Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 27, 2006, 03:50 PM
Roll Tide!
Joined Oct 2005
325 Posts
Question
Gym-Blu video clips

Hi guys,

Does anybody have links to video that shows the Gym-Blu flying? I asked Gene and he doesn't have any. If you do, I'd love for you to share them with us. I just want to compare the way mine flies with any others that have been built.

Mine is a modified version. It was built with elmer's 5mm. foam board and a conventional tail (horizontal and vertical stabs). I don't have a camera, but I'm going to try to find someone who does and who can help me post a video clip. My cyber-resources are limited and I'm pretty cyber-challenged myself!

Thanks again, Gene, for all those great designs and plans!

Happy flying to all,
amigo
amigo is offline Find More Posts by amigo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2006, 07:22 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
amigo... got any pics for us non movie guys ... ???
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Sep 28, 2006, 09:53 AM
Roll Tide!
Joined Oct 2005
325 Posts
Hi Gpw,

Here's a couple of pictures. I could only get a camera for a day so these are pictures with the balsa wings I made for it. I just recovered these wings with reynolds wrap and If I can get the camera again I'll post those too and a couple with the original foam wing and the original foam wheels made from coffee cup bases. I'm going to ask Santa to bring me my own camera!
Old Sep 28, 2006, 05:43 PM
soar-ne
omaha ne
Joined May 2005
765 Posts
Hey Amigo:
Whats your all up weight and wingspan? Looks really lite. Bet it just crawls through the air. Nice build with the reynolds wrap wing. Is it slower than when you had the foam wing on it?
Happy flying
Bob
soar-ne is offline Find More Posts by soar-ne
Old Sep 28, 2006, 06:10 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
HeHe... That wing makes it look even more like one of the inspirations... The PFC by AZ-Chuck... My first scratch-built
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:04 PM
New Flyer
Gibraltar , MI Down River
Joined Sep 2006
28 Posts
Here is a pic of mine.
It go's 420g 36" wing from STC BP21 7cell.
bullet418 is offline Find More Posts by bullet418
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:08 PM
New Flyer
Joined Sep 2006
28 Posts
OOps didn't get the pic in. I hope to maiden tomarow.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:48 PM
Roll Tide!
Joined Oct 2005
325 Posts
Hi guys,

Soar-ne I don't really know how much it weighs with any kind of wing. I don't have a scale, but it is pretty light. With the yellow wing it flies about the same as it does with the foam wing. With the blue wing it glides very nicely. I take it up to altitude, shut the motor off and it floats down beautifully. Also the blue wing makes it possible to make really tight turns.

I'm just starting to get into this so my covering with tissue was not good. The Reynold's wrap makes us newbies look like pros. I'll try to get the camera soon. With any kind of wing, it'll climb like a rocket, because it's so light.

Bullet, keep us posted! Do you think you might be able to shoot some video and be the first one ever?

Gene, I am indebted to you for all the wonderful evenings I have had flying this airplane. You are very kind to share with us your expertise.

Best regards to all,
amigo
Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:50 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
My pleasure to share... I learned most of it right here!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:56 PM
New Flyer
Joined Sep 2006
28 Posts
I took it out today. The wind looked like it would ground me. but at about 6:30 here it was dead calm.
Though I would have some video but my doughter didn't hit rec.
The thing took off in about 10 ft. But would only turn to the right? I tride to land but CRASHED. I think I had too much right off set on the motor? The motor mount broke at the glue joit like I had hoped. I tried to zip tie it. This wasnt strong. Did the same.
I did see that my throughs are small .
I'm going to redo it and try tomarow.
t
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:58 PM
New Flyer
Joined Sep 2006
28 Posts
Also Thank you all for the plans and information that you post. This newbe has learned a lot!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:03 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
No problem...

Sounds like you may well have too much right thrust. I like big thows myself

Just noticed where you are... got in-laws in the area. Sister-in-law on GrosIsle and mother-in-law in Trenton
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:42 PM
Maylene, Alabama
Joined Apr 2006
14 Posts
Amigo, those wings look familiar. I think I met you the other day at the Helena school flying your sloooooow stick(if I didn't than please ignore this post) . You also let me fly it for a bit (thanks). You still need to come done to Creek View and bring your planes.
Talk to you soon,
Mike
shazbot is offline Find More Posts by shazbot
Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:09 PM
Roll Tide!
Joined Oct 2005
325 Posts
Hi Mike,

That was me! You flew the one with the reynolds wrap on the wing. Looks much better than the tissue, doesn't it. I borrowed a camera today and was about to take pictures of the airplane with the original foamie wing and the new reynolds wing, but the batt died. I'll try again on Monday. I haven't had a chance to make it to your flying field, but I will. It was a pleasure to meet you.

Bullet, I hope you have better luck next time. It'll be great to see your video! I noticed on your picture that you've got a nimh battery pack, is that right? I tried flying mine initially with one of those, but it was heavy for the airplane. After I studied a little about lipos and with the help and suggestions of the kind folks here, I switched to an etec 2s 250 mAh 7.4V and what a difference! (By the way, that's what Gene used on his original Gym-Blu).

Good luck!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:28 PM
New Flyer
Joined Sep 2006
28 Posts
Gene, It's a small world