HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2006, 07:33 AM
Fleetwood, Northern England
Joined Jun 2006
300 Posts
Discussion
Eating Balsa Wood...is it bad for you?

...or is it just a wholesome way to add fibre to your diet.

I can't be the only person* who almost subconsciously nibbles the ends of scrap bits of balsa whilst pondering a particuarly troublesome part of a build.

I suppose in my life I have probably consumed the equivalent of at least one whole sheet of 1/8" possibly more. I'm just wondering what problems or benefits I can expect.

*actually maybe I am.
northernmonkey is online now Find More Posts by northernmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:27 AM
Jim
Joined Mar 2006
10 Posts
Unusual habit, although I've probably breathed in a massive amount sanding over the years! I've not knowingly eaten the stuff.
tr7v8 is offline Find More Posts by tr7v8
Old Sep 26, 2006, 09:15 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,730 Posts
I've done it for years. The best thing is that micromodels come out the other end....

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Sep 26, 2006, 09:18 AM
Deported Village Idiot
A roamin' in the gloamin again
Joined Jun 2006
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey

I can't be the only person* who almost subconsciously nibbles the ends of scrap bits of balsa whilst pondering a particuarly troublesome part of a build.

I suppose in my life I have probably consumed the equivalent of at least one whole sheet of 1/8" possibly more. I'm just wondering what problems or benefits I can expect.

*actually maybe I am.
Perhaps you should chhange your nom-de-plume to "Beaver"
TheSaint is offline Find More Posts by TheSaint
Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:52 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,201 Posts
I suspect that you're "it" Saint.

Like many I've breathed the dust for too many years. I'm not allergic to the dust which causes severe sinus congestion and runny nose until the dust clears. I tend to sand beside a pegboard box hooked to a vacuum cleaner.

Not sure if it's just old age or if it's only due to the balsa dust. I know that other wood dusts don't bother me near as much.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:02 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Balsa is just roughage. I.e. it won't do anything to you and is basically indigestible anyway.

There are a few carcinigens in wood, but they tend to evaporate off..all thats left is cellulose, liginin and tannin IIRC. Not nearly as much as in a cup of tea..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:20 AM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Probably no real problems to speak of, and maybe a bit of extra protein now and then depending on whether you've snapped up a bit of wormy wood.

OTOH, if you have increasingly strong urges to slap your backside on the pavement when you spot something dangerous, you might want to back off the balsa intake a bit . . .
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:04 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Tastes like wooden chicken?

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:07 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined May 2000
602 Posts
You guys slay me.
chlee is offline Find More Posts by chlee
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:15 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,139 Posts
If you guys are looking for more fiber in your diet, eat carpet.

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Oct 01, 2006, 04:39 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
with or without cyano garnishing?
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old Oct 01, 2006, 05:42 PM
Joined Oct 2004
96 Posts
Talking of cyno':

I thought I had become allergic to balsa dust after 50 odd years of whittling the stuff into flying critters.
Sneezing, runny nose, bunged up ade"dddoids" and all that kind of thing.
IT IS IN FACT DOWN TO CYNO!:mad: .

My missus has now declared it a banned substance (so I hide it, and only use it on hinges, even then OUTSIDE the workshop!) If I get a tiny wiff of cyno, flue like symptoms come on within an hour or so. It pays to read the warnings on these products!
john whitehead is offline Find More Posts by john whitehead
Old Oct 01, 2006, 06:21 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
I use a kitchen vent with drop down tyvek drop clothes and a front window of Plexiglas for all my painting and gluing. The vent does a great job of removing all fumes to the outside. Works very much like a chemistry lab fume hood. I recommend this as well as a sanding box made from pegboard material attached to a shop vac with a hepa filter installed.

Best to eat the balsa than to breath it

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by john whitehead
I thought I had become allergic to balsa dust after 50 odd years of whittling the stuff into flying critters.
Sneezing, runny nose, bunged up ade"dddoids" and all that kind of thing.
IT IS IN FACT DOWN TO CYNO!:mad: .

My missus has now declared it a banned substance (so I hide it, and only use it on hinges, even then OUTSIDE the workshop!) If I get a tiny wiff of cyno, flue like symptoms come on within an hour or so. It pays to read the warnings on these products!
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Old Oct 14, 2006, 06:47 PM
Joined Aug 2006
86 Posts
I thought that balsa increased testosterone levels..

Quote:

*actually maybe I am.
frasco is offline Find More Posts by frasco
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:02 AM
Paine Field
Joined Apr 2004
479 Posts
Breathing wood dust is no laughing matter. Google Cedar Dust for starters, next 911 dust or asthma and then Metalic Taste in your throat.

It can make you Blue in the face!
Thermal Miester is offline Find More Posts by Thermal Miester