HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Discussion
Casio EX-Z850 depth of field shots from the air

I'm starting to play with 'close up' plane shots. I've been asked to take pictures of a neighbors farm (horses) in a valley. So now I need to actually figure out how to get BOTH a close up (say 20-30 feet target in focus AND get effectively infinity in focus). If that's not possible, then get 100 feet in focus along with the 20-30 foot shot.

I'm trying to get the horses in focus with the surrounding view (from the air). So, Anyone have a 'cheat sheet' for computing the 'depth of field' from the aperature with the EX-Z850?

So much for shutter priority, looks like I'll need to go to full manual, and starting figuring out how much light I need to get the aperature to give me the depth I want.
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:30 PM
Joined May 2006
109 Posts
Well, I don't have a Casio

But this sounds like one of those deals where you have to find a nice compromise between shutter speed and a smallish aperture. I'd tripod mount the camera on a nice sunlit outdoor shot and shoot the identical scene with all of your different modes to see which one gives you the mix you want. Once that's done I'd set it there give it a try. I didn't notice if you were a heli guy or an airplane aficionado but it you're shooting from a plane I'd attempt the session when your subject is brightly lit from the side and your approach is against a light steady breeze so the plane will slow down and almost hover. I've had some 1/200 @ f8 shots turn out pretty sharp, of course the percentage of usable photos goes down. Hope this helps.

Glenn in Texas
gsd6600 is offline Find More Posts by gsd6600
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:14 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Online depth of field calculator... you may be surprised at just how much depth of field you have.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
Phil R is offline Find More Posts by Phil R
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:18 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Thanks, Phil.
Just added the DOF calculator page to my bookmarks.
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan