SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:51 AM
Princeville, IL
Joined Jun 2006
54 Posts
Question
What is a good micro helicopter for beginners an why?

I am planning to get a micro heli but I want to know your opinions on which heli would be best for a beginner and why.
eflightdude is offline Find More Posts by eflightdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:22 AM
Blade CP/MaxiR SE
Mississauga, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
439 Posts
Some say a coaxial like Blade CX or Esky Llama. Others will say a fixed pitch helicopter like an Esky HB2. Others will say jump right into a collective pitch helicopter like a Blade CP or Esky CP2.

But it all depends on budget, how far you want to grow with your first heli, and how tolerant of costly and time consuming repairs you are going to be.

Creosote.
Creosote is offline Find More Posts by Creosote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:57 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,129 Posts
If you can fly indoors or on calm days the honeybee FP2 is a good heli to start with , if your stuck flying outdoors I would say a blade CP. The coaxial helis will teach you the basic controls but they may not teach you as much as you would like when it comes to the inertia and physics of how a real heli flys since they are stablize on your own and when you get into trouble all you have to do is let go of the sticks.
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:03 AM
MaxiR SE~E620SE
Campbell Hall, NY
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Creosote is right. In order for us to give you our opinions, you will need to give us some more info:

1. How much do you want to spend?

2. Where do you want to fly it mostly: Indoors / Outdoors(and in how high of wind) / Both?

3. How far do you want to develop your flight skills: Hovering around, upright forward flight only, mild aerobatics, heavy aerobatics, mild 3D, hard 3D?

4. Do you consider yourself a more patient person or a more impatient person?
truthunter is offline Find More Posts by truthunter
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:02 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
And ..when all else fails or doesn't make since ...buy one of each , grow with the madness and sell of what you can to someone else like you now....I have had alot of different ones and for the most part it becomes your preference of which you like the best and are most comfortable with ....Myself , I like the hummingbird line of micro's and for the mini I have the Trex...but I do keep a Revo cp on hand to practice with , and I still have a hummingbird elite cp and a v1 fp version . Even now I would like something else ..hmmm , I wonder myself what will be my next one ...Ohh the madness of it all .....good luck on your adventure through our heli hell ...Tom
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Sep 29, 2006, 02:39 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
I have a friend that picks it up fairly slowly and doesn't have a sim. For him, the CX is the way to go! The problem with that is, he doesn't have room to do much flying when it's windy. And it's ALWAYS too windy for that poor little heli.

I have a sim and picked it up fairly quickly, so a collective-pitch was the way to go with me. I chose the Blade CP (due to parts availability alone) and I have not been disappointed.

I have a T-Rex, but it doesn't get nearly the BASHING my CP does!
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:27 AM
Princeville, IL
Joined Jun 2006
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthunter
Creosote is right. In order for us to give you our opinions, you will need to give us some more info:

1. How much do you want to spend?

2. Where do you want to fly it mostly: Indoors / Outdoors(and in how high of wind) / Both?

3. How far do you want to develop your flight skills: Hovering around, upright forward flight only, mild aerobatics, heavy aerobatics, mild 3D, hard 3D?

4. Do you consider yourself a more patient person or a more impatient person?
Thanks everyone. In answer to your questions:

1. Less then $250.

2. Both. Light wind for outdoors.

3. Hard 3D. (sometime! )

4. I am a more impatient person.

I think I do pick up flying quickly.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:34 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightdude

1. Less then $250.

3. Hard 3D. (sometime! )

Well. If you're impatient this hobby is NOT for you. Sorry to say ;x
You'll have to work on that virtue hard if you want to stick around flying helis.. They can get expensive, and you always have to tweak and troubleshoot!

For your conditions, I'd reccomend the Blade CP Pro or the Honeybee CP2 (but you've got to do a couple mods to it before it flies right).

-Kyle
arclite5 is offline Find More Posts by arclite5
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:27 PM
MaxiR SE~E620SE
Campbell Hall, NY
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightdude

1. Less then $250.

3. Hard 3D. (sometime! )

If you find a chopper that is less than $250, can do hard 3D, and does not require patience, then let us know what it is because that is what we all dream of
Seriously, arclit hit the nail on the head... you may want to reconsider this hobby if your not patient. But if you want to try it out then arclite's suggestions will do the job cheaply... But don't plan on developing skills to fly hard 3D using these models and like any micro they require a lot of patience but even more so on these models. And make sure you have some reserve money for upgrade/crash parts.
truthunter is offline Find More Posts by truthunter
Old Oct 02, 2006, 08:58 AM
Princeville, IL
Joined Jun 2006
54 Posts
Thanks Everyone.
However, I didn't expect to fly hard 3D on my first heli.

I do know a great flyer how would be willing to train me.