Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Sep 28, 2006, 09:48 PM
Joined Feb 2000
380 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Discussion
How long do parcels usually take to come from the USA into Canada by airmail?

I bought a plane here on Ezone almost a month ago paid by paypal and I was told that it was shipped out by airmail on September 12 (apparently there was some emergency so it took a while to get it mailed out). In the past parcels usually got to me from the USA in about 10 days, but this one has taken 17 days now. The tracking number I was given does not work as well so I'm getting a bit worried here. From what I've read USPS tracking does not really do anything except tell when an item was delivered so I guess my not being able to use the number may not be too unusual. Anyway, what would most people consider a reasonable time period for an item to come from the USA into Canada by USPS airmail? Bernard

UPDATE: Plane finally came and everything has been sorted out. My apologies to Roger and everyone else who read this thread.
bfraser is offline Find More Posts by bfraser
Last edited by Bernard Fraser; Oct 13, 2006 at 01:29 AM. Reason: issue has been sorted out
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:27 PM
W0X0F
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2005
1,002 Posts
Trader Rating: 16
I sold a receiver to a fellow in Canada and the USPS took 3 weeks to deliever it. Actually USPS got it to Canada in a couple of days and then it sat around Canadian Customs for a couple of weeks. I finally took my tracking number to the post office and talked to one of the supervisors who did a computer check on it. I guess they can get more info on their computers. Anyway thats how I found out that the rx was held up in Canadian Customs. I swore off selling anything to anyone in Canada after that experience. After sometime passed I sold another kit that I had to a fellow in Edmenton. This time I sent it UPS and it took about 8 days. So do not dispair, the Mounties are probably having fun with your plane right now.
IBWALT is offline Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:45 PM
Fly it like you own it.
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
369 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
LOL, I resent that.

Believe me, we have nothing to do with Canada Customs and Revenue. They run their own little show. And sometimes don't run it at all, I think.
_Pattern_Man is offline Find More Posts by _Pattern_Man
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:17 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
Here's my take on things... somewhat in jest, but some truth to it as well...

I feel like there is a greater force at work when determining whether or not a package I order will make it to me A) in a timely fashion; B) arrive damaged/undamaged; C) arrive at all.

There seems to be some weird cosmic pendulum swinging with each extreme and the center of the pendulum swing representing one of the major carriers. USPS, FedEx, and UPS.

If the pendulum swings over UPS, DO NOT SHIP VIA UPS! It's a bad karma day for that shipper. Someone will play hockey with your batteries.

If it's a FedEx day, you're outta luck. You're new glider will be turned into a boomerand along with the box it's packed in.

USPS... etc. etc...

I buy/sell too often online and for the most part I do pretty good. I've had good luck, and I follow a few rules so that I minimize my chances of getting burned.

Occasionally things happen. Recently I shipped a Tipsy to a fellow member and UPS mangled it horribly. The member was the worst part of the deal... Just a real bad experience all together.

I've bought from allerc 5 or 6 times in the past 6-8 months. For some unknown reason, they always get my packages to me via USPS within 1 day of ordering. Pretty good in my opinion. Pretty darn good actually... I'm always impressed with how fast I receive items from them. Except the last time. Now don't get me wrong... The shipment did get to me within the promised timeframe so I REALLY can't complain... but when you get accustomed to something... You don't like it to change... Took 5 days to get my receiver crystals this time. Got them before the weekend though so that all that REALLY matters.

I've had the best luck with fedex, but they're not perfect either... I worked for fedex for a few months quite some time back and the stories I heard about theft were just insane. Whether they were just 'stories' or 'truths' I'll never know... but if they were true... wow... Just crazy.

My worst experience ever involved a decent purchase $200.00 in an ebay deal shipped via USPS.

I'm first and foremost a 'gamer'. PC games, consoles, etc... will always have a place in my life even if I do spend more time flying RC the past few years, I have still made time to buy/play my 'games'. I even was collecting a few systems awhile back. I had two 'New in the box' NES game systems. The original Nintendo... Never opened, never touched (both flooded during Katrina ) but before I got them I had the oppurtunity to buy a 'Mint in box' although used NES system along with a Super NES, a Mint in the box TurboGrafx16 along with a bundles of games etc. Figured $200.00 was a fair price and happily made the purchase. This was early in my working career so $200.00 was probably more like $1000.00 to me now... A good chunk of cash.

I make the purchase and get notice via email that the guy shipped. Wait a week and contact him again and he re-affirms the date he shipped. Wait 3-4 more days and contact him again and he locates the receipt showing date and amount it cost to ship, he scanned the receipt and emailed me a copy and called me on the phone to discuss. B/C of all this I felt he was being honest and decided to just 'wait it out'.

37 days after shipping the package arrived at my house. I actually had forgotten about it for a few days and really was confused to see such a big box on my doorstep when I got home from work. When I realized what it was I was quite happy.
But 37 days? for a 15-20lb. box to travel from Dallas, TX to New Orleans, LA?

Thats just crazy. Someone @ the post office must've been reliving their childhood and saving Zelda one last time before forwarding on my consoles/games to me.

Good luck with it... Just wanted to let you know even extreme amounts of time can pass with packages still getting delivered intact.

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:17 AM
My first Build
Vancouver WA
Joined Jul 2006
973 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
Mine took 3 weeks too. must be the magic number.
radralph is offline Find More Posts by radralph
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:07 AM
Seattle, WA. 98166
Joined Feb 2006
30 Posts
Trader Rating: 16
Re: Shipping to Canada...

Hello Bernard,
I own "Kite Classifieds" and I ship kites all over the world using the post office. I have had packages to Canada sent Airmail take up to 38 days to reach their new owners because of your customs office. The post office will tell you that "they have no control over a package once it leaves the USA because they have no control over other countries postal offices and how they handle things". I have never lost a package, but I have had a few get really delayed in shipping because of your nation's customs department.

Charly
Belassis is offline Find More Posts by Belassis
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:10 AM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,423 Posts
Trader Rating: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Fraser
I bought a plane here on Ezone almost a month ago paid by paypal and I was told that it was shipped out by airmail on September 12 (apparently there was some emergency so it took a while to get it mailed out). In the past parcels usually got to me from the USA in about 10 days, but this one has taken 17 days now. The tracking number I was given does not work as well so I'm getting a bit worried here. From what I've read USPS tracking does not really do anything except tell when an item was delivered so I guess my not being able to use the number may not be too unusual. Anyway, what would most people consider a reasonable time period for an item to come from the USA into Canada by USPS airmail? Bernard

Bernard;

Don't give up just yet. I have been shipping and receiving items to and from the USA for over 6 years and I have yet to have a lost article yet. Now damage to items is another matter I have seen it all. Best to ask for double boxing and hope for the best. I sometimes think that USPS and Canada Post employees take out their frustrations with our packages. I have told most sellers on RC Groups that are reluctant to ship to Canada that most of their fellow RC'rs from north of the 49th are a patient bunch. Sometimes items are delivered as fast as if they were mailed in the same city and other times I have seen a letter take 5 weeks to get to Florida (my first Ebay buy)
Just my $0.02

Thanks;
Rod
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:46 AM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Trader Rating: 333
I buy and sell a lot of stuff. Like others here my experiences with shipping are varied. I've seen small boxes get to larger Canadian cities in as little as 3 days. I've also seen boxes take 4 weeks. Go figure. The delays are almost always a result of a stop at the Customs Office.

Also, -never- ship to Canada via UPS. The recipient of the package will be in for a nasty surprise when they have to pay the UPS Customs Broker fees (in addition to VAT) which I am told are very expensive.

I too have also never had a package to Canada get lost so just hang in there. It will show.

--
Mike N
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:35 AM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,423 Posts
Trader Rating: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmaster
Also, -never- ship to Canada via UPS. The recipient of the package will be in for a nasty surprise when they have to pay the UPS Customs Broker fees (in addition to VAT) which I am told are very expensive.
Been there, done that.
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old Sep 29, 2006, 03:03 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Trader Rating: 46
I allow at least a week for my money order to get to the person, maybe a week for them to get the item packaged and mailed, (should be less but sometimes we all get busy), and then 3 weeks at least for the mail. That's 5 weeks as a minimum, and I don't get excited until it has been 8 weeks. That's where e-mails and PMs can really help to let both buyer and seller know the status of the exchange.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:12 PM
Team Me!
AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2005
3,161 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmaster

--
Mike N
Geez. When one package came to my door they said i owed $30 for customs!

Gee...I have to pay $30 so that my package wont show up for another week??
P-38J-Lightning is offline Find More Posts by P-38J-Lightning
Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:16 PM
I fly, therefore I am.
Dade City, Florida
Joined Oct 2005
3,095 Posts
Trader Rating: 78
I bought a trim piece for my Merc on Ebay, from a Canadian seller. He sent ti right away, he said. I waited 10 days, then emailed him. He wrote back saying tha Canadian customs/postal service was notorious for holding up mail and pkgs. He was right. Four weeks later after he sent it arrived. I know when he sent it as it was date-marked, so I can only attribute it the Canadians.
Bil
Cessna 182 is offline Find More Posts by Cessna 182
Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:16 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Trader Rating: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna 182
... so I can only attribute it the Canadians.
Or US Customs!

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:47 PM
Fly it like you own it.
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
369 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Besides the horrible reputation Canada customs and UPS has, we have to think of the bigger picture. In most cases, shipping via any method beats teh heck out of driving something across the continent to deliver it yourself. Cheaper too.
_Pattern_Man is offline Find More Posts by _Pattern_Man
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:57 AM
Joined Feb 2000
380 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Thanks for the replies everyone. After reading other people's experiences it looks like I must have been lucky in the past to get my parcels in about 10 days. For years right about the 10 day mark my parcels always arrived and it actually got to the point that thats when i expected them to come because they always did. I guess my luck just ran out... I'll just keep waiting and hopefully in the next few weeks it shows up. As for UPS I've known about them and their fees for years. I recall getting a $600.00 USA electric sailplane from Weston aerodesigns sometime around 1993-1994 and UPS completely crushed it. The brokerage fee was completely outrageous as well. I have never used UPS again when getting an item shipped to Canada.

--Bernard
bfraser is offline Find More Posts by bfraser
Last edited by Bernard Fraser; Sep 30, 2006 at 02:12 AM.
Closed Thread