SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:50 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,831 Posts
Discussion
Trex 4 Bladed Main Rotor with Swift Tail Rotor.

Seeing "FL62" posted his 4 bladed TRex, I decided to share with u all my latest TRex.

It is 4 Main Bladed Rotor Head with Century Swift Tail blades.

The main rotor is an articulated or flapping hinges type design. This morning, I was flying it with Align 325mm old black colored carbon composites blades and due to the mass of total of 4 blades is high and furthermore, it can spin much slower than normal 2 bladed (total lifting surface is 4 blades), the tail authority dropped. Other than that, it perform very well. Oh. It do not require cyclic gyro for this 4 bladed heli.

After went home, I decided to try to use Swift tail blades and now the authority very good.

I wanted to go 4 bladed tail rotor but for 4 bladed tail rotor design, I haven't draft it out yet.

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2006, 05:30 PM
Heli Monger
New York Ny/Newark La Guardia, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
760 Posts
Any concern on the added load on the belt and gears. Any bogging on the motor?
eMeNeX is offline Find More Posts by eMeNeX
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:12 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,831 Posts
When I run on original TRex tail rotor, at hover, I can see that the tail pitch (tail slider) is reaching at the end of the throw. I also can hear some turbulance sound and appears to be coming from the tail.

Now, with Swift blades, no turbulance sound and the pitch/throw is off at the center by a bit.

I did a quick punch up and the tail hold very well with no slowness in motor speed. Tried do a quick piro (on light skids), the speed is fast on end.

Remember, this tail rotor is only suitable if u are running multiple main blades (higher mass) and your rotor RPM is low and it is elevated tail.

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet