HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2006, 07:33 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Wish I could find the OHSA site I looked up once. They discussed the effects of various common woods. Balsa was not on the list. Effects of different woods varied from things as benign as splinters to some actually toxic effects from breathing the sawdust or even severe skin burns and rashes from oils in the wood, and some, with long enough exposure, could put you in a hospital with severe nerve or lung damage. I was very glad to see that balsa was not listed.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:33 PM
Asheboro, NC
Joined Sep 2006
86 Posts
I guess balsa nibbling is no worse than chewing on a tooth pick?!
GETBENT is offline Find More Posts by GETBENT
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:44 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,113 Posts
You won't get fat eating it as it's Lite
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:44 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
I found the print-out I had of that wood web site. Forgot to bring it to work with me today, though. It has a .uk extension.

Chewing balsa wood never hurt me, that I know of-although my wife claims I sometimes chiiter like a woodchuck, with an Ecuadorian Spanish accent.
Old Nov 02, 2006, 07:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
1 Posts
Is eating balsa wood bad for you?

Have you asked your shrink??

Don't F*** with us, I know you have one!

Haha, jk. I do weird things like that, but i dont have enough courage to post them online!!
IridiumRed is offline Find More Posts by IridiumRed
Old Nov 02, 2006, 08:08 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
When I need to shrink, I either use my Top Flight heat gun, or for serious shrinking, I have an Ungar Princess heat gun that gets up to about 900 F and can melt solder as well as do heat shrink.

Neither of them responded to the question. I think they are ignoring me. Or they are giving me the silent treatment.

Everybody's nuts but thee and me, and sometimes I wonder about thee!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:24 PM
Aircrafting is noisey...what?!
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Dec 2005
585 Posts
cedar and red wood dust is considered toxic be sure to wear protection and vaccum collection. eating balsa?!? My dog likes it but then she eats everything I drop. very crunchy at first that's when I get tipped off and go fishing in her mouth with my finger to get it back.
charlieoneseven is offline Find More Posts by charlieoneseven