servo and I then made a balsa shim to fit the side of the camera to the servo arm and taped and tie wrapped the camera to the servo arm.

That's all there is to it. The tilt & pan worked fine. The only things you have to make sure of when you design something like this is, do you have room for the servo on the L shaped arm to swing around, and can you tilt without hitting anything.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:28 PM
United States, VA, Warrenton
Joined Apr 2001
1,148 Posts
Thanks very much, Pete!

~Dan
Ninjak2k is offline Find More Posts by Ninjak2k
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:09 AM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
So........

are you going to try it out and post a video?
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:58 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave
So........

are you going to try it out and post a video?
That was on my first video plane that I flew several years ago.

This video has a couple of landings taken from that glider:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543098

Even though had the tilt and pan, I didn't use it in flight. The first two entries on my blog have stills from the glider also.

Pete

Edit: All of the flights with the glider were very short and I never got to look at the screen of my camcorder. It was an old glider and we had some long flights going to very high altitudes in the past, but we started this in the winter and never got high enough to actually have the time to look around while we flew. The camera was mounted in a headwind without the tilt and pan in the Spring and then a GWS Tigermoth.

Now that I have the head tracking goggles It's time for a new tilt and pan. I have a Hitec digital servo that I reprogrammed for 180 travel and that will be the new pan servo. This time there will be a second L piece that will be the mount for the camera. I will try to keep it small, and use standoffs to raise it to pilot eye viewpoint.

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Sep 30, 2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:29 AM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
In the spirit of sharing, and helping people learn from my experiences and mistakes, I'll add my 2 pan and tilt mounts.

Here's my first attempt. Check out that crazy double ended servo!

Unfortunately, it had alot of 'backswing" and took up alot of cockpit real estate. Also, I was concerned with that much mass up high it would be apt to strip gears on the tilt servo on a hard landing. Another problem was securing the tilt servo to the pan servo. I used a large servo wheel for maximum surface area and used aggresive double sided tape. However, this type of mount would work well on uncased camera that have limited abilities to be mounted.
Here's rev 2..

I used an HS55 for pan, and a generic 4.4g servo for tilt. This one works great, and is a great match for the popular KX-131 cased camera. For a control horn, I removed one of the screws on the back of the camera, and used a piece of threaded rod for a control horn.
The aluminum I used is very thin and can be cut with heavy scissors. I made templates from cardstock to get the dimensions and hole placement correct, then transferred the data to the aluminum. If you work with metal, wear gloves and be careful, thin metal is very sharp. Be sure to round all edges and corners with a file. Most hardware stores carry small pieces you can buy if you don't have any other sources.

Here's some examples that were provided with my goggles from Kilrah..

rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:49 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,384 Posts
Boy! All of these are great! Adding this thread to my favorites so I can pull it up to make one later.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:47 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote from rob10000
In the spirit of sharing, and helping people learn from my experiences and mistakes, I'll add my 2 pan and tilt mounts.
End Quote

Thanks, the more ideas the better. I love the double ended servo. Nice solution! I have to make a new t & p for my Easy Star, which I hope to get flying by this weekend whether or not the tilt & pan is finished. For myself, I think I'll stick with wood and maybe make a set of plans to post.

A wooden t & p can be adapted to CF sheet or fiberglass PC board if someone feels they need more strength or durability.

Maybe a kit maker like Stevens Aero will pick up on the idea and laser cut us one. Or maybe Askeman AP will make a CF version.

Pete
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:38 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
I always thought P&T were bulky and too complicated for me to build. These ones are just right for me.
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Oct 01, 2006, 07:33 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Here's a look at the tilt and pan I made for my E Star. It's about ready to fly, needing only velcro to hold things in place and a mount for the T & P.

This is a bit more carefully made than my first one. I will probably have to mount it on standoffs to get the camera at the proper height to provide something like a pilot's eye view.

I am also planning to put this in Hobby Lobby's 1/7th Tigermoth. I think it would be very cool to look down past the wheel or out beyond the end of the wing, maybe look up to see the ground as I do a loop. Who knows?

I hope I don't get sea sick with the goggles on. (Whoops, pardon me, Head Mounted Displays or HMD's)

The bottom (pan) servo is the smallest Hitec digital and it has been programmed to swing 180.

Pete
Old Oct 03, 2006, 09:32 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Joined Feb 2005
821 Posts
What control?

I'm sorry for asking as it may have been stated somewhere else, BUT---how do you control the tilt and pan servos?
I have 1 or the other on my different planes setup, and I use the flap control to guide it, but if I have both what channel or control would be used?
Thanks C-YA RL
InspectorGadget is offline Find More Posts by InspectorGadget
Old Oct 03, 2006, 11:07 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget
I'm sorry for asking as it may have been stated somewhere else, BUT---how do you control the tilt and pan servos?
I have 1 or the other on my different planes setup, and I use the flap control to guide it, but if I have both what channel or control would be used?
Thanks C-YA RL
Here's what it's all about

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561016

My first T&P was used in a two channel glider and I used the left stick for tilt and pan. I made the new one for the head tracking goggles I just got.

They use channels 7 and 8 via the buddy box port to aim the camera where I look.

Pete
Old Oct 03, 2006, 12:47 PM
Joined Apr 2004
328 Posts
Which head tracking goggles did you get? Are there multiple options? I already have a goggle, and would mostly be looking for the gyro control, but the ones out of Switzerland are a bit on the expensive side.
Medve is offline Find More Posts by Medve
Old Oct 03, 2006, 03:16 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medve
Which head tracking goggles did you get? Are there multiple options? I already have a goggle, and would mostly be looking for the gyro control, but the ones out of Switzerland are a bit on the expensive side.
I have the Swiss one. As mentioned before I'm sixty-eight and I think in terms of "I can afford the money but I can't afford the time." I can't afford to wait for the price to come down. Wanna try it while I can still see well and fly well.

Pete
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Here's my 3rd pan and tilt setup.

Improving on my 2nd revision, I made this one a bit bigger to accomodate larger, more precise servos. This uses a HS-50 on tilt, and a HS-81 on pan. I also moved the tilt axis of the camera forward in relation to the pan axis, to let the assembly have a bit of a swing to the side when panned. This will allow me to tilt down and not see the edge of the cockpit.
Also, I switched from aluminum to lite-ply. The bare wood assembly weighs 2.5 grams.

rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10000
Here's my 3rd pan and tilt setup.

Improving on my 2nd revision, I made this one a bit bigger to accomodate larger, more precise servos. This uses a HS-50 on tilt, and a HS-81 on pan. I also moved the tilt axis of the camera forward in relation to the pan axis, to let the assembly have a bit of a swing to the side when panned. This will allow me to tilt down and not see the edge of the cockpit.
Also, I switched from aluminum to lite-ply. The bare wood assembly weighs 2.5 grams.
I have come to the same conclusion about moving the tilt axis forward. For some reason I have in my head the idea that a camera should swivel near it's focal plane. Maybe I got that from old information on setting up to shoot panoramas from a carefully leveled tripod back before we had computers to take care of joining edges for us.

In any case, all I have to do is remove the arm from my tilt servo, invert the servo and reinstall the arm.

My final decision on how to mount the T&P was to make a block of foam to set it at the desired height, narrow the base (it's full easy star width now) and rubberband it into place. I was planning to mount it on standoffs etc. but I need better access to the batteries.

I keep my RC gear in a friend's house and with luck I will get there and maybe even fly this weekend. If I get there I will edit this post and add some pictures to show the somewhat finalized version.

I hope to add something interesting soon.

Pete