HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2002, 05:55 PM
Over Engineered
Michigan
Joined Jul 2002
1,991 Posts
Ideal Set-up for SIG Rascal

I had an extra set of 400 long can motor laying around (P480/400). Put 480L's on my Twin Jet! I mounted one inside my Rascal. It always had to be hand launched with the speed 400's. Now I can ROG with out a problem. Here is the set-up I am running now:

8x1100AAU
2.5:1 Gear Ratio
9x6 prop (Ground clearance is a little touchy
FMA Mini 20 ESC
29oz.AUW
about 18 amps and 125 watts

Getting about 10 min. of flight time with heavy throttle management.

Loops well, Barrel Rolls Well, Stall Turns well, ROG in about 25 feet on medium grass. Changed the wheels to the Du-bro light foam wheels 2" dia. Took off the skirts, too much drag. Removed the tail wheel for the same reason. Just let the back drag. Do not cause any damage with the grass runways!

I could go up to a 10 cell pack but it would require a new esc. If I get board some day maybe I will do it. But for now I think it is fast enough for now.
Robert Hoffman is offline Find More Posts by Robert Hoffman
Last edited by Robert Hoffman; Aug 20, 2002 at 09:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2002, 09:51 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,903 Posts
Robert you also might want to try cp1300x8 for longer duration with
out such a heavy throttle management.I'm glad you posted this info.I'm about to start this kit.I'm going to add alierons to mine.I'm tired of three channel.Hey good luck&and enjoy,stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Aug 21, 2002, 07:37 AM
Over Engineered
Michigan
Joined Jul 2002
1,991 Posts
Stephan
I was debating on building a new one. If I did I would build the wing with no dihedral like the ARF 40 rascal. I would install longer and stronger landing gear so it could handle the 10x1300scr pack. Maybe go to a belt aluminum plate set-up. Strengthen the Battery hatch for the 10x1300scr. Definately add ailerons!!!! Put two srews for the wing mount and strenthen. I do not think this original design was meant to handle the loads the Power modifications we are talking about. With 10 cells, the long can 400 and ailerons. You could do anything you want with this model. At least anything you can do with a top wing model.
Bob
Old Sep 23, 2002, 07:37 PM
Over Engineered
Michigan
Joined Jul 2002
1,991 Posts
Battery Hatch

StephanP

I had my battery hatch come out today. Of course the battery came out with it. I would definatly make this stronger than the original design. I had stopped using the screws and put in a tab and screw I could rotate to retain the hatch. I flew this for two years and did not have any trouble. Today during a full throttle barrel roll at the bottom of the roll out popped the battery. The Rascal glided into the tall grass with no damage. Connector pulled loose and there was no control power. Also the 8 oz. battery is mostly in front of the CG. It still glided very nicely to the ground. I am going to build a new hatch and replace the lite ply reinf. with the next thicker ply. The latch was still closed. The hatch flexed under the force and popped loose. The tab over hung the hatch by 3/8". If you go with the 1300scr's this would be a bigger concern.
Bob
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:32 PM
Portland, Maine
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
servos and ROG ?

I have a Rascal coming in a few days, stock will it ROG ?

Also I can use sub-micro servos right? Like an HS-55 ?
I noticed it specified something similar in size.

Thanks.
IncredibleITGuy is offline Find More Posts by IncredibleITGuy
Last edited by IncredibleITGuy; Sep 25, 2002 at 11:53 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:51 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
I want one for night flyng. Saw two at NEAT.
I think they were the 40's though. I don't know what the set-up was .
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:55 PM
Portland, Maine
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
Night flying

I got mine in trade , it's violet I am thinking about installing some lights or LED's in the wings for violet glow at night time... should look awesome

I have been searching other threads for recommended servos.
also looking for stock battery sizes.

I have some batterries here mostly flat packs AA's and a couple sticks of AA's
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:25 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
If your getting the Sp 400 sized one the HS-55's will be fine unless you plan on realy overpowering it (then HS-81's would be better). The AA cells will only be marginal unless they are the new 1100AAU's. I like the CP1300 cells for Sp 400's. Good run times and little voltage drow at full throdle.
I haven't tried the new 1100AAU yet.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:32 AM
Portland, Maine
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
well?..

I have some packs from my sky scooter I no longer use.
Those are 8x1600 NiMH .. I also have a 8x1000NiMah pack .. much lighter as well. I figured these packs had no trouble powering the scooter w/ 3:1 and 9x6. I am not sure of the cell type though.. but they are in a flat (4 rows x 2cells) .. a little wider then a conventional flat pack (8 cells side by side) but worked very well in the scooter... Iwas hoping they could find alternate use. I would start off with the NiCd seeming they are lighter and are more capable in the load area.

What if I put a 9x6 in place of the stock prop that comes with the Rascal? I am sure running 8 cells will be better then the recommended 7 anyway, without changing anything else. I will convert the connectors over to sermos.

I noticed people were having issues with ther esc? I imagine SIG cleared this up a while ago seeming this plane has been around for a bit now. I will also make sure the wing connection is 'strong'... I'll figure out a way to reinforce it.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 06:34 AM
Over Engineered
Michigan
Joined Jul 2002
1,991 Posts
I have been flying my Rascal for about two years. I started with the 7.2v sp 400 and 8 cells. It was marginally powered and I hand launched it all the time. Keep in mind I take off in the grass. I addded one more cell to the pack (9 cells total). That helped with the power but still no ROG in grass. I whent to the 6v sp 400 and 8 cells. early in the year when the grass is matted down I could ROG. Then I went to a 4.8v sp 400 (Rocket 400) with 8 cells finally ROG in Grass. The motor was smoke in three flights and that was in the winter. Next I installed a Black Long Can 400/480. Ahhh ROG in grass. Been doing that all year without a glitch. BTW I also removed the tail gear. It caused too much resistance in the grass.

Watch the weight with the battery pack. I don't think the landing gear can't handle the extra weight of the 1300's.

If i was to reinstall my servos I would remove the HS-81's and put in HS-55. Again this is without the weight of the 1300's.

I think that if you start to put in 10 cells or go to 1300's you will add too much weight for the landing gear and front fuse structure. After you reinforce the fuse and add stronger landing gear your wing loads go up. You could start to get caught up chasing your tail. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 10:48 AM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,795 Posts
Mines a floater with a Mega 16/15/7, 9X4.5 APC and 8/600AE's.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Sep 26, 2002, 08:58 PM
Mississippi
Joined Jul 2000
754 Posts
Been flying the Rascal over 1 year now.First with the supplied 6v speed 400 w/3:1 gearbox and 8cell 600ae's and9x6 prop,would ROG from hard surface.Repowered with a hobby lobby "black case" long can 400/480 after reading Robert's post.Also using a 10cell 1100mah nimh from wattage,sun3000 esc and 9x6 apc prop.The plane is now alot more fun to fly with the added power .Still floats forever on landing Flight times are 8-9 min.BTW I had a bad esc with mine and Sig replaced it and said there was a problem with them,been using the replacement in another plane with no problems.
steve
cloudhopper is offline Find More Posts by cloudhopper
Last edited by cloudhopper; Sep 26, 2002 at 09:06 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 09:18 PM
Portland, Maine
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
prop / gearbox

No prop was included with mine

I am busy putting it together tonight, and noticed this.

I have an APC 9x6 slow flyer.

Should I / Can I use the 2.5:1 or should I up it to 3:1
This kit has the 6v 400 not the 7.2v....

Also I do have a long can 400/480 black I purchased from hobby lobby a while back... should I just trade it out now before even flying the promax?? I am looking for decent power, possible ROG's (not a big deal though) and nice long flight times.

Going to be using 8x700 NiCd AA or 8x1000 Nicd AA for power.

I would like to built this stock, but then again, I would like to have the least amount of troubles too

Your input is appreciated. I'll post some pics when I am finished
Old Sep 26, 2002, 09:32 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,795 Posts
My Rascal tail wheel mod..........

http://www277.pair.com/wilalisa/will...rascaltail.jpg
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Sep 27, 2002, 06:31 AM
Over Engineered
Michigan
Joined Jul 2002
1,991 Posts
IncredibleITGuy
WhenI was flying with the 6v 400 and maxx gear box i had the lowest ratio. It came with 2:1, 2.5:1 and 3:1. With the 6v I used a 9x6 prop.

With the 400/480 long can I tested the amp draw with the 9x6 and 2.5:1 as well as 3:1. The 2.5:1 kept the amp draw below 20 amps. I have a FMA Mini 20 esc. It draws 18 amps peak to be exact. With the 3:1 ration I donot know how high the amp draw was. When I throttled the motor up and the Whatt Meter hit 20 amps. I stopped and lowered the ratio to 2.5:1. I seam to remember that the long cans are most efficient around 18 amps.

William A.
Nice tail wheel set-up. At first I changed the tail wheel to a light plastic wheel. Removed it after it got hung up in the grass and snapped off. I also put skis on mine in the winter.