HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2002, 03:47 PM
Temecula, CA
Joined Aug 2002
18 Posts
Newbie Question-Where to get Foam for scratch building

Hi All,

I am new here, and want to try and scratch build a foam plane or two.

Not looking for anything too big, just a small indoor flyer or two.

What is the best material to use? I have seen references to numerous and I am looking for some guidance.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what materials and where to purchase them.

THANKS

-Peter
Peter_L is offline Find More Posts by Peter_L
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2002, 04:34 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Nov 2001
25 Posts
For a newbie foam builder (such as myself), you have to read the whole thread about building foam planes from fan-fold foam, also known as F3.

The link is here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=25136

In this thread you will see links to other sites such as http://www.foamfly.com/ and other Yahoo groups that have more information.

For myself, after reading the thread I just went to Home Depot, got a pack of pink fan-fold foam, and started messing around.

One thing I haven't heard much mention of is that when you heat the foam (oven, heat gun, iron, etc) it seems to harden the foam. This makes it more stiff and holds it's shape better, but it also seems to make it more brittle.

I tested three or four different glues and cutting techniques to find what I like, and found sand paper to be very useful.

Still trying to finish my first plane, but I am having fun. Enjoy!
beagle92 is offline Find More Posts by beagle92