HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:10 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,439 Posts
Contest
Q-500, Q-40, & Micro Pylon Racing at the Basin (9/30)

Incase anyone is interested, this weekend (9/30) there will be 2 days of Q-500 and Qm-40 glow racing at the Sepulveda Basin in Los Angeles. The CD has also given permission for some Micro pylon racing during the lunch break. There should be 3-4 pilots with Micro Pylon racers so hopefully we can make a good showing with these electric racers. If anyone can make it please stop by and say hello.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:17 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,302 Posts
Get some video!
Bodywerks is online now Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:51 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
I'm going to see if I can make it out there...
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:04 AM
Joined Apr 2004
5,439 Posts
That would be awesome Troy! I have an airframe for you to fly . The more airframes going around the pylons the better.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:55 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2003
756 Posts
Brett are you going to practice tommorow at the basin???
I think I am going to go out there as i have the day off
PylonDave is offline Find More Posts by PylonDave
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:51 AM
Joined Apr 2004
5,439 Posts
Dave,

Glad to hear you were able to finish your Quickie . Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make it out there tomorrow . I was at the Basin on Wednesday to check everything out. I haven't flown this Q-500 in awhile but I remember it being much faster. The Micro Stinger on 2 cells and a littlescreamer perceptually seems much faster than this Nelson powered Quickie. I think the Micro Stinger has just improved my reflexes because its unlikely the Q-500 changed.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:06 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
Go get'em Brent! The more times the hardcore pylon guys see the electrics go around the poles at the speeds they're turning now, the more people will be flying them. The last time I stopped by APC to buy props, Fred was blown away by the prop sound when I lit the fire. Now there is a true Pylon warrior. He's got it in his blood.

The more contests we have, the more it'll catch on. It would be nice to see pylon electrics be as popular in the US as they seem to be in Germany. The prices of the electric equipment is really affordable compared to buying a tuned Nelson. The repeatability of electric performance is a true plus for us as well.

Have fun guys, wish I could be there. It's just that my schedule as of late has been getting more and more crowded with finishing up the club field, my fourth (and probably my last) year as club president, and my coming out of retirement to start my own business. Hey, a guy's gotta afford a few new toys, right?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:03 AM
Joined Apr 2004
5,439 Posts
GregG,
Your right! Many of these fanatic glow guys simply don't know the state of technology with affordable high speed electric racing. Some exposure might attract a couple more participants to next years MWE micro pylon race. We'll see....
Last edited by pdawg; Sep 29, 2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:39 AM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
Hi,

I'm going to be passing through that way tomorrow afternoon. Can you post a GOogle map? I'd like to watch the racing.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:00 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,439 Posts
Hope to see you there Ledbetter. The field is located where the 405 and 101 freeways meet. From the 405n get off and take a left on Burbank blvd. Then take a right on Woodley. The field will then be on your left. Its is less than a mile from the freeway.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:17 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
THanks for the map. Unless I cancel my trip to Santa Monica,I'll make it by.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Sep 29, 2006, 03:42 PM
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
Those guys will get a kick out of the Micro racers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:10 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,439 Posts
I hope so . The question now is whether we should use all three of our portable pylons or whether we should use pylons 1&2 from the big course and just use one of the smaller pylons to shorten the course at pylon 1. Do you think using pylons of different sizes will work OK?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:29 PM
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
Different size pylons shouldn't be any issue. For simplicity's sake and speed to set up the course that sounds like a good idea.

BTW, Mark F. is planning on coming as well and will bring the F3D. Do you think they'd mind? It's kind of noisy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2006, 04:09 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,439 Posts
Saturday ended up being a great day of racing action with some great lunchtime electric demos. It was also nice to see several rcgroups members including Troy, Mark F, DaveXXX, and Travis Flynn. During the 30 minute lunch break we were able to get three micro Stingers in the air for a demo race and afterwards MarkF and Troy brought out the intense electric F3d racer.

The 3 Micro Stingers flown were all using different race legal power systems. Davexxxx was using a speedscream LS motor and a 4.74x4.75, Dave Curtis flying his straight wing micro stinger using a Razor 400 & 4.1x4.1, and I was using a 2 cell LS race motor built by Rvincent & 4.75x4.75. The Razor powered was by far the slowest and Davexxxx and I were fairly close although I was a little faster. The good news is that we all had fun and didn't break our models.

After the demo race Troy and MarkF put on a great flight with the electric F3d. The contest director even announced the model as they were taking the F3d out to the runway and everyone stopped what they were doing for this flight.
Needless to say, everyone was impressed ! Great job guys!

In addition to all the excitement with the electrics, my Q-500 was involved in a nasty mid-air going around pylons 2 and 3. It was sensational with both airframe getting shredded at 150 mph. Pieces went flying over several hundred yards. It took 30 minutes just to find my airframe. That's racing!

I know this is an electric forum but everyone can appreciate performance. Here is a very good video of a Q-40 race from launch to landing.

Q-40 racin at the Basin (2 min 13 sec)
Last edited by pdawg; Oct 01, 2006 at 04:17 PM.