HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:31 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Build Log
Hammer Models Wasp Flying Wing

Hello My name is Paul Viscovich and I am an RC Addict.. No Really I am curable and Michael Hammer may have a cure called the WASP.

Things got started a few weeks back when Michael from Hammer Models put the offer out to test build one of his plans. The kit would be the Wasp and the original thread in park flyers is here And also in the wings section here this is where you will find us pleading and beging to be kit testers.

It was decided that the review and build log would happen here in park flyers to try to provide to a larger more rounded group of RC enthusiasts.

So on September 9th the Kit was shipped to me and I received it from Denmark on the 26th a little over two weeks, I think that is very reasonable for over sea's shipping.

Here is a picture of the completed kit (Not Mine) under review. it can be found here Hammer Models As you can see this is one sharp looking bird.

Specifications:

Wingspan 70cm / 28"
Length 30cm / 12"
Weight (ready to fly) 180g / 6.3 oz

Recommended equipment:

2 - micro sevos or smaller
1 - Micro receiver
1 - Brushless 10 A ESC
1 - Brushless CD-ROM outrunner motor or similar
1 - Li-Po 3S1P 20C 360 mAh Battery
1 - CAM Speed Prop, 12 - 12 / 4.7 - 4.7

The model in the video is equipped with the following:

2 - GWS Naro micro servo, 9 g
1 - Jeti REX 5 plus receiver
1 - Castle Creations Phoenix-10 ESC
1 -
GoBrushless.com GBv1.1 CD-ROM motor, 12 turns
1 - Kokam 3S1P 20C 360 mAh LiPo Battery
1 - CAM Speed Prop, 12 - 12 / 4.7 - 4.7

Mine will be just a bit diffrent

1- Hitec Micro 05S receiver.
1- 400 mAh PolyRC 20C 3s Li-po (from RCLipos.com)

And while im at it.. Glue and any other last minute LHS items From Wold's Hobbies 7100 Village Parkway Dublin, CA
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Last edited by PaulVi; Sep 29, 2006 at 05:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:33 AM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,770 Posts
Looking foward too the review.
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:56 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
The Shipment

As you can see the over sea’s shipping was a bit rough on the carton, I feared for the planes life J really it looked much worse than it was, But we have all had the mail mishandle our items before right?

Corner damage was what worried me the most,

But what a surprise when I opened the carton and found a very well protected kit. Hammer Models does a great packaging job and everything in the carton was well protected by bubble wrap.
Last edited by PaulVi; Sep 29, 2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:56 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
The Contents

My kit for this build included the motor wound to Mike Hammers Specs. This was to provide a fair assessment to the Wasp So not normally included in the kit but provided in mine fore testing was the motor prop and prop saver. Thank you mike. (GB v1 with 12 turn) and (the Cam Prop (not normally included))

The kit consists of a bag of small parts and the gauge that will be used later in the build.

Very nice pod for the Wasp looks to be polystyrene plastic should be very tough. The thickness is what I would call Just about right to many times kit makers use to thin a plastic to save weight and the end results are my size 14 ring finger hands crush them on launch.. I do not think that will be a problem with this kit.

All the Balsa parts nicely bundled and wrapped to help prevent warping of the wood. When unbundled every thing was as straite as could be..

I layed all the small parts out notice the very fine detail with the laser cut parts. Top notch work here. and a few shots of All the parts and a print out of the Manuel that was downloaded from Hammer Models web site.

The manual is well written and changes are being made as clearer ways are found to describe the tasks at hand. but over all I rate it a 8 out of 10 for completness.

Last edited by PaulVi; Sep 29, 2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:58 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Build Begins

This shows the main building block of the wing this is the leading edge and part of what makes a nice D tube spar system.

I use a #11 blade to press through the remaining tab from the laser cutting it was not needed on the larger parts but why take chances. This kit has nice clean precision cut parts looks like this whole kit has that attention to detail. Fantastic.

Parchment Paper I use this product when building to cover the work surface it works well against most glues and is pretty cheap I get it at cake supply stores or Michel’s craft store.

My over crowded work bench. I said I would clean it what that is not clean???

So I started cutting out and preparing a wing half. Did a layout of the parts to make sure I knew where they were intended and to make sure nothing was missed. I mocked up the wing to see what it looked like before gluing now where did I put that thin CA.

So far i'm loving the engineering of this Kit
Last edited by PaulVi; Sep 29, 2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 02:07 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Continued

Laying flat and ready to be glued. Invest in some hypodermic needles from the hobby shop it will make gluing this wing very simple. Teflon tube tips may also work. apply glue to the shear web make sure you have a good bond here you want to make sure that the leading edge piece is glued the full length of the shear web. Remember you get the strength in the wing from the D shaped tube these parts create.

WOW 2 half’s glued and awaiting sheeting. Total time to this point is about 20 minutes. Mike the Designer stated he has his builds down to 3 hours on a good day. Im sure mine will take longer, Actuall alot longer with the documenting the build.

when glueing the wing sheeting be very carful it is a critical step and please take your time on it. When preparing the tops leading edge sheeting you need to test the fit a few times before hitting it with glue. Notice I had to put a filer piece in because I did not verify the 3rd time and wound up moving the top sheet as i glued it. you see in the pictures the leading edge has a hang over.. I mean has over hang.

That over hang is the reason I needed to add the filler piece. It should line up flush with the leading edge if not work it a bit more with the sand paper till you get it right on the trial fit. It will be neater in the long run if you do. What I did is very repairable (fault tolerant) so do not stress over this step

What I did was to trim this over hang down and then beveled the leading edge with fine grit sand paper to make a rounded leading edge I just followed the contour of the top and the bottom of the spares

after doing some fillets I wanted to let the wing half set up a bit so on goes the lead to hold it flat.
Last edited by PaulVi; Sep 29, 2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 02:20 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
And the world goes round.... (I had the tv ad in my head)

These shots show what i was attempting the the last steps. The bevel of the leading edge of the under side of the top sheet is sanded with a bevel. This bevel is diffrent from the root to the tip so it takes some playing to get it right.

Preparing the wing tips. Note the direction of the grain on the 3 parts as called out in the manual the cross grain adds strength with the tip laminated we are ready to glue them on there is a kind of fuzzy picture of me gluing the wing tip in place showing the 3mm shim placement.

Here we go both wing halves with the tips glued in place and fully sheeted. Total time working on this has been 1.5 hours over 2 days. Not bad and a real easy build. The instructions are very clear
Last edited by PaulVi; Sep 29, 2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 02:21 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Tools of the build.

These are the dihedral guide parts, the manual mentions A3 but it is not marked as such but you can see in the manual pictures that the “Wingtip →” is clearly A3. Pay attention and do not glue A3 to A1 and A2 The tool looks to have dual usage.

as shown in the pictures A1 and A2 are glued together with the insertable A3 pieces next to them. DO NOT GLUE A3.

As suggested in the manual make sure that both wing halves are flat and true with no rocking if you have a warp or rocking mosten the balsa sheeting and put weights on them.

I used fabrezz (room freashner because it is water and alcohol in a mister bottle and it happen to sitting right there.. but wiping the sheeting with a wet towle and putting weight on it to hold it flat while drying should fix and warpage. isopropal reacts diffrently than plan water, it seems to sofen the wood faster so that is how i do it.. 50% water 50% isopropal alcohol in a spray bottle.
Last edited by PaulVi; Sep 29, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:11 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
558 Posts
Hi Paul

I see you keep the picture of the finished Wasp just in front of you. Always good to remind yourself what the end result should look like. I will use that little trick when I work on future projects.

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:45 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
It is nice to keep the target in site Im so used to building balsa planes over plans and always have that as a refrance that I thought if i kept the photo in site i would feel better.

It is trully amazing how simple you have this kit designed to go together and how well the parts fit.. So far it has been a enjoyable project.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:23 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
That is a neat looking bird... I guess the fuse is vacuformed plastic or is that foam?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:28 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
I guess the fuse is vacuformed plastic or is that foam?
Yes it is vacuformed very sturdy too.
Last edited by PaulVi; Sep 29, 2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:50 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
3 more installments added. I will attemp to get some more build time tonight but my back is killing me.. and sitting is not real fun right now..
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:01 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
Hello My name is Paul Viscovich and I am an RC Addict.
Sounds like you may need to attend RCA meetings.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Last edited by scratchandbash; Sep 30, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:46 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
And the build goes on.

At this point I have both wing halves glued with the sheeting on them and I am ready to start the center spar work.

You will need to construct the dihedral supports. And sand the W1 ribs to the correct angle you will raise the tips with the supports and sang 90 Degrees to your work surface to ensure you get the correct angle. I use light scribes across the face of the center ribs to be sanded this tells me when I have just sanded across the full face of the rib. (This way I only remove what is needed)

I also sanded up the trailing edge where all the little support pieces were removed.
Last edited by PaulVi; Oct 03, 2006 at 10:03 PM.