HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Capt. Dave, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:07 AM
Hatboro Pa. USA
Joined Jan 2001
346 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Big Navy Drone Jet For Sale

This is a NAVY drone I am told. I got it from a friend who just didnt have the time. Now I am working 10 hours a day and dont have the time. It was made for glow but I can see this thing really coming to life as an electric. I think it is some sort of MIG. It is all foam and has aluminium spar in the wing and one running through the fuse from the nose to the tail. It runs right up to the very front so mounting a motor would not be a problem. Darn I wish I had the time to do this one up with a big fat brushless on 20+ cells and retracts. There is room for everything inside the plane as it is a monster. Lenthe is just a inch or so under 6 feet, span is 67 inches with a cord of 9 inches at the tip and 14 inches at the root. Sorry I cant ship this big boy but I will drive 1 hour in any direction from Hatboro Pa. that is just north of Phila. First 100.00 takes her home. Note: there are a couple of small breaks in the fuse and one hatch is broke all simple fixes and wont effect flight performance. More PICS on request
Thanks for looking
Capt. Dave
Capt. Dave is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Dave
Last edited by Capt. Dave; Aug 21, 2002 at 10:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2002, 01:34 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,328 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
These were aerial target drones, the Army used them for target practice. They were/are? made by Carl Goldberg Models. I'd be interested to see how heavy they are before thinking about an e-conversion though.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Aug 21, 2002, 01:43 PM
oex
Norco,CA
Joined Sep 2001
59 Posts
I have one of these kits.
They were sold as a Mig Flogger kit in the late 80's.
Instructions called for a KB 61.

Bill
oex is offline Find More Posts by oex
Old Aug 21, 2002, 02:43 PM
New Castle, IN
Joined Sep 2001
83 Posts
I saw one fly as a glow model last night at the AMA field in Muncie. Looked cool in flight, but the guy had not covered/painted it and it was just a big grey blob up close. It flew well, but I didn't ask him any questions about the engine he was using or anything.
jdpowell22 is offline Find More Posts by jdpowell22
Old Aug 21, 2002, 05:25 PM
Hatboro Pa. USA
Joined Jan 2001
346 Posts
Well, I see the info is coming in. Dave C. I would have to guess that is is already 4 pounds od foam and alum as pictured. That is why I say a big fat brushless on about 20 cells and retracts. I bet it could be made to fly real nice and come in under 10 pounds easy. If you make a bungee launch better yet. If it doesnt sell I may just have to do it.
Thanks guys for the info keep it coming. And any time someone want to buy it let me know.
Capt. Dave
Capt. Dave is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Dave
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:26 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
The navy shoots at rc planes??? COOL Im gonna get the "blown up" radios
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:51 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Imagine that! Flying a plane to INTENTIONALLY destroy it! I'm very qualified, w/lots of experience for that job (I had a bad weekend)!
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:17 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,123 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
Actually, so do the Marines. We had one Marine at our flying field who did something at the gunnery range where they shot at these. They had boxes and boxes of them, all basically ready to fly with radios, K&B .65 Sportster and duct tape hinges.

Once gunnery practice was over they left the models on the range for the demolition experts to clean out (due to the danger of unexploded rounds, etc.). The funny part was that the guys they had flying them had never flown an R/C model before. Talk about on the job training!

Needless to say they crashed more than they shot down. The bullets were so hot that they would melt right through the foam. The models would only crash if they hit the radio or engine.

This same Marine brought one out to the flying field one Saturday for us to fly. Weird Mil Spec radio, but even considering the duct tape hinges were not sticking too well to the foam wing and balsa control surfaces, it still flew pretty well. The Sportster gave it plenty of oompf, though it was a little strange hand launching a model this big.

Good luck with your sale. Too bad I don't live closer.

Daren
p.s. These are actually manufactured by Carl Goldberg Models.
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Last edited by Daren; Aug 21, 2002 at 09:22 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 04:30 PM
Notorious Battery Abuser
United States, MA, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2002
311 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
now imagine that. Getting PAID to fly (and crash) rc models. Sounds like my kind of job.

wouldn't that be cool to see a glow powered models engine explode? Maybe they could do that at some sort of all electric competition
FlycastSeven is offline Find More Posts by FlycastSeven
Old Aug 22, 2002, 06:23 PM
ajeepham
Central Oregon Coast
Joined Jan 2002
56 Posts
Trader Rating: 16
now imagine that. Getting PAID to fly (and crash) rc models. Sounds like my kind of job.

YEPP . . . all you need to do is sign-up!!!
ajeepham is offline Find More Posts by ajeepham
Old Aug 22, 2002, 08:19 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,453 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
Quote:
Originally posted by ajeepham

YEPP . . . all you need to do is sign-up!!!
When I was in the Army back in the early 80s, I got a chance to fly the RC target planes. Once I was flying one that was being shot at by machine guns. Suddenly the plane yawed sideways for a second and the engine went silent. One bullet had gone straight through the glow plug. Here is what the K&B 61 looked like from the top.
radfordc is offline Find More Posts by radfordc
Old Aug 22, 2002, 08:20 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,453 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
And this is what the rest of it looked like.
radfordc is offline Find More Posts by radfordc
Old Aug 22, 2002, 08:38 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
wooah! Right threw it. I wish I could afford the one Capt.Dave has
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:51 AM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Trader Rating: 16
The hobby shop here in El Paso use to build these for the local base, they had one all done up in camo paint, looked cool. I emailed Goldberg models about them and they said it hasn't been produced since before they were bought a while back...DARN!!! I'm affraid to ask them how much for the one they have hanging up.
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Aug 23, 2002, 03:02 AM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,730 Posts
Trader Rating: 17
I HAVE 2 OF THESE DRONE WINGS

One I convirted into a Zaggi type flying wing..and the other.....well..I'm not sure what to do with it.

Kevin
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Closed Thread