HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:26 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
What to do with all those left over Firebird XL Parts?

Like many of you, I started this hobby with the Firebird XL. And, as most, I have moved on, but left a trail of FBXL leftovers in my wake. I have a couple FBXL motors, props, about six batteries, a leftover GWS GS-400 ESC from the 3-CH FBXL conversion days, etc. Sure would be a shame to let all this equipment go to waste.

Anyone have good ideas on aircraft I can use these motors, batteries, etc in? Preferably a kit or ARTF of some sort, not up to designing or building custom balsa or foamies yet.

Thank you,
David J.
DavidJ is offline Find More Posts by DavidJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:34 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
the batteries and speed control will work wonderful in the GWS beaver, and at around 40 bucks with motor/prop/gearbox, you cant go wrong

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Aug 20, 2002, 04:54 AM
Dead stick!!
Joined Mar 2002
1,377 Posts
I'm also wanting to recycle my Firebird components - especially the 2 NiMH battery packs. I read some info about the Beaver on the Horizon Hobby site, and it sounds like a nice plane:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...030&pc=GWS1030

I also found a thread where the Firebird batteries were recommended for the Beaver - lots of info here on the battery options for this plane:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...rebird+battery

Beaver here I come.

Thanks

Peter
Peter Young is offline Find More Posts by Peter Young
Last edited by Peter Young; Aug 20, 2002 at 04:58 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:03 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
Rebuilding FBXL Batteries

Thank you for your advice.

Dylan,

I noticed in the thread referenced by Peter that you shared some knowledge there about using the FBXL batteries in the Beaver and how the batteries need to be reconfigured.

Could you see my new thread at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=57598

And provide some detailed input there? (I would have asked the question here instead of a new thread, but it was not until the post of the new thread that I bridged you were the same person in both threads).

Thanks,
David J.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 11:39 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
Looks like I can use the battery packs "as-is" in the new Graupner Mini Piper. The reviews make it sound a bit better than the Beaver as well. Just got to find a 7.2V Speed 300 motor I can use instead of buying the one Hobby Lobby recommends with the built in ESC for $50. I already have an ESC that needs to be used.

David J.