SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2006, 09:19 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Discussion
New GWS plane in the Hanger

I just added a new plane to my Hanger. The X-Moth is a Pico Tiger Moth powered by a GWS 2205/15. The battery is a 2S1320 mah Thunder Power, receiver is a Berg 4L, 8040 HD prop, and the ESC is a Phoenix 18. The cowel is being painted so I left it off for now.

This plane is a blast to fly and will go slow or, rip straight up if you like. I maidened it tonight and got about 15 minutes of flying in before it got dark. I probably could have flown a few more minutes but my guess is about 15 to 18 minutes with this motor and battery. The all up weight with battery is a hefty 10.5 ounces but it flys really nice and is very stable and responsive. Landings are a breeze even dead stick is easy. Video comming soon.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2006, 09:41 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
In order to make Pico Tiger Moth to be RTF package, GWS will try to modify tooling mode soon to be able to use 10x10mm wood for GWS 22xx BL motor.

one of version will come with GWS2205 BL motor.

Original IPS version and EDP150 version will also take into considered.

May be later on, even IPS will be able to come with a 1230BL motor as well.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Sep 25, 2006, 09:48 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Thanks Mr. Lin, your products have come a long way and just keep getting better. Looking forward to building a GWS-38 next.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:51 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
I totally agree. I have most of the GWS kits produced...just a few more to try, plus I have multiples already of my favorites. I have my second corsair in the works, 2nd formosa, etc...
Just make sure and not lose the beauty of the original pico TM...slow, steady, lightweight, gracious flying machine. While we like to hop things up, I think I would be saddened if there was no original slow flyer available. There is just something about it's unaltered beauty....
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:47 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Ken, I also have a stock TM with IPS power and an intermediate one with a small outrunner. Each airplane has it's own unique flight envelope and each one is as much fun as the other. Having said that, after flying a stock TM for several years I wanted to try something new. That's what the hobby is all about.

John..
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:22 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I think the Moth looks great John. I was flying my Pico and my TM400 yesterday. The pico has a 21gm cd rom type outrunner on two cells and the TM400 has a GWS 2208 on three cells. I enjoy the ability of both of them, and particularly the Pico to fly by real slow and like Ken I think that's a great feature. Having said that the big Moth has more presence, looks more convincing and will do a lovely taxi and go.......

The slow fly characteristics of the SlowStick doesn't come even close to lighting my fire but I'd love to see another characterful slow fly from the GWS stable.

This has character and its unusual among WWI bipes in having a reasonably long nose to help with CG without adding weight. How about it Mr Lin?

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/royal-ai...ctory-se5a.htm
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Sep 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin
I just added a new plane to my Hanger. The X-Moth is a Pico Tiger Moth powered by a GWS 2205/15. The battery is a 2S1320 mah Thunder Power, receiver is a Berg 4L, 8040 HD prop, and the ESC is a Phoenix 18. The cowel is being painted so I left it off for now.

This plane is a blast to fly and will go slow or, rip straight up if you like. I maidened it tonight and got about 15 minutes of flying in before it got dark. I probably could have flown a few more minutes but my guess is about 15 to 18 minutes with this motor and battery. The all up weight with battery is a hefty 10.5 ounces but it flys really nice and is very stable and responsive. Landings are a breeze even dead stick is easy. Video comming soon.

Great Looking Moth! keep us posted!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition