HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:54 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Question
Wing Building: Built up Ribs vs Foam Laminated wings, which is better?

Gang,

I know the usual answer is "it depends" but which is the better build method?

Here are the considerations...

1. Time (I want to build as quick as possible)
2. Accuracy of the build. I can cut foam wings and I can cut ribs by hand. I can also outsource these functions to have the performed by computers.
3. Durability. Which will generally take longer to wear out?
4. Easy of building. I have the bags, pumps, epoxy, ca, balsa etc... to build either.
5. Prototype? Which is the prefered method to prototype ships. This would mean really quick, almost disposeable building so that a basic feel of the plane can be gained. I can see covering a foam wing with tape or building a ribbed wing with fewer ribs and full balsa sheeting.
6. Any other considerations you may have.

This will be my first official building season, and I plan on building several 60 inch planes from DLG, to mini hotliners. I purposely didn't ask about spars as I think the same spar can be used in either construction method.

Thanks.
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2006, 05:19 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
The best, so far, is EPP foam wing cores, carbon tube and skin mylar tape.

Here are the considerations...

1. Time (I want to build as quick as possible)
One day.
2. Accuracy of the build.
Get the cores from Les. http://www.compufoamcore.com/
Or get the CNC machine.
3. Durability.
EPP and Mylar.
4. Easy of building.
Goop or hot glue.
5. Prototype?
Same methods.
6. Any other considerations you may have.
Learn to use engneering methods. Study about aerodynamics and structures. It is more efficient rather than cut and try. Don't think that you can win in contests.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Last edited by Ollie; Sep 25, 2006 at 05:45 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 02:37 PM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
554 Posts
Try them all

I have built using all those methods, and some others, and much prefer to built all built up models. Its a satisfaction thing and I have been know to scratch build a 3m thermal soarer in wood from plan to flying in a week, including hand cutting 100 ribs....
I do use different techniques for different types of models if need be but if possible I always use a built up structure.

I'd suggest that you try several different models with different structure types and find the methods you prefer.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Sep 26, 2006, 07:28 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
cutting 100 ribs would take me a week... How did you build it so fast? And how many models have you built?

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:00 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
I thnk not much beats a D box wing witrh rib capping for strength to weight frankly.

Thats my choice for old timers.

For WWII type scale, I think probably depron sheet over balsa formers and decent spars is good.

The sailplane giys like foam I suspect because they add carbon and glass for strength, and they get a totally true airfioil, and weight is not SO critical there as low drag.

But it all depends on what you want. 100 ribs ALL THE SAME is a cinch. Its when they are all different you are in trouble..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 27, 2006, 04:23 PM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
cutting 100 ribs would take me a week... How did you build it so fast? And how many models have you built?

Jay
Well not working or going to colledge at the time was helpfull, and forget a social life. It all boils down to planning your build. Sharp knife. using templates where possible and while some things are setting/gluing cut out others.
Somewhat slower today with a family to care for but I still spend an evening in front of the TV cutting ribs out.
Been building models for 25 years and lost count of how many I built.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Sep 28, 2006, 01:58 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,622 Posts
A quick and dirty prototype is a foam core with nylon strapping tape used in place of a spar. Cover with lightweight packing tape. A balse LE and TE will help with dings and give a more solid mount for ailerons. However, I have used bi-directional stapping tape as an aileron hinge with good results and omitted the balsa TE.

You can build a hybrid wing. Use a foam core, then sheet the LE back to a typical spar location, sheet the TE and capstrip the area between the LE and TE sheeting. Many times, the sheeting will provide sufficient strength without having to inlay a spar. With this method, you can use the high temp films and have a nice smooth finish. The SST in the attached pic was built this way.

OTOH, nothing is more appealing than a nicely built all wood wing -- but it takes time.

andrew
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Last edited by Andrew0820; Sep 28, 2006 at 02:04 AM.